PDA

View Full Version : Haskin Comment on Derby : Must Read : Riveting Story

BeatTheChalk
05-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Haskin's Derby Recap: Rare Bird Sighting
By Steve Haskin
Updated: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:03 AM
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2009 10:03 PM
Email Print RSS ShareThis(Portions of this column are taken from the Blood-Horse magazine recap. See magazine for the entire story)

PLEASE DON'T REPRODUCE THE FULL TEXT OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL HERE ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD!

THANK YOU!

Well, we saw one bird fly over the rainbow. The vast majority of experts and racing fans were astounded, aghast, and amazed at Mine That Bird’s otherworldly performance in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), in which he took off on a demonic dash as if he were being chased by a swarm of angry hornets.

It was unlike anything seen before in the Run for the Roses, or anywhere for that matter. Where it came from, no one knows. But you can bet all eyes will be glued to Mine That Bird in the Preakness to see if he can do it again. This will either prove to be one of the biggest fluke performances of all time or one of the most remarkable rebirths ever witnessed in the career of a Thoroughbred racehorse.

Mine That Bird turned speed figures and other handicapping tools into a pile of useless numbers and equations that had no bearing on the 135th Kentucky Derby.

The rest:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50619/haskins-derby-recap-rare-bird-sighting

WinterTriangle
05-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Zito obviously wasn't "floored".

"Each day, Figueroa watched the Derby horses gallop a mile and three-eighths or a mile and a half and they were coming back blowing. He and Mine That Bird were going two miles every day at a pretty good lick on every kind of track and not once did the horse come back blowing.

The day Borel worked him (April 27) he brought him back in the barn and the horse almost unseated the jockey in the shedrow. Figueroa knew he was ready."

Other trainers interviewed during workouts, as well as tons of "commentary" on those horses..........I know why don't they give us these interesting stories before the derby on a horse like MTB? The horse not blowing was definitely a positive.

joanied
05-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Zito obviously wasn't "floored".

"Each day, Figueroa watched the Derby horses gallop a mile and three-eighths or a mile and a half and they were coming back blowing. He and Mine That Bird were going two miles every day at a pretty good lick on every kind of track and not once did the horse come back blowing.

The day Borel worked him (April 27) he brought him back in the barn and the horse almost unseated the jockey in the shedrow. Figueroa knew he was ready."

Other trainers interviewed during workouts, as well as tons of "commentary" on those horses..........I know why don't they give us these interesting stories before the derby on a horse like MTB? The horse not blowing was definitely a positive.

I read that too...and Bird wasn't blowing after the Derby either... I need to check his pedigree...he might be a large heart horse...I'd doubt they did a heart score on him...
and his not blowing after 2 mile gallops...and that last work with Calvin...makes you think this little gelding has a pretty damned good shot at taking down the Preakness.

I love this stuff:jump:

cj's dad
05-06-2009, 12:43 PM
You gotta love these DRF guys coming back after the fact and calling the win a fluke. Hey Steve, are you just pissed off because you didn't have him in your "expert analysis"?

You called his victory a "fluke"

fluke _ definition fluke - noun - a result, esp. a successful one, brought about by accident; stroke of luck

The little guy ran his ass off and confouded you and your colleagues so his victory was a "fluke".

"Mine That Bird turned speed figures and other handicapping tools into a pile of useless numbers and equations that had no bearing on the 135th Kentucky Derby."

The info was there, most simply missed it !!

RXB
05-06-2009, 07:33 PM
You gotta love these DRF guys coming back after the fact and calling the win a fluke. Hey Steve, are you just pissed off because you didn't have him in your "expert analysis"?

You called his victory a "fluke"

fluke _ definition fluke - noun - a result, esp. a successful one, brought about by accident; stroke of luck

The little guy ran his ass off and confouded you and your colleagues so his victory was a "fluke".

"Mine That Bird turned speed figures and other handicapping tools into a pile of useless numbers and equations that had no bearing on the 135th Kentucky Derby."

