PDA

View Full Version : Derby TV ratings way up

W2G
05-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Kentucky Derby gets highest TV ratings in 17 years

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5itTjRIWjFgpsV3hA_EAoPb8n8nlgD97VK64O0

No breakdowns, a cinderella story, and lots of people watched... there's some good news to brighten your day. :)

rjorio
05-04-2009, 04:48 PM
BUT HANDLE DECLINED

toussaud
05-04-2009, 05:23 PM
handle was going to decline, and I wouldn't read that much into it.

first of all, alot of people's top pick scratched out.

rather it be quality road or i want revenge

then the slop

you had to expect the handle to decline.

very good news

Relwob Owner
05-04-2009, 07:02 PM

then the slop

very good news

also, people arent exactly loaded with money to bet right now....nmot a huge factor but the current economy has to be a factor....

newtothegame
05-04-2009, 07:18 PM

then the slop

very good news

I know I personally cancelled several tickets when IWR scratched.....and still managed to lose 108.00:bang: lol

BeatTheChalk
05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
also, people arent exactly loaded with money to bet right now....nmot a huge factor but the current economy has to be a factor....

Umm can we get back to reality for a moment. The handle was around
155 Million. A 5 % drop from last year. Would anyone complain about
that ? Not me folks. In THIS economy. That is simply fan ta$ tic. IMHO

W2G
05-04-2009, 08:38 PM
BUT HANDLE DECLINED

Chin up my pessimistic friend. One step at a time. Gotta hook them in first, they'll start betting real money after that. This thing won't get fixed overnight.

joanied
05-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Agreed...with today's economy that 155 million looks pretty damn good to me...
the main thing is the TV ratings...and I'm thrilled about that...everyone should be.
What I'd like to know is why...what made a difference this year to gain this number in the ratings...was it advertising leading up to the Derby? We don't watch the networks very much...so maybe I missed all the TV ads for the Derby.... anyone have any ideas as to why we got such good ratings?
Anyway...whatever the reason...I would have to expect very good ratings for the Preakness now...'regular' folks will be watching to see if MTB can get the job done again.

OFFandRUNNING10
05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
I know I personally cancelled several tickets when IWR scratched.....and still managed to lose 108.00:bang: lol

I personally planned to bet around $150 - $175 in the derby and only spending about $40. Between IWR out, the sloppy track, and the way things were going that day with other races, I didnt feel as confident in my bets anymore so I pulled out of the majority of them. I have talked with quite a few people that I know and at the OTB and many had done the same.

Stevie Belmont
05-07-2009, 12:06 PM
I tried to get as many non-racing people I know to watch that race, and I actually made a fan out couple of them. They want to see the Preakness, so it's a start...