PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb question

Oaklawn
05-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Why don't HORSES wear goggles when it's muddy? If you can fit blinkers, then why not goggles? I was thinking this after Gen. Quarters trainer said his eye was packed with mud after the K Derby.

46zilzal
05-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Risky maneuver on any track that is muddy

ryesteve
05-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Why don't HORSES wear goggles when it's muddy?Because as soon as the first clump of mud hits them, they'll be blind. Generally their eyelids are able to keep their eyes clear.

sonnyp
05-05-2009, 04:42 PM
jocks wear a dozen or more sets of goggles and continue to pull them down as they get covered with mud during the race.

although nature hasn't provided the horse with perfect eye gear, its not bad as far as keeping mud and dirt clear and from not obstructing their vision. once a goggle was covered by mud, and that would happen early in the race, there would be no way the horse could see. if he cant see...he cant run.

Jinxed
05-05-2009, 06:54 PM
A horse would be blinded in no time on a muddy track. The jocks wear several pairs of goggles that they change during the race. The horses with blinkers on finished deal last.

HandyKapper
05-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Just to clarify here. Tom said that he removed a wedge of mud the size of a tennis ball from General Quarters right nostril right after the race.

sonnyp
05-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Just to clarify here. Tom said that he removed a wedge of mud the size of a tennis ball from General Quarters right nostril right after the race.

i think tom may be exagerating........just slightly. i'd buy a golf ball.

maxwell
05-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I believe horses have a third eyelid that acts like a windshield wiper.

MzDucat
05-06-2009, 07:11 PM
If a horse has had a previous eye injury or lost the eye, they wear an isinglass cup, which is like a bubble that protects the eye from being reinjured. Once the eye is healed, they stop using it.

chickenhead
05-07-2009, 12:21 AM
It's not that dumb of a question, you could have little windshield wipers on the goggles I suppose.

A really dumb question would have been why don't the horses have mud flaps.

Oaklawn
05-07-2009, 02:18 PM

"When they got back to the barn, McCarthy said there was a quarter inch of mud caked onto General Quarters’ lower left eye lid."

http://blog.timesunion.com/horseracing/another-chance-for-general-quarters/1220/

This is what I was referring to.