PDA

View Full Version : The Question

BELMONT 6-6-09
05-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Does the very unlikely Derby result bring in new fans to the game who viewed the race and the racing coverage on NBC?

newtothegame
05-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Does the very unlikely Derby result bring in new fans to the game who viewed the race and the racing coverage on NBC?

I watched the race.... I have even gone to the fairgrounds quiate a bit. And I can tell you that for me....I loved this story. To be honest, although Rachel Alexandra is an AWESOME horse, I get tired of seeing horse demolished by her. I root for the under dogs alot. Would I love to see a triple crown again? YES. But ive got to tell you that if every 2-1 won, what would be the point?
The reason this game still exist on some level is for the chance at stardom. The chance of hitting the big one.
I read alot on this forum and I consistently hear about "value". Where would the value be if the Rachel Alexandra's won all the time?
I say its good for the sport.
I just wonder of GQ had won, would we be seeing this same negativity from alot of the posters?
After all, GQ's trainer has ONE horse if i am not mistaken. Not a super trainer like mullins or asmussen, etc etc.

BELMONT 6-6-09
05-03-2009, 10:28 AM
A race result like the derby for me reaches a conclusion that virtually anything in life (and sports) is possible...I still remember the 69' miracle Mets, what was their odds and chances of winning the world series at the beginning of the season. Calvin Borels raw emotion was tremendous as he looked like a young boy on christmas day.

andymays
05-03-2009, 10:31 AM
A Cinderella story is good.

In this case though I think it will probably drive a few regular Horseplayers away from the game as a "final straw" thing.

Very frustrating if you put a lot of time into handicapping the race.

newtothegame
05-03-2009, 10:46 AM
A Cinderella story is good.

In this case though I think it will probably drive a few regular Horseplayers away from the game as a "final straw" thing.

Very frustrating if you put a lot of time into handicapping the race.

But andy...as someone new to the game as I am, isnt that the point of handicapping? Isnt capping trying to find the winner? Who's handicapping is right? who's is wrong? As I had posted yesterday, you could look at the derby's official website and there were ten other handicappers on the right all with DIFFERENT selections. That is the essence of the game I think. If everyone handicapped the same way and always had the winner, it would make for alot of 1-9 horses and what fun would that be?
There will be some who are frustrated and I can seriously understand that. But, I have to say in my opinion...this is the "dream" of every small owner...every small track...every small trainer. I wouldnt even be interested in this game honestly if it were all D Lukas...Mullins...Asmussen... and the other super trainers. The sport would not reach the average player like myself if that were the case in my opinion.

rastajenk
05-03-2009, 08:39 PM
I think the answer to the original question is very definitely.....no, if new fans are measured by wagered dollars. Maybe a few new eyeballs on NBC, but not at the track/simulcasting facilities.

pandy
05-03-2009, 08:59 PM

If I were in charge of racing, I'd get the word out about the exotic payoffs of the Derby. The super paid over $500k. There are millions of lottery and slot players in this country that should know that they have a much better chance of picking the first 4 finishers of a race than winning a slot jackpot or lottery. Racing has done a terrible job of educating bettors.

newtothegame
05-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I think the answer to the original question is very definitely.....no, if new fans are measured by wagered dollars. Maybe a few new eyeballs on NBC, but not at the track/simulcasting facilities.

the wagering dollars you refer to are PRE derby...lets see how the handle goes for the remainder of this year into next. I can tell you that I am from a small town in Louisiana....east and south of New Orleans. Today (actually this weekend) we all had a tomato festival. I can assure you it is NOT normal to hear several people talking about yesterdays derby. I even got drug into a few of the conversations and I can only speak for the circle I was in but , everyone was amazed at the exotics....
Could horse racing do more to get out publicity, sure....but trust me, its out there at least in my neck of the woods ;)

Relwob Owner
05-03-2009, 09:23 PM

Question-when do we get to the point that we just admit that Horse Racing is a lot like tennis...it used to be more popular but with so much stuff taking people's attention in so many ways, it just is sort of a niche sport now. Maybe when we do that, we can focus more on taking care of the people who DO know about horse racing and are involved in it NOW. This would lead to greater focus on the bettor and also a greater focus on the sport's current problems....when this is done, I think the sport may become more popular as a result because those in it wioll get even more into it and with a better product, the people who do come will stay....

rastajenk
05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
the wagering dollars you refer to are PRE derby...lets see how the handle goes for the remainder of this year into next.Newt, ( :) ) I'm not referring to any particular numbers, and I'm not really disagreeing with you entirely. All I'm saying is that we've been down this road before with Alex's Lemonade, and Smarty Jones, and Funny Cide, and Seabiscuit; and nothing has really stuck yet. Of course there's a compelling unlikely storyline now this year, and it'd be great if it plays out a little farther, but in the end it won't matter much if it does or if it doesn't; at least not in most measurements of "fan interest."