PDA

View Full Version : Could it Be!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmartyLane
05-07-2009, 01:35 PM
By what Hal is saying in this article on bloodhorse RA in his opinion will be headed for the Preakness. Oh boy does this change the nature of this race if she runs.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50652/wiggins-reacts-to-losing-rachel

W2G
05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm not getting this. Why the rush to acquire RA and run her back in the Preakness just 2 weeks from the Oaks? Does Jackson see himself as a hero in stepping in and taking control so she can run against the boys for all to see? Forcing Borel's hand to give up MTB damages the compelling narrative that began in the Derby. I hope this thing sorts itself out...

Jinxed
05-07-2009, 06:46 PM
A lot of the horses are coming back after only 2 weeks rest, so I don't think that's the problem, but I do see it as a crappy situation for Borel, and the trainer/owner of MTB. I don't think without Borel aboard MTB he will be anywhere in the picture. Is it really about choices though when RA is such a great filly? It seems logical that Borel would go with her...sucky situation at best.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I predict that Borel will never ride RA again, and it won't be by choice.

With that said, I haven't read up on all the RA news expcept that she was sold to Jackson, so if this jockey issue has already been decided, then I apologize in advance.

Jinxed
05-07-2009, 08:22 PM
The only thing I've read is that Borel would choose the filly over MTB. That being said, I don't think anything is set in stone at this point. I don't think any decisions have been made either. I kind of thought that maybe he was committed to MTB, but I really have any idea. If he can swing it to ride RA, I think he will without a second thought.

joanied
05-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I predict that Borel will never ride RA again, and it won't be by choice.

With that said, I haven't read up on all the RA news expcept that she was sold to Jackson, so if this jockey issue has already been decided, then I apologize in advance.

I don't have the time now to look again, PA...but I am 99% sure I read that Steve A & Jackson will keep Calvin on RA.
I would looooooove to see RA in the Preakness...but IMHO, I think if they run her there, it's a rush job....they need to give her a little time to adjust to a new barn and new faces... it's a tough call to make :bang:

toussaud
05-07-2009, 09:47 PM
considering that cake walk in the oaks, I would say she has an advantage over the colts coming out the derby

Relwob Owner
05-07-2009, 09:59 PM
considering that cake walk in the oaks, I would say she has an advantage over the colts coming out the derby

Coulnt agree more....the two weeks doesnt bother me at all-that was a workout....well, a fast workout.

Pkus, this guy was aggressive with Curlin(relative to other owners) and I think he will be just as aggressive with her....good for him

SmartyLane
05-07-2009, 10:41 PM
I haven't been keeping up with this game for as long as many of you.....I really got into it the TC races of Point Given and have been addicted ever since with the sport. I have read all the Thoroughbred legend books and many others as well.........

The two week thing is not an issue whatsoever in my opinion although horses are different now then they used to be. In many books I have read owners/trainers would run horses back after 1 week or less sometimes.

rastajenk
05-08-2009, 07:01 AM
If this filly were anything other than Rachel Alexandra, say, for example Bellamy Road, or any old horse out there that catches an overmatched field and wins for fun...wouldn't there be detractors saying you can't take the Oaks fig at face value? I hope we hear from them soon; I just may jump on that wagon.

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Well, looks like I was wrong. I'm surprised they are letting Borel keep the mount...not that I don't think he's worthy...it's just that I would have thought Asmussen/Jackson would want "their" guy on their new $10M purchase.

Borel would have been nuts to say no to them...good for him that he gets to keep the mount.

Watcher
05-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Well, looks like I was wrong. I'm surprised they are letting Borel keep the mount...not that I don't think he's worthy...it's just that I would have thought Asmussen/Jackson would want "their" guy on their new $10M purchase.

Borel would have been nuts to say no to them...good for him that he gets to keep the mount.
Normal circumstances I'd agree, but seems to me this has too much of a spotlight on it. We're only a few days removed from the Derby and people are still reading/hearing about racing, reading about Borel (SI cover), etc...

For someone who talks about changing the sport as much as he does, Jackson would be a fool to yank Borel right now. The negative PR would be tremendous.

On the flip side, some might contend he'd be a fool to run her back in the Preakness and make Borel decide between RA/MTB.

sonnyp
05-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Normal circumstances I'd agree, but seems to me this has too much of a spotlight on it. We're only a few days removed from the Derby and people are still reading/hearing about racing, reading about Borel (SI cover), etc...

For someone who talks about changing the sport as much as he does, Jackson would be a fool to yank Borel right now. The negative PR would be tremendous.

On the flip side, some might contend he'd be a fool to run her back in the Preakness and make Borel decide between RA/MTB.

i posted this on another thread. RA is not guaranteed a spot in the preakness because she was NOT nominated and must be supplimented. that being the case, if 14 others enter who WERE nominated, then she's out because they get preference.

chip wolley said this a.m. if that happens, borel would still ride his horse.

joanied
05-08-2009, 07:14 PM
I wonder for how long Calvin thought about which one:confused: ...it was probably a no brainer for him...he adores RA and they go together like pork n' beans:) ...I feel a little bad for Woolley, but I'm sure he understands that Calvin wants to stay with RA. I heard that Mike Smith might be on The Bird in the Preakness.

OH...Watcher... that 10 million price tag was a bit overblown...I am now hearing somewhere between 3 and 4 million...which makes more 'cents' :D to me!!

Zenyatta To Crush
05-08-2009, 07:26 PM

The people who think Jess Jackson is a fool for running Rachel in the preakness shouldn't be surprised, or even upset with him. The reason why Jackson hurried to get this deal done so fast was to make sure she could run in the triple crown races. What if Jackson had decided to wait until the Belmont to run Rachel and Mine That Bird was also shooting for the triple crown? Now THAT would be a cruel thing to do to Calvin.

The problem with the remaining triple crown races is that 1 3/16 miles in the Preakness is a good distance for Rachel, but 2 weeks might be too soon, and 1 1/2 miles in the Belmont is a little too far for my liking, but the time between races is good. Either choice has some problems, might as well run her in the Preakness considering how easy she won the Oaks, and also to avoid the possible bigger conflict of taking Calvin off a horse 2/3's of the way to a triple crown.

Watcher
05-08-2009, 07:38 PM
I wonder if Jackson doesn't have his eyes on taking 2 of the 3 TC races, letting people speculate what could have been had she ran the Derby.

toetoe
05-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Forcing Borel's hand to give up MTB damages the compelling narrative

I think the narrative becomes even more compelling.

joanied
05-08-2009, 09:00 PM
I wonder if Jackson doesn't have his eyes on taking 2 of the 3 TC races, letting people speculate what could have been had she ran the Derby.

I was thinking the same thing:)

beerbong
05-08-2009, 09:23 PM
The 2 week spacing of races may be difficult on her.The old connections had planned to run her Belmont weekend ,she will be changing training plans and race spacing.If she wins ,I'll lose.

Watcher
05-08-2009, 09:26 PM
The 2 week spacing of races may be difficult on her.The old connections had planned to run her Belmont weekend ,she will be changing training plans and race spacing.If she wins ,I'll lose.
Wouldn't surprise me if she goes off the chalk. Would increase the odds on your other picks, that's for sure.

Rackon
05-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I think she will definitely go off as favorite if she runs - who else? MTB? Not if RA runs, great story aside. POTN? Naw...everybody remembers RA's easy lope home 20 lengths in front in the Oaks.

Watcher
05-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Musket Man, Friesan Fire?

Cratos
05-08-2009, 11:25 PM
By what Hal is saying in this article on bloodhorse RA in his opinion will be headed for the Preakness. Oh boy does this change the nature of this race if she runs.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50652/wiggins-reacts-to-losing-rachel

There is no denying that up to this point Rachel Alexdrana has proven to be a magnificent filly. But is she a Personal Ensign, a Lady Secret, a Shuvee (my favorite) or any of the fillies/mares from year’s past who beat the “boys”?

I will withhold my conclusion, but if she would run in this year’s Preakness I would bet against her because I don’t like fillies/mares against the “boys” at the graded stakes level on dirt and I particularly don’t like 3yo fillies against colts and geldings going a distance.

Yes, I know about Genuine Risk and Winning Colors and they were very good fillies and you can throw in Rag to Riches who beat one of the best 3yos in Curlin to come along in a long time.

Another reason why don’t I like Rachel Alexandra is her breeding for distance. Her sire, Medaglia d’Or was one of the best 1-1/8 horses to ever run, but beyond that distance he was suspect and if memory serves me well he only won once beyond that distance while in six 1-1/8M races he had 5 wins and was second in the other by a head.