PDA

View Full Version : Another translate this quote for me...

Oaklawn
05-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Regarding Mine that Bird his former owner said (Cotney?)

"He was for sale, if the price was right. There was nothing left for him here, and I wasn't going to take him to the Breeders' Cup. It would be too expensive, and he's a gelding - he could get hurt. If there was a time to sell him, that was it."

Horesemen, why could he be hurt as a gelding?

matthewsiv
05-05-2009, 03:07 PM
He could have been hurt traveling from Canada or in the Breeders Cup,and as a gelding would then have been worth nothing.

Relwob Owner
05-05-2009, 03:10 PM

"He was for sale, if the price was right. There was nothing left for him here, and I wasn't going to take him to the Breeders' Cup. It would be too expensive, and he's a gelding - he could get hurt. If there was a time to sell him, that was it."

all I can think is that he was thinking better to get the money now because you never know if he could get hurt his next time out or by running over his head? I think he had won over 300K so it is kind of strange that he said it would be too expensive...

sonnyp
05-05-2009, 03:16 PM

I believe his last owners who purchased MTB for $9,500 are canadian. they raced him in canada as a 2 y.o. and won canadian 2 y.o. colt awarded to horses owned and raced in canada. the 3 y.o. canadian triple crown, however, is for canadian BRED colts which would leave MTB out since he is, i believe, kentucky bred. thus, "nothing left for him here ".

"taking him to the breeders crown would be too expensive", probably means MTB was not originally nominated and they would have had to put up a large supplimental fee.

"he's a gelding" means with no physical ability to reproduce, there was no hope for income resulting from MTB ever being considered to stand at stud.

for their purposes, the original owners were justifying what they saw as a decision optomising their position.

there's an old saying around tracks about the continued risk of racing a horse that has already turned a huge profit that other people are interested in purchasing at an additionally great profit.

it says, "be sorry you sold instead of that you didn't " !

Jinxed
05-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Wasn't he in the Breeder's Cup Juveniles in 08, ridden by the female jockey? If I remember he finished last didn't he? So, he has been in the BC, right?

sonnyp
05-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Wasn't he in the Breeder's Cup Juveniles in 08, ridden by the female jockey? If I remember he finished last didn't he? So, he has been in the BC, right?

the current owners bought him before the BC and sent him to mandella.

Jinxed
05-05-2009, 03:36 PM
This statement by the previous owner must have been said in the past right? I'm not comprehending why he has anything to say about whether the horse goes to this year's Breeder's Cup or not. :confused:

sonnyp
05-05-2009, 03:49 PM
This statement by the previous owner must have been said in the past right? I'm not comprehending why he has anything to say about whether the horse goes to this year's Breeder's Cup or not. :confused:

i believe, after MTB won the derby, as the media always will do, they went to the guy who sold the colt before last year's BC and asked him, "why did you sell this horse "?

the quote, i believe is his rational and reasons for his decision to sell.

Oaklawn
05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
"he's a gelding" means with no physical ability to reproduce, there was no hope for income resulting from MTB ever being considered to stand at stud.

Ok, now I see. That makes perfect sense. Thank you. I was thinking the other horses would hurt him b/c he had no nuts! HA! :lol:

Jinxed
05-05-2009, 03:56 PM
There is still a lot of money to be made in running in the Breeders Cup though. Who knows what will happen if magic happens once more (but I seriously am doubting it).

sonnyp
05-05-2009, 04:13 PM
There is still a lot of money to be made in running in the Breeders Cup though. Who knows what will happen if magic happens once more (but I seriously am doubting it).

o.k. here goes:

the canadian bought a colt for $9,500 (less than the stud fee to produce him plus the expense of raising him from birth till he sold).

the canadian takes him home to canada and gets him to the races as a 2 y.o.
he earns $300,000 + in purses and somebody offers him $400,000 to sell.

i don't know how long you've been around tracks or horses, but at this point in the story the canadian is looking at a profit of near $690,000 on a $9,500 investment.

at this point in the story, again, we can't see the future. the colt, who has beaten, really, nobody in canada, is more likely to break a bone, bow a tendon, get so sick he never recovers, twist a gut than he is to go on to win tne kentucky derby !!!!

the owner takes the one in the hand (understandably so) than two in the bush. the quote we have discussed are his reasons for selling.

to the original owner, his decision to sell should never be questioned.

Jinxed
05-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I really have never bet Woodbine. It wasn't even an option in the city I'm in. Now the California tracks and NY tracks are a whole different story. I didn't have a form to handicap this year, and the printer is broken, and I could go on all day. I simply put money on the longshots without any handicapping at all. I know very little about horses coming out of Canada. I haven't been to the track in awhile. Our track here, Les Bois, closed down. I'm not questioning the rational of the past owner. I'm just wondering what may be the plans of the new owners down the road if he wins.

Thanks for explaining though.

Relwob Owner
05-05-2009, 04:18 PM
o.k. here goes:

the canadian bought a colt for $9,500 (less than the stud fee to produce him plus the expense of raising him from birth till he sold).

the canadian takes him home to canada and gets him to the races as a 2 y.o.
he earns $300,000 + in purses and somebody offers him $400,000 to sell.

i don't know how long you've been around tracks or horses, but at this point in the story the canadian is looking at a profit of near $690,000 on a $9,500 investment.

at this point in the story, again, we can't see the future. the colt, who has beaten, really, nobody in canada, is more likely to break a bone, bow a tendon, get so sick he never recovers, twist a gut than he is to go on to win tne kentucky derby !!!!

the owner takes the one in the hand (understandably so) than two in the bush. the quote we have discussed are his reasons for selling.

to the original owner, his decision to sell should never be questioned.

Could not agree more.....I Want Revenge is a perfect example of how quickly things can go sideways in a hurry just when they look the best and these guys would have been nuts not to seel him at that point IMHO. I also think it is cool how gracious they have been in their interviews as well

Jinxed
05-05-2009, 04:21 PM
I knew nothing about Mine This Bird, but apparently even the best of the handicappers never figured on this guy winning, so I feel kind of vilified in a way. No one had him unless they bet the longshots, and my winning on him was a fluke. I didn't know a darned thing about him. I merely put $5.00 on all the longshots. I didn't get vey rich for sure, but it was a win nonetheless.