PDA

View Full Version : itd be nice to see a triple crown bid with a closer!

Zippy Chippy
05-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I think in my lifetime if seen about 7 triple crown bids but they are never the come from behind type horses. I really would love to see mine that bird win the preakness because belmont sets up so good for those late runners

ArlJim78
05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
how many late closers win the Belmont?

Jinxed
05-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Winng the TC is very difficult, as evidenced by all the years it hasen't been done. There are a lot of fresh horses brought in for the Belmont that prove to be spoilers. I so thought Smarty Jones was going all the way, but it wasn't to be. These horses are exhausted by the time they get there, and how many times has it been spoiled by a fresh horse.

It's been a thought of mine that all the same horses have to run all 3 races, and no new fresh horses, but that isn't going to happen, and once again we are going to be foiled.

I kind of think Join In The Dance could run away with the Preakness with the speed he has, but there are others in there I don't know much about.

46zilzal
05-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Energy distribution wise MOST of them are LATE

You won't see a positional closer again anytime soon particularly at Baltimore

fmolf
05-04-2009, 05:37 PM

i am not really sure this horse is a closer all his other wins came either on the lead or from a stalking pressing position...this is the only race he came from the clouds in and it was by accident because borel missed the break!

ArlJim78
05-04-2009, 05:44 PM

agains, which horse won the Belmont that you would call a "late closer".

no clue what Baltimore has to do with the Belmont.

Jinxed
05-04-2009, 05:47 PM

I've only see one horse that came out of the 10 slot and closed at Belmont in the Preakness to win the Classic, and that was Cigar, but he was making up ground the whole time just eating them up.

cj's dad
05-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I've only see one horse that came out of the 10 slot and closed at Belmont in the Preakness to win the Classic, and that was Cigar, but he was making up ground the whole time just eating them up.

say WHAT !!

46zilzal
05-04-2009, 07:34 PM
again, which horse won the Belmont that you would call a "late closer".

Many late running styles with % medians in the mid 65's have won, year in year out. The little girl was one of them

46zilzal
05-04-2009, 07:35 PM

Don't think Cigar was running on dirt at three

Relwob Owner
05-04-2009, 07:51 PM

You blasted someone for changing their opinion on another thread....you might want to analyze your statement/opinion on this post because it is one of the weirdest things I have ever read...maybe you are having a couple of cocktails? :eek:

sonnyp
05-04-2009, 07:56 PM

"late closers" haven't done well in the belmont. by the time they get to the top of the stretch on "big sandy" having already traveled 1 1/4 miles, most find their prior strong kick has abandoned them.

general concensus is you'd better be close to the front.

Zippy Chippy
05-04-2009, 11:23 PM

Victory Gallop

JPinMaryland
05-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Jazil was definitely a closer. Birdstone is often mentioned as a closer although I cant really recall his other races. Was Easy Goer?

I have no idea what a "late closer" would be. Do many people make such a fine distinction among running styles.

Jinxed
05-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Don't think Cigar was running on dirt at three

When I saw Cigar he was probably close to 10 in 95. What did I miss in the subject? OK, my brain is fuzzy, so I'm calling it a night. I thought we were talking about horses closing at Belmont..sigh So this is strictly about the TC I'm assuming. My apologies. What did I change my mind about? Sorry you are obviously talking about the Preakness coming up, and I was talking about closers at Belmont.

What I had said I stand behind, and that is that I don't believe The Bird is going to win the Preakness, because I don't think there will be time to close at that distance. If he has some early speed he's going to need to show it. Now that Hull is in the race, I'd say he has his work cut out for him.

Right about now, a glass of wine sounds great.

Watcher
05-04-2009, 11:58 PM
i am not really sure this horse is a closer all his other wins came either on the lead or from a stalking pressing position...this is the only race he came from the clouds in and it was by accident because borel missed the break!
This is what I was going to post...

His Brisnet pace figures showed he was actually at the bottom of the list when it came to late race speed compared to the other horses in the Derby. He was also listed as an E/P.

Jinxed
05-04-2009, 11:59 PM
:confused: how many late closers win the Belmont?
I was talking to this poster about closers at Belmont.

Jinxed
05-05-2009, 12:05 AM

OK, this is where this thread got confusing. Someone was talking about "how many closers had won at Belmont"..somewhere the thread lost it's purpose, and I guess I contributed to it.

Lights out :)

Someplace the theme got lost.

ArlJim78
05-05-2009, 12:38 AM
"late closers" haven't done well in the belmont. by the time they get to the top of the stretch on "big sandy" having already traveled 1 1/4 miles, most find their prior strong kick has abandoned them.

general concensus is you'd better be close to the front.
well that is also my opinion. 12 furlongs takes the starch out of those big moves, of course a lot depends on how the race sets up and the quality of the field.

samyn on the green
05-05-2009, 04:28 AM
There will be a 12 furlong dirt race at Belmont on Thursday. Last year there were three 12 furlong dirt races and all three were won wire to wire.

cj's dad
05-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Jazil was definitely a closer. Birdstone is often mentioned as a closer although I cant really recall his other races. Was Easy Goer?

I have no idea what a "late closer" would be. Do many people make such a fine distinction among running styles.

Victory Gallop beat real Quiet and was a dead closer