PDA

View Full Version : UK to Savage: Keep Out!

Golf and Horses
05-05-2009, 10:53 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=39618
Rush and Hannity next?

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Any fair minded individual should be deeply troubled by this story. There is absolutely no plausible reason why Savage should be included on a list such as that...

But, with that said, I hope Obama creates his own list like that and starts arresting "righties" simply for what they say on the air. I hope he hauls Limbaugh off to jail, gives Hannity the chair and tells Spain to handle the rest.

That's what I hope.

Tom
05-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Didn't we leave Britain because they were a bunch of losers a few hundred years ago? My oh my, they do a have a butt-ugly royal family, though!
How old is old Lizzy now? 245? She don't look a day over bloody 200! :lol::lol:

cj's dad
05-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I wish someone could explain to me why the liberals of the world are so intolerant of views which do not coincide with theirs and are not chastised for that intolerance, yet conservatives are expected to fall in line with the lefts views on:

abortion
same sex marriage
gay rights
religious bigotry
hatred of the military,
capital punishment
school prayer
illegal immigration
welfare rights
taxes

May all 8,000,000 to 10,000,000 listeners of the Michael Savage show just say no to the UK. There are many more vacation spots worth visiting.

Our grandfathers saved the UK's ass 60+ years ago and this is the thanks their descendents get ??

HUSKER55
05-06-2009, 11:49 AM
good point cj. those listeners should not buy anything from UK either.

BlueShoe
05-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Did not see any Leftists on that list did you?Did see an anti gay preacher.Just how dangerous Savage and the preacher are to British security is rather puzzling.What is not puzzling but alarming is the possibility of Comrade Obamavitch sending his storm troopers to arrest any and all that voice opposition to his policies.After all,Janet is making a list,right?

46zilzal
05-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Ridiculous: every point of view should have a platform. Can recall how proud I was of UCLA to let George Lincoln Rockwell (head of the American Nazi Party) who came on campus to promote his hate mongering and got to see Triumph of the Will. All the Jewish student stood up and turned their backs to him. It was an interesting confrontation.

let the loons talk and judge them on WHAT THEY DO, not what they MIGHT do.

NJ Stinks
05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
The UK has enough problems dealing with residents within the UK. Why import more problems?

The question is this: Is Mike Savage an extremist? Well, yes. He is on the extreme right on many issues. Could he stir up trouble while visiting the UK? Yep. Does the UK need the 'privilege' of Savage potentially stirring up trouble there? Nope.

Personally, I would not have banned him. But then I'm not going to have to deal with any possible problems either. At any rate, I'll be visiting England in the fall. It really is a great place to visit if you haven't been there. ;)

Here's two articles from UK newspapers covering this story. The first is from a conservative newspaper - The Daily Telegraph.

Extremists banned from Britain named by Home Office

Extremists and preachers of hate who have been banned from Britain are named by the Government for the first time.

By Richard Edwards, Crime Correspondent
Last Updated: 2:30PM BST 05 May 2009

A total of 101 individuals - including dozens of radical Muslim clerics, such as Omar Bakri - have been excluded in the past four years, using new powers introduced after the July 7 bombings in 2005.

Two thirds of them have been banned for "fomenting, justifying or glorifying terrorist violence" and provoking others to carry out terrorist atrocities.

The 16 named today, who have been excluded in the past six months, include six militant Muslims, four men who front Neo-Nazi groups, a Sri-Lankan Tamil Tiger leader, a former member of the Palestine Liberation Front and a right-wing American radio chat show host. Six others banned since October are not named because it is not considered "in the public interest".

More at the Daily Telegraph link below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5273709/Extremists-banned-from-Britain-named-and-shamed-by-Home-Office.html

__________________________________________________ ____

The second article is from The Mirror - a liberal newspaper:

Shock jock banned from UK 'to sue'

6/05/2009 (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/latest/2009/05/06/)

A US radio shock jock barred from entering the UK has said he will sue for defamation after his name appeared on the Home Office's list of 16 "least wanted".