The info was there, most simply missed it !!

Haskin's actual words, in full context:

"This will either prove to be one of the biggest fluke performances of all time or one of the most remarkable rebirths ever witnessed in the career of a Thoroughbred racehorse."

So he hasn't concluded that it was a fluke.

P.S., Haskin is a very knowledgable racing reporter and actually wrote a few days before the race that Mine That Bird was looking very strong in his gallops.

cj's dad
05-06-2009, 07:46 PM
remarkable rebirth ??? from what ??

DJofSD
05-06-2009, 07:51 PM
There is a part of the story that has yet to be discussed. IMO, it is the most important item to take note of while all the rest is just so much fluff (converting a four stall trailer into a two stall is not that significant).

fmolf
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
remarkable rebirth ??? from what ??
he was right and i will admit i never gave the horse a second look...off the handicapping data available no way this horse was ever a contender.... so call it a rebirth or the greatest training job hiding this horses form call it whatever it was highly improbable anybody who says otherwise is redboarding or has just chosen to look at the small amount of data that mildly points to positive things about this horse and chooses to ignore the myriad other data that places the horse in a negative light!

cj's dad
05-06-2009, 08:02 PM
I just don't like Haskin or any other writer trying to diminish the connections because his h'capping was flawed as was most everyone else who posts here.

I guess he has to write about something or else he might have to actually do something productive.

fmolf
05-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I just don't like Haskin or any other writer trying to diminish the connections because his h'capping was flawed as was most everyone else who posts here.

I guess he has to write about something or else he might have to actually do something productive.
my hats off to the connections they appear to have a fine horse their...lets see how they do the rest of the way.....these reporters have to fill the paper with something .....we basically do the same thing on here in our own little way...

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2009, 01:03 AM
he was right and i will admit i never gave the horse a second look...off the handicapping data available no way this horse was ever a contender.... so call it a rebirth or the greatest training job hiding this horses form call it whatever it was highly improbable anybody who says otherwise is redboarding or has just chosen to look at the small amount of data that mildly points to positive things about this horse and chooses to ignore the myriad other data that places the horse in a negative light!A horse who is 4 for 8 lifetime with one second....Canadian 2yo champion....

HOW THE HELL IS THAT HIDING FORM? :lol:

JPinMaryland
05-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Running 4th in New Mexico, is not exactly showcasing. :8:

fmolf
05-07-2009, 01:42 AM
A horse who is 4 for 8 lifetime with one second....Canadian 2yo champion....

HOW THE HELL IS THAT HIDING FORM? :lol:
he lost an msw...won an mcl62.5 beating 5 other horses ditto for both his stakes wins sprinting only beat five horses..did not win another race until the derby!...looks like your average kentucky derby contender!...give me a break!...how many other two yr olds in canada can you name off the top of your head that have accomplished anything!

BeatTheChalk
06-22-2009, 01:12 PM
he lost an msw...won an mcl62.5 beating 5 other horses ditto for both his stakes wins sprinting only beat five horses..did not win another race until the derby!...looks like your average kentucky derby contender!...give me a break!...how many other two yr olds in canada can you name off the top of your head that have accomplished anything!

The Breeding is there ... sometimes It shows early -- sometimes late..
and maybe never. Longshots win everyday

rokitman
06-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I like :8: in the Derby.

LottaKash
06-22-2009, 02:49 PM
For me, at first glance, my first reaction to the outcome of the Derby was one of complete surprise....As the pieces of the puzzle were sorted out later, I have to admit, that there "was" a very strong case for MTB to win that event....I suppose that, I, as well as many others, may have been too enamored and caught up with the last few races and current form of the other participants, and consequently for me, I just plain glossed over MTB's accomplishments...shame on me....

A handicapping scenario such as this, is what I, and most of us diligent players are "really" looking for, "a little hidden form", it was there....Next year maybe...:jump:

best,