PDA

View Full Version : oklahoma joins Texas........tells Congress .....

JustRalph
05-07-2009, 04:08 AM
http://www.newsok.com/house-bypasses-governors-veto-to-claim-oklahomas-sovereignty/article/3366762

House bypasses governor’s veto to claim Oklahoma’s sovereignty

The House passed the measure 73-22. It now goes to the Senate.

"We’re going to get it done one way or the other,” said the resolutions’ author, Rep. Charles Key, R-Oklahoma City.

"I think our governor is out of step.”

House Democrats objected, saying the issue already had been taken up and had been vetoed, but House Speaker Pro Tempore Kris Steele, R-Shawnee, ruled the veto is not final action.

Key said he expects HCR 1028 will pass in the Senate. HJR 1003 earlier passed the House 83-18 and won approval in the Senate 29-18.

Henry vetoed HJR 1003 because he said it suggested, among other things, that Oklahoma should return federal tax dollars.

Key said HCR 1028, which, if passed, would be sent to Democratic President Barack Obama and the Democratic-controlled Congress, would not jeopardize federal funds but would tell Congress to "get back into their proper constitutional role.” The resolution states the federal government should "cease and desist” mandates that are beyond the scope of its powers.

Key said many federal laws violate the 10th Amendment, which says powers not delegated to the U.S. government "are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.” The Constitution lists about 20 duties required of the U.S. government, he said.

more at the link

ArlJim78
05-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Here (http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2009/02/23/state-sovereignty-resolutions/) is a handy site that is following the various 10th ammendment resolutions around the country. Napolitano must have her staff on overtime following up on all this right-wing extremism.

Bubba X
05-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Ok, Ralph, I read the article. Do you know what the beef is; specifically, which part of the Consitution precludes the Fed gov't from issuing bailout funds?

I get the whole thing but do you ever wonder if the people of Oklahoma are happy their state legislature is spending its time on what is pretty much just a political position?

46zilzal
05-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Whenever Quebec wants something they yell succession from the commonwealth and the government gives in to their request.

If they ever did leave they would have no currency, no foreign relations apparatus, no military, and would collapse.

A ploy with a beard on it a mile long.

Tom
05-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Ok, Ralph, I read the article. Do you know what the beef is; specifically, which part of the Consitution precludes the Fed gov't from issuing bailout funds?

I get the whole thing but do you ever wonder if the people of Oklahoma are happy their state legislature is spending its time on what is pretty much just a political position?

The question is, what part of it authorizes it to do so. The Fed has ONLY the right specifically granted by the constitution. All other right default to the
states.

Tom
05-07-2009, 01:47 PM
If they ever did leave they would have no currency, no foreign relations apparatus, no military, and would collapse.

And if they stay, that ill happen to the Union. :lol:
Might as well take your shot sans Obama.

Bubba X
05-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Let Oklahoma go. In fact, the whole Big-12 Conference can go.

ArlJim78
05-07-2009, 02:16 PM
wow, people seem to have no clue. this is not about secession. its about having the Fed's stick to their mandates, which are exactly things like defense and foreign relations.

Bubba X
05-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes. Trivial things like interstate commerce should not be regulated in any way by the federal government. At least Phil Gramm would agree. Then again, if you said the recession is just a mental condition of some people, Phil Gramm would agree with that.

ArlJim78
05-07-2009, 03:13 PM
yes, states should never resist and push back against additional federal strings. they should bend over and adapt to whatever comes from Washington because Washington ALWAYS knows better.

the states created the federal government, and now it has run amuck.

Tom
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
This whole think is just another Obama lie.
The so called FREE money the states are getting lock them into foolish expenditures down the road. Obama has twisted the truth about this. A fiscal responsible state would have nothing to do with Obama - the worst spender and waster in our history. Nay, I say, of the WORLD! You would be better advised to tey one of theose Nigerian email offers tham take money from Obama. Ya gots a betta shot, fer shore! :lol:

riskman
05-07-2009, 03:38 PM
As times go on and the economic landscape becomes even gloomier, we are more likely to see many more of these kinds of initiatives on the part of state legislatures.

There are twenty-eight states starting to move towards a sovereign itinerary. They are fed up with the federal government's oppressive laws around their necks.

The rapid socialization of America, will have the effect of turning many states toward more radical plans of action. One can only hope ---

Tom
05-07-2009, 03:45 PM
I an 100% convinced that we do not need, nor can we survive, with all 50 states in a union. We must trim down, cut deadwood, and rebuilt ourselves based on like beliefs. We are diluted beyond repair and the inevitable is our slump into a third world nation. John Edwards was right, there are two Americas - a Red on ad a Blue one.

NJ Stinks
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
John Edwards was right, there are two Americas - a Red on ad a Blue one.

Uh-oh. I see a graph from Hcap on the horizon. :)

jballscalls
05-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I an 100% convinced that we do not need, nor can we survive, with all 50 states in a union. We must trim down, cut deadwood, and rebuilt ourselves based on like beliefs. We are diluted beyond repair and the inevitable is our slump into a third world nation. John Edwards was right, there are two Americas - a Red on ad a Blue one.

is cutting the "deadwood", our own people, is that the American way?

Tom
05-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Many of the "deadwood" are NOT our own people. They here illegally.
Many of the deadwood are not contributing and have been leeches for generations. In the colonial days, you didn't contribute, they put you out. So yes, thinning the heard is the American way.

Hey, I'm saying give the deadwood certain states, free and clear to do with as they wish. They can even have prime agricultural land. But which America would you choose to live in, the one populated by anchors or the one populated by those who carried the whole ball of wax up until now? I'm willing to move - no way NY will be anything other than a blue state full of anchors.

jballscalls
05-08-2009, 10:35 AM
if it means moving to Texas, i'd rather stay with the anchors :)

socantra
05-08-2009, 11:02 AM

Actually, a great many of us here in Okieland call our legislators daily, suggesting these sorts of bills. We've found that the lege does a lot less harm when engaged in this sort of political masturbation than when they are actively engaged in screwing up things in the real world.

ArlJim78
05-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Actually, a great many of us here in Okieland call our legislators daily, suggesting these sorts of bills. We've found that the lege does a lot less harm when engaged in this sort of political masturbation than when they are actively engaged in screwing up things in the real world.
exactly, that's why i've always been a big fan of gridlock. The press talks about how the people want government action and to get things done. Hogwash, some us think they've done enough and would rather they do nothing. At least it can't get any worse with gridlock.

the worst thing is a goverment like we have now, active and hellbent on solving problems. government has never solved a problem. It only creates never ending costly dependencies, kinda like a crack dealer.

ArlJim78
05-08-2009, 12:51 PM
more evidence why you don't want your state to become beholden to the feds. If you mess with one of the groups on their preferred status list, namely unions, you get Washingtons long arm reaching out to tell you what to do, OR ELSE.

The Obama administration threatens to rescind billions in stimulus money if Gov. Schwarzenegger and lawmakers do not restore wage cuts to unionized home healthcare workers.
By Evan Halper
May 8, 2009
Reporting from Sacramento -- The Obama administration is threatening to rescind billions of dollars in federal stimulus money if Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and state lawmakers do not restore wage cuts to unionized home healthcare workers approved in February as part of the budget.

more at the link (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-health-cuts8-2009may08,0,4592200.story)

"Madman" government, do what we say or we'll ruin you one way or the other.
"Luca Brasi, call your office"