Michael Savage, who hosts far-right talk show The Savage Nation, called Home Secretary Jacqui Smith a "lunatic" and said he was outraged that he had been named alongside hate preachers and a member of Hamas.

Ms Smith said she decided to make public the names of 16 people banned since October so others could better understand what sort of behaviour Britain was not prepared to tolerate.

More at The Mirror link below:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/latest/2009/05/06/shock-jock-banned-from-uk-to-sue-115875-21336247/

Quagmire
05-06-2009, 04:29 PM
good point cj. those listeners should not buy anything from UK either.

What else do they make over there besides English Muffins?

46zilzal
05-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Crumpets, Spotted Dick, Pasties...a lot of things

Quagmire
05-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Crumpets, Spotted Dick, Pasties...a lot of things

Thankfully none of what you mentioned has ever appeared on my shopping list.

cj's dad
05-06-2009, 04:37 PM

I'm not sure but I know the tooth fairy has her hands full !!

Quagmire
05-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure but I know the tooth fairy has her hands full !!

You know what they call people with white teeth in the UK?

Tourists

robert99
05-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Ridiculous: every point of view should have a platform. Can recall how proud I was of UCLA to let George Lincoln Rockwell (head of the American Nazi Party) who came on campus to promote his hate mongering and got to see Triumph of the Will. All the Jewish student stood up and turned their backs to him. It was an interesting confrontation.

let the loons talk and judge them on WHAT THEY DO, not what they MIGHT do.

I agree if it is a point of view but in MS's case he is clearly is not ever stating his honest point of view but a series of contrived fictitious statements he is paid for to make the maximum "shock" effect.

MS describes his own style as "explosive" and liberalism as a "mental disorder".

Naming him on the list would in any case almost certainly be with the prior agreement of the US. Such pretend "right wing" mouthpieces are a real danger to democracy and law and order in UK, as was the case in the 30's, the British National Party continues to gain ground as unemployment rises. The BNP is an openly fascist type racist party and they advertise such "whitie extremists" as MS to be heros of their cause. Extreme violence is provoked by them for maximum publicity at their rallies - not a time and place for rational open discussion (true free speech), just mob violence and hate - think Clockwork Orange.

The Home Office said that Mr Savage was "considered to be engaging in unacceptable behaviour by seeking to provoke others to serious criminal acts and fostering hatred which might lead to inter-community violence". He must be on US security radar for Home Office to take that view.

Miss Smith, Home Secretary, said: "Coming to the UK is a privilege and I refuse to extend that privilege to individuals who abuse our standards and values to undermine our way of life. Therefore, I will not hesitate to name and shame those who foster extremist views as I want them to know that they are not welcome here.

"The Government opposes extremism in all its forms and I am determined to stop those who want to spread extremism, hatred and violent messages in our communities from coming to our country. This is the driving force behind tighter rules on exclusions for unacceptable behaviour".

cj's dad
05-06-2009, 05:09 PM
"The Government opposes extremism in all its forms and I am determined to stop those who want to spread extremism, hatred and violent messages in our communities from coming to our country. This is the driving force behind tighter rules on exclusions for unacceptable behaviour".

Damn, guess I might as well withdraw my visa application.

Tom
05-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Good for you...you get to keep your teeth!

And if 46 offers you refreshments, stop at the crumpets! :eek:

Quagmire
05-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Good for you...you get to keep your teeth!

And if 46 offers you refreshments, stop at the crumpets! :eek:

Pasties maybe....but Spotted Dick??? :lol:

DJofSD
05-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Spotted Dick and Toad in the Hole are meals. But you knew that, right?

DJofSD
05-06-2009, 09:01 PM
So far, I think the best commentary following the British announcement banning Savage was from the female radio talk show host from Florida: "I am Spartacus. I am Savage."

