PDA

View Full Version : Race Fixing Scandal At Tampa Bay

Cangamble
05-06-2009, 11:35 PM
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090506/BREAKING/905069948/2055/NEWS?Title=Jockey-charged-in-bribery-case-at-Tampa-Bay-Downs

toussaud
05-06-2009, 11:55 PM
oh noez

Spectacular Sid
05-06-2009, 11:58 PM
details on some of the races involved

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/indictment-valdes-threw-races-bribed-other-jockeys/

startngate
05-07-2009, 09:35 AM
This is not a new thing, it's just finally seeing some movement on why all the jockeys were banned from Tampa a couple of years ago.

It's about time!

Unfortunately it's going to take years to go through the courts, but at least all the jockeys in question will have their chance to defend themselves.

For the industry's sake, I hope it turns into much ado about nothing, but if any of them are guilty I hope they get the book thrown at them.

lamboguy
05-07-2009, 09:51 AM
this sounds great, but i wonder how a 110 pound jockey can control a 2000 pound horse. the jockey might try to trap the horse on the inside, or try giving the horse a wide trip, or try yanking the horse which you could see in broad daylight. if these horses were held it would have had to be done at the barn with the knowledge of the trainer. he could have loaded the horse up with water, mis shoed the horse or a variation of other things. but just coming after the jockey is a good thing, but there has to be something more to the story.

andymays
05-07-2009, 10:03 AM
this sounds great, but i wonder how a 110 pound jockey can control a 2000 pound horse. the jockey might try to trap the horse on the inside, or try giving the horse a wide trip, or try yanking the horse which you could see in broad daylight. if these horses were held it would have had to be done at the barn with the knowledge of the trainer. he could have loaded the horse up with water, mis shoed the horse or a variation of other things. but just coming after the jockey is a good thing, but there has to be something more to the story.

When Jockeys manipulate a race they do it through the "pace", or lack thereof. For example they can "send" into an already fast pace or they can rate and let someone else get loose on the lead. If you're on a closer that needs to relax early you can push early and take the Horse out of his game.

In my opinion 90% of the Jockey stuff has to do with manipulating the pace!

onefast99
05-07-2009, 03:25 PM
This is not a new thing, it's just finally seeing some movement on why all the jockeys were banned from Tampa a couple of years ago.

It's about time!

Unfortunately it's going to take years to go through the courts, but at least all the jockeys in question will have their chance to defend themselves.

For the industry's sake, I hope it turns into much ado about nothing, but if any of them are guilty I hope they get the book thrown at them.
This will be forgotten in a year or two as the charges of race fixing must be proven and it seems as if several of the races that were given in the story don't exactly add up to a race fix based on the chart info. Just my .02

Cangamble
05-07-2009, 05:21 PM
This will be forgotten in a year or two as the charges of race fixing must be proven and it seems as if several of the races that were given in the story don't exactly add up to a race fix based on the chart info. Just my .02
I read the indictment. It looks like they have a lot evidence from phone tapping.
http://www.ocala.com/assets/pdf/OS1629656.PDF

onefast99
05-07-2009, 05:33 PM
I read the indictment. It looks like they have a lot evidence from phone tapping.
http://www.ocala.com/assets/pdf/OS1629656.PDF
Looks solid but so did OJ(1st time).

MzDucat
05-08-2009, 03:32 AM
The Paulick Report has a link to the indictment in his blog. They mention phone calls from the principles to a Northville mutuel teller. Wonder if it came in on a land line (which privately owned tracks are allowed to record) or if the clerk was allowed a cell phone while at the window. I can just picture this clerk shutting down a line of bettors while cranking through their buddies action. :lol:

Wonder if he had to share the horses with the line supervisor and the clerks within earshot so he could do it.

How did they cover his cashbox by the last race? They couldn't alway win.

Otis11
05-08-2009, 09:35 AM
They mention phone calls from the principles to a Northville mutuel teller. ... I can just picture this clerk shutting down a line of bettors while cranking through their buddies action. :lol:
Line of bettors at Northville? LOL!!!!

How did they cover his cashbox by the last race? They couldn't alway win.
Spoke with some old time ND regulars yesterday. They know of the guy who is being charged. Has a reputation as a big time player at ND. My guys don't believe the teller was in on the fixing but was the person who would take the bets when Mr. Big was not at the track. Speculation is that the teller carried "seed" money to cover the action.

rrbauer
05-08-2009, 09:55 AM

a "2000 pound horse"? Are you wearing magnifying glasses or didn't they stop feeding those animals steroids?

cj's dad
05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
jockey can control a 2000 pound horse........ he could have loaded the horse up with water

a "2000 pound horse"? Are you wearing magnifying glasses or didn't they stop feeding those animals steroids?

Hey Rich, he did say the horse could have been loaded up w/ water.

Bruddah
05-08-2009, 10:45 AM
jockey can control a 2000 pound horse........ he could have loaded the horse up with water

Hey Rich, he did say the horse could have been loaded up w/ water.

It could have been Clydesdales, who had been bingeing in the Oats bin, then loading up on water. :eek: Well, you never know. :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

BillW
05-08-2009, 10:49 AM
It could have been Clydesdales

A Bud longshot maybe? :confused:

Show Me the Wire
05-08-2009, 11:04 AM
It happens. After the lasix is administered the horse is denied water till after the race. Sometimes the groom, accidently leaves a full water bucket ( :) ), which the horse will empty. This is bad. Try it at home. Drink water until your stomach is full of it and try to run. You will see how easy it is for a favorite to show unexplained poor form.

Just think the advantage certain people would have if by some stroke of luck they figured out which grooms would be negligent in their duties that race day.