PDA

View Full Version : Comments that may have pointed to Derby winner.

levinmpa
05-04-2009, 08:46 AM
I listen to a lot of thoroughbred racing radio shows, and listen to all the comments of the "experts" on the racing TV channels, but I only heard one comment the past couple of weeks that might have helped someone get on Mind That Bird. Saturday morning at 8:00AM Pacific time on KLAC 570 in Los Angeles, Inside Racing with Jason Levin aired. Regular guest clocker/owner Bruno DeJulio appeared in the first 20 minutes of the show. I didn't catch this show live, but I wish I had because I keyed Musket Man and Pioneerof the Nile in my exotics. Had I been listening, I may have thrown the winner into my Tris. Here is part of their conversation.

Bruno DeJulio: "the track yesterday (Friday). It was upgraded all day long, but one thing was incredibly evident. The inside was completely totally the place to be. I believe 5 horses on the card yesterday, and I'm excluding Rachel Alexandra, cause she would have won if she was in the parking lot, came up the rail, and I'm talking about a "skimmed" rail. Joe and I, Joe Talamo and I were talking about it last night, and we talked about it and I asked him, I said what's the rail like? He's said its real packed down, real hard. Because the way the equipment they have here, if you've been here, and you look at the equipment they have to harrow the track, you chuckle. But, it doesn't reach the inside. So the inside stays packed down. Because everytime in the morning here, what they'll do after training hours, they'll seal the racetrack. Remember the old Steve Wood with the cement truck running over the track packing it down making it hard hard hard. And then they come over with these little harrows and go over it, and I don't think those harrows reach the inside maybe 4 feet off that rail, is incredible.

Jason Levin: And don't think Calvin Borel doesn't know it, because I saw him do it yesterday on a price horse, and that's what he's known for. He's the guy back there, so I think everyone needs to keep an eye on that today as the races unfold. Like you said, with the weather, they're going to be doing the same thing. Kind of similar to yesterday trying to get the track to where they want it for the Derby, and they're going to be working on it all day.

Bruno DeJulio: Well, um, the rain has just about ended, the sun is coming out right now in Louisville. The track will be fast. If there's not any more rain you'll have a fast track. And I can tell you one thing. The winner of the derby will come up the inside.

If you want to hear the entire segment, go to racingjason.com and you'll see a link to the May 2 archive of the show.

fmolf
05-04-2009, 09:00 AM
I listen to a lot of thoroughbred racing radio shows, and listen to all the comments of the "experts" on the racing TV channels, but I only heard one comment the past couple of weeks that might have helped someone get on Mind That Bird. Saturday morning at 8:00AM Pacific time on KLAC 570 in Los Angeles, Inside Racing with Jason Levin aired. Regular guest clocker/owner Bruno DeJulio appeared in the first 20 minutes of the show. I didn't catch this show live, but I wish I had because I keyed Musket Man and Pioneerof the Nile in my exotics. Had I been listening, I may have thrown the winner into my Tris. Here is part of their conversation.

Bruno DeJulio: "the track yesterday (Friday). It was upgraded all day long, but one thing was incredibly evident. The inside was completely totally the place to be. I believe 5 horses on the card yesterday, and I'm excluding Rachel Alexandra, cause she would have won if she was in the parking lot, came up the rail, and I'm talking about a "skimmed" rail. Joe and I, Joe Talamo and I were talking about it last night, and we talked about it and I asked him, I said what's the rail like? He's said its real packed down, real hard. Because the way the equipment they have here, if you've been here, and you look at the equipment they have to harrow the track, you chuckle. But, it doesn't reach the inside. So the inside stays packed down. Because everytime in the morning here, what they'll do after training hours, they'll seal the racetrack. Remember the old Steve Wood with the cement truck running over the track packing it down making it hard hard hard. And then they come over with these little harrows and go over it, and I don't think those harrows reach the inside maybe 4 feet off that rail, is incredible.

Jason Levin: And don't think Calvin Borel doesn't know it, because I saw him do it yesterday on a price horse, and that's what he's known for. He's the guy back there, so I think everyone needs to keep an eye on that today as the races unfold. Like you said, with the weather, they're going to be doing the same thing. Kind of similar to yesterday trying to get the track to where they want it for the Derby, and they're going to be working on it all day.

Bruno DeJulio: Well, um, the rain has just about ended, the sun is coming out right now in Louisville. The track will be fast. If there's not any more rain you'll have a fast track. And I can tell you one thing. The winner of the derby will come up the inside.

If you want to hear the entire segment, go to racingjason.com and you'll see a link to the May 2 archive of the show.would love to know who those guys bet on!!!!!!!

andymays
05-04-2009, 09:06 AM

If you want to hear the entire segment, go to racingjason.com and you'll see a link to the May 2 archive of the show.

Bruno is a sharp guy and his insights have led me to many a longshot. I've purchased his workouts through Todays Racing Digest for years because he seems to notice little things that the other Clockers don't always see. Although he's not a full time Clocker the $4 I pay for the days workouts are well worth it because they lead me to a good score every couple of weeks!

Bruno didn't pick Mind That Bird as one of his selections but from what you said in your comments above this is one of those "Bruno Clues" to something totally unforseen!
His website is www.racingwithbruno.com