Tom
05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Spotted Dick and Toad in the Hole are meals. But you knew that, right? Is that the English version of dinner and a show? :lol:

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2009, 03:16 AM
Is there anyone out there who can defend Savage being on that list, and do so with a straight face? Up until this point, the answer to this question is a resounding no.

And for the record, I have NEVER listened to him on the radio....EVER....I think I've been to his website less than five times in my life.

So, for all I know, he very well might be the next coming of Adolph H., but something tells me from the lack of passion in this thread, that he is not...

So, why is he on this list again?

Is the leader of Iran on the list? Just curious....

Lefty
05-07-2009, 03:17 AM
stinks, lemme get this straight. The UK has a whole passel of Muslims that wants to put the UK under Sharia law and you think they should be worried about a talk show host? Good Gawd!

toetoe
05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Robert I.Q.-of-99,

Your view would be welcome, but you are clearly flaming to provoke a certain reaction ... blah, blah, blah ...

The Anglophobe

NJ Stinks
05-07-2009, 01:11 PM
stinks, lemme get this straight. The UK has a whole passel of Muslims that wants to put the UK under Sharia law and you think they should be worried about a talk show host? Good Gawd!

They no longer have to worry about Savage, Lefty. :)

It's not like Savage is losing an inalienable right. It's a foreign country and he's been deemed an extremist and barred. He is an extremist - I haven't read anybody here deny it.

I guess if Savage's defamation lawsuit against Smith goes to court we will hear more reasons the UK finds him undesirable. That would be interesting but somehow I doubt the lawsuit will ever reach a courtroom.

Tom
05-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I would sooner have Savage visit than Obama, the REAL extremist.
Extreme racist, extreme liar, extreme cowards, extreme murderer........Savage is talk show host. Obama is a dangerous enemy of freedom.

DJofSD
05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
So, any one that exercises their rights of freedom of speach is an extremist? Or is it just any one that disagrees with your policitical philosophy?

HUSKER55
05-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I wonder if MS would have made that list if he was a muslim?

Tom
05-07-2009, 03:08 PM
They would have paid his way.

toetoe
05-07-2009, 03:29 PM
PA,

NJStinks must go, Sir. I don't want to see him banned, but the argument for it is too compelling. He is a malodorous excrementist. It's true, you see --- no one denies it. I rank him with Adolf Hitler and the guy that created Friends. These are people that, you know, sometimes their dreadful attitudes make you just want to, you know, ban them, actually.

Cheerio.

NJ Stinks
05-07-2009, 05:02 PM
So, any one that exercises their rights of freedom of speach is an extremist? Or is it just any one that disagrees with your policitical philosophy?

Last I checked I didn't ban him, DJ.

NJ Stinks
05-07-2009, 05:15 PM
PA,

NJStinks must go, Sir. I don't want to see him banned, but the argument for it is too compelling. He is a malodorous excrementist. It's true, you see --- no one denies it. I rank him with Adolf Hitler and the guy that created Friends. These are people that, you know, sometimes their dreadful attitudes make you just want to, you know, ban them, actually.

Cheerio.

Now I see the light. You convinced me, Toetoe. Strangely enough, I never realized I was an extremist until I got to Off-Topic General. ;)

DJofSD
05-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Last I checked I didn't ban him, DJ.
You failed to respond to the questions. Don't shuck and jive then give me an evasive answer such as 'I didn't ban him.' Of coarse you did not ban him, you are not in a position to do so. I don't even get this type of avoidance from my nine year old son.

NJ Stinks
05-07-2009, 07:02 PM

OK. I'll try again.

Your first question: Not anyone. Savage has said extremely nasty stuff about Muslims for years. This could cause problems for the UK since they have a few million Muslims there and it's a small country in area.

Your second question: No. No further commentary needed.

Tell your 9 year old I said "Hi". :) Kids are great fun at 9!

toetoe
05-14-2009, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=NJ Stinks]OK. I'll try again.

