PDA

View Full Version : An Alternate Take on Da Derby

JustRalph
05-03-2009, 11:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown09/columns/story?columnist=cronley_jay&id=4128611

From the guy who brought us "Let it Ride"
http://a.espncdn.com/i/columnists/Cronley_Jay_35.jpg

Saturday, May 2, 2009
What's not to like?

After the 135th Derby, here's a question to go unanswered: What's not to like about horse racing just now?
Jockey Calvin Borel and the bluebloods, with Borel almost using the rail like an Olympic balance beam; the favorite nowhere in sight; a horse from New Mexico and the bluebloods; no mishaps; about the lowest best Beyer number in the race won; it was like a public service announcement for horse racing.
The greatest thing about this Derby is about the same thing as most Derbies: Nobody knows anything about picking some winners.
TV people know nothing.
Newspaper people know nothing.
Tip sheet and power rating people know nothing.
Experts who invent systems that are taken as the foundation of horse-race handicapping know nothing.
You and I know a little something, as our picks to win ran second, and the pick for fourth ran fifth.
Experts said the California horses were laughable; experts said a seven-week layoff was no big deal for the favorite.
It's wonderful that nobody knows anything much about hitting a big Derby ticket except people to whom good things have happened around the number 8. It sets the sport off from the routine. Who wins the BCS college football title? Who cares, really, because it's not a national championship. The elite teams always get there and one elite team always wins. Who wins the Super Bowl? First off, there are only two competitors, not 19. The favorite wins. Who wins a golf major? One of two, Tiger or the field. Who wins the NBA? One of the two top seeds.

Who runs 1-2 in the Kentucky Derby?

More at the link

W2G
05-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Cronley is right. This kind of thing only happens in horse racing. We all hope that unknown 15 seed wins the NCAA basketball tournament -- but it will never happen. The little guy always finishes up the track in other major spectator sports.

Instead of launching a witch hunt on MTB's connections and completely unfounded speculation about "performance enhancement", we who are most passionate about this sport should bask in the glow of this Derby result -- even though our collective pockets are lighter.

Jinxed
05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown09/columns/story?columnist=cronley_jay&id=4128611

From the guy who brought us "Let it Ride"
http://a.espncdn.com/i/columnists/Cronley_Jay_35.jpg

Saturday, May 2, 2009
What's not to like?

After the 135th Derby, here's a question to go unanswered: What's not to like about horse racing just now?
Jockey Calvin Borel and the bluebloods, with Borel almost using the rail like an Olympic balance beam; the favorite nowhere in sight; a horse from New Mexico and the bluebloods; no mishaps; about the lowest best Beyer number in the race won; it was like a public service announcement for horse racing.
The greatest thing about this Derby is about the same thing as most Derbies: Nobody knows anything about picking some winners.
TV people know nothing.
Newspaper people know nothing.
Tip sheet and power rating people know nothing.
Experts who invent systems that are taken as the foundation of horse-race handicapping know nothing.
You and I know a little something, as our picks to win ran second, and the pick for fourth ran fifth.
Experts said the California horses were laughable; experts said a seven-week layoff was no big deal for the favorite.
It's wonderful that nobody knows anything much about hitting a big Derby ticket except people to whom good things have happened around the number 8. It sets the sport off from the routine. Who wins the BCS college football title? Who cares, really, because it's not a national championship. The elite teams always get there and one elite team always wins. Who wins the Super Bowl? First off, there are only two competitors, not 19. The favorite wins. Who wins a golf major? One of two, Tiger or the field. Who wins the NBA? One of the two top seeds.

Who runs 1-2 in the Kentucky Derby?

More at the link

Excellent post.

joanied
05-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Nice find, justralph....thanks for the link...good article.

JustRalph
05-04-2009, 02:58 PM
jinxed....... some avatar

DJofSD
05-04-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure I understand the authors last sentence. What does the punk reference mean?

Jinxed
05-04-2009, 03:31 PM
jinxed....... some avatar

Thanks Ralph. I had my pic up, but I love this avatar, so opted for it. I love it too. Thanks.