PDA

View Full Version : DEL 1 (5/6/09)

ryesteve
05-06-2009, 01:41 PM
So, the #4 is declared a non-starter because he started to rear in the gate as the stalls opened. Since when is something like this not considered tough luck?

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2009, 12:18 AM
The assistant must have held onto him as he reared...thereby technically interfering with the horse.

Of course, I didn't see the race, so this is merely a best guess on my part, since nobody else has responded to this thread.

wisconsin
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
The track feed showed the replay over and over, and before the gates even opened, the horse was acting up and tilted it's head far downward and to the left, and I am quite sure at that point the assistant starter would have grabbed the horse at the same time that the gate sprung open. I'm also pretty sure the stewards asked the assistant starter if he had the horse in his hands or not when the gate opened. Right call, IMHO.

ryesteve
05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Yes, that would justify it, and it could be true, but in the track announcer's announcement of the decision, he didn't mention that the horse was being held. He only said, "the horse was acting up and the jockey was almost off the horse"