PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Derby winnert scandal

kenwoodallpromos
05-03-2009, 08:41 PM
See front page of PA website- read Bloodhorse story, then note what Bloodhorse left out: "In the Stevens trial last year, the elder Allen testified Mark had paid off an unnamed legislator.

Stevens was convicted last year on charges he failed to disclose gifts and renovations at his Alaska home from Bill Allen, but a federal judge voided the conviction in April, citing prosecutorial misconduct for withholding evidence from both the defense and the judge."
Anchorage Daily news sent AP original full story, then edited version. Of course they waited until the Derby was over to send it. Bloodhorse ran the story with the above info edited out, then added more fuel with additional negative info.
Who needs PETA when racing and the racing media is killing off the sport themselves? Let me know when any of the media, in or out of racing, mentions Mine That Bird's TC winning pedigree. Thanks.

newtothegame
05-03-2009, 09:34 PM
See front page of PA website- read Bloodhorse story, then note what Bloodhorse left out: "In the Stevens trial last year, the elder Allen testified Mark had paid off an unnamed legislator.

Stevens was convicted last year on charges he failed to disclose gifts and renovations at his Alaska home from Bill Allen, but a federal judge voided the conviction in April, citing prosecutorial misconduct for withholding evidence from both the defense and the judge."
Anchorage Daily news sent AP original full story, then edited version. Of course they waited until the Derby was over to send it. Bloodhorse ran the story with the above info edited out, then added more fuel with additional negative info.
Who needs PETA when racing and the racing media is killing off the sport themselves? Let me know when any of the media, in or out of racing, mentions Mine That Bird's TC winning pedigree. Thanks.

Not to be picky here but wouldnt your post better be suited or titled as "OWNER of derby winner tied to scandal" ?
In my opinion, Its almost as if somehow your attempting to tie the winner of the derby with a scandal. There is NO scandal with MTB. There is another poster on this forum who has already stated MTB came back clean from his sources in the barn area.
Just not sure where you were going with this story. Is the owner tied into some dirty crapola? Based on the article, I would say yes...but how is that a winner of the derby scandal???

tucker6
05-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Not to be picky here but wouldnt your post better be suited or titled as "OWNER of derby winner tied to scandal" ?
In my opinion, Its almost as if somehow your attempting to tie the winner of the derby with a scandal. There is NO scandal with MTB. There is another poster on this forum who has already stated MTB came back clean from his sources in the barn area.
Just not sure where you were going with this story. Is the owner tied into some dirty crapola? Based on the article, I would say yes...but how is that a winner of the derby scandal???
Agree. Poor thread title.

toussaud
05-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I really do not care. I wonder if coolmore ever won the derby would anyone bring up tabor's race fixing sandal from years past. I doubt it.

kenwoodallpromos
05-03-2009, 10:12 PM
"Mine That Bird co-owner Mark Allen, in 2003, allegedly paid at least one bribe to an Alaska state representative in hopes of obtaining help with pending legislation for the family’s Veco Corp". Mine That Bird was said to be bought with monmey from the sale of the company, which benefited from alleged bribes.
My point is about the need for PR.

Relwob Owner
05-03-2009, 10:19 PM
"Mine That Bird co-owner Mark Allen, in 2003, allegedly paid at least one bribe to an Alaska state representative in hopes of obtaining help with pending legislation for the family’s Veco Corp". Mine That Bird was said to be bought with monmey from the sale of the company, which benefited from alleged bribes.
My point is about the need for PR.

I gotta admit-I am confused at your point here....not giving you a hard time, just trying to clarify it...should it have not been reported? Was it over reported? Not reported enough?

dutchboy
05-03-2009, 11:12 PM
There is something going on with the Fed's attorneys being accused of misconduct. I think they may have dismissed the charges against Sen Stevens. There was something in the news a few weeks ago but have not seen anything lately. Assume a Google search would pull it up.

Alaska seems to be a mess from the little I read.

Relwob Owner
05-03-2009, 11:17 PM
There is something going on with the Fed's attorneys being accused of misconduct. I think they may have dismissed the charges against Sen Stevens. There was something in the news a few weeks ago but have not seen anything lately. Assume a Google search would pull it up.

Alaska seems to be a mess from the little I read.

they did...apparently the prosecutors are the ones in hot water now....still trying to see what point the thread starter was trying to make cause I got a bit confused

mostpost
05-03-2009, 11:23 PM
I would just like to point out that it was Eric Holder, the Democratic Attorney General, who brought the misconduct to the attention of the court. The Judge agreed and voided the conviction.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2009, 03:57 AM
This thread is in serious danger of being transported into off-topic.

bushwick
05-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Winning the derby is like becoming president for a day. Someone somewhere knows something bad about us all and it is going to comeout if we win the derby or get famous any other way. Look at plumber Bill.