Your first question: Not anyone. Savage has said extremely nasty stuff about Muslims for years. This could cause problems for the UK since they have a few million Muslims there and it's a small country in area.[QUOTE=NJ Stinks]

Please document the extremely nasty stuff, presumably false, and give me a range of many years. Then explain how coddling (through censorship) the ubuquitous Muslims, presumably too many for such a small space, helps anything. Keep it understandable to a nine-year-old.

DJofSD
05-14-2009, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=NJ Stinks]OK. I'll try again.

Your first question: Not anyone. Savage has said extremely nasty stuff about Muslims for years. This could cause problems for the UK since they have a few million Muslims there and it's a small country in area.[QUOTE=NJ Stinks]

Please document the extremely nasty stuff, presumably false, and give me a range of many years. Then explain how coddling (through censorship) the ubuquitous Muslims, presumably too many for such a small space, helps anything. Keep it understandable to a nine-year-old.
Good luck with that, toetoe!

I have concluded nasty means 'I do not like it.' Doesn't say if the nastiness was false, misleading, inaccurate, drawing incorrect conclusions, jumping to conclusions, hyperbol, etc.

Just because a person does not like something some one else says does not mean it is false. Just because you do not believe what the other person is saying does not mean what they are saying is wrong. Even some one you do not like perhaps even hate can tell the truth.

Saying something is nasty is just an opinion. Opinions are neither true or false. Any one that has had a disagreement with a spouse or loved one knows that.

riskman
05-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Any fair minded individual should be deeply troubled by this story. There is absolutely no plausible reason why Savage should be included on a list such as that...

But, with that said, I hope Obama creates his own list like that and starts arresting "righties" simply for what they say on the air. I hope he hauls Limbaugh off to jail, gives Hannity the chair and tells Spain to handle the rest.

That's what I hope.

Savage will get a lot of publicity from this and will milk it till it is dry. There is talk about a lawsuit--Maybe he can get the ACLU to represent him. :)

The Brits are way off on this one--Savage is not hateful --just a raving lunatic.

toetoe
05-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Just because ... Just because .

Just because you see Weiner as an extremist, suddenly we all agree. In other words, you're in fine Great Society hack debating form ( kindergarten level), preemptively ascribing to the opposition a viewpoint never proven to be held by said opposition, or by anyone else. You're the Judd Apatow of debating. :ThmbDown: .

Wait for someone to post that he thinks MW is an extremist, or take a poll. Then presume to speak for him.

DJofSD
05-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Just because you see Weiner as an extremist, suddenly we all agree. In other words, you're in fine Great Society hack debating form ( kindergarten level), preemptively ascribing to the opposition a viewpoint never proven to be held by said opposition, or by anyone else. You're the Judd Apatow of debating. :ThmbDown: .

Wait for someone to post that he thinks MW is an extremist, or take a poll. Then presume to speak for him.
I really do not care if we are in agreement or not.

I don't believe I have said whether or not I agree with assertion that Savage is an extremist or his utterances are nasty. The point needs to be made that in a free society opinions can be freely expressed and not surpressed. Or, in other words, I may not like what you have to say but I will defend your right to say it (and whether or not Voltaire did or did not say it, it is still the correct position to take).

And for you to claim that I now have the opinion that Savage is an extremist makes you guilty of exactly what you are accusing me of: preemptively ascribing to the opposition a viewpoint never proven to be held by said opposition.

Yes, my preceeding post is rather simple and at the kindergarten level. That is the kindergarten level of debate rules. First rule of debates is to define your terms. The word nasty is an important part of the reponse from NJStinks. We still don't have a good understanding of the connotative meaning of the word. It needed to be clarified.

toetoe
05-15-2009, 01:58 PM
DJ,

Whoa, boy. WHOA !!!

I was responding to the GREAT NJStinks.

Apologies for any confusion. I think my [QUOTE] skills need honing.

DJofSD
05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
DJ,

Whoa, boy. WHOA !!!

I was responding to the GREAT NJStinks.

Apologies for any confusion. I think my [QUOTE] skills need honing.
Oops! :blush:

Please accept my appologies.