PDA

View Full Version : EDWARD ALLARD

pandy
05-03-2009, 01:25 PM
I've noticed that trainer Edward Allard continues to be ice cold, now has 2 wins in 98 starts this year and can't seem to win even when he drops them. He used to do quite well.

parlay
05-03-2009, 01:29 PM
He was a favourite of mine. Unbeatable on the stretch out.
Being cynical i assumed he had recieved a stern warning.
He has been a auto pitch

fmolf
05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
He was a favourite of mine. Unbeatable on the stretch out.
Being cynical i assumed he had recieved a stern warning.
He has been a auto pitch
I"m betting his horse in the derby futures next year... :jump:

slew101
05-03-2009, 02:28 PM
John Kimmel is ice cold as usual in the winter/spring. I think he's 5 for 77. His stable used to be much bigger.

Saratoga_Mike
05-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I think maintaining or improving your stats year-after-year as a t'bred trainer is the hardest thing in the world. You can never rest on your laurels. There's no other profession like it.

slew101
05-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Which makes what Allen Jerkens has done so incredible. I'm sure there are others, but how can one guy be so good, so consistent, for so long.

BombsAway Bob
05-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Ned Allard trained MOM's COMMAND to the Filly Triple Crown in '85..
Without good owners to get decent stock, trainers are S.O.L.

reckless
05-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Two reasons for the horrible time Ned Allard is currently going through.

While considered a 'good' and thorough horseman, Allard primarily trains for breeder, whom some been his clients for 20-25 years. Some years the stock sent Allard is good, and then there are down times.

One year not too long ago he had about 10 horses claimed from him within a two months at 3-4 different racetracks. He said then that because he trains homebreds, when an owner loses a horse via claim they don't re-invest the proceeds by replacing the horse with their own claims.

Another reason he isn't winning much is the severe competiton from top outfits from Maryland and New York going after the rich Phila Park purse structure due to slots revenue.

Simply put, Allard's homebred stock cannot compete for the most part.

pandy
05-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Which makes what Allen Jerkens has done so incredible. I'm sure there are others, but how can one guy be so good, so consistent, for so long.

As a turf writer, I rarely praise trainers in print because I don't know for certain if the trainer is using drugs. But when it comes to Allen Jerkens, I can write whatever I want because this great trainer has never had a horse test positive. And as you say, he's been winning consistently forever.