PDA

View Full Version : Handing out the roses...

joanied
05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50598/derby-winning-connections-give-roses-to-fans

I thought this was simply a wonderful thing to do...i think I like this Woolley fella:) ...I do hope he kept a few for himself.

domino1891
05-04-2009, 02:40 PM
here (http://www.derbymuseum.org/news/?p=52)

joanied
05-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks...great photos of a greatt 'good deed' :ThmbUp:

Jinxed
05-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Strangely, my daughter only watched the Derby, and nothing leading up to it. She called me afterward to say "that trainer is sure a grump". She didn't see everything leading up to it, and I felt they kind of mocked him a times about driving cross country with a broken leg or a horse who didn't stand a chance..just a feeling I got. I felt like when he first got interviewed after the derby he was a little terse, and he said "maybe people will stop talking about my driving here now"...I found it warranted. Later, I found him being exceptionally nice and the further interviews went great. I admired the man for walking over on crutches, because I know for a fact they aren't comfortable at all. When someone haden't seen anything but the running of the Derby, they might have come away with the feeling he was being a bit of a jerk, but I think he was just sick and tired of the big deal about him driving all those miles. On the walk over he made a remark to the reporter talking to him that "his horse earned it's way to the Derby", but I felt they were snipping at him in a sense. I guess he showed them, huh? I explained to my daughter what had transpired and she understood.

I guess the point of this is you can't tell a book by it's cover. He seems like an awesome man. I wish them a lot of luck. Now if this turns out to be a Triple Crown winner, I will be eating my words...that would be something wouldn't it? I don't see it happening, but this is horse racing.

lilmegahertz
05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
What a really cool thing to do.:ThmbUp: Let the public have a momento of your bestest day. We need more stories like this one.

matthewsiv
05-04-2009, 05:15 PM
A very nice gesture.
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

JPinMaryland
05-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Just to add a pt. about Wooley. If you saw the interview before the race, that same guy asked him just about the same thing pre race as after the race. He mentioned the broken foot and the drive and your horse has almost no chance.

Not exactly the same words but it was almost the same questions he asked him pre race! No wonder he got a little fed up with it. THat reporter had nothing.

Nice touch with the roses. :ThmbUp: