PDA

View Full Version : Sunland Park

dav4463
05-03-2009, 05:09 AM
FMOLF......I wish we would have used our angle in the derby! :) Remember we were talking about overlooked shippers from minor tracks? !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav4463
Good point. A Sunland Park to Lone Star Park horse paid my bills one month!

ditto for me sunland to turf paradise though... had everything win bet exacta and tri.

schweitz
05-03-2009, 12:55 PM
They race for more money at Sunland than Lone Star or Turf Paradise.

$250,000 a day at Sunland
$190,000 a day at Lone Star
$125,000 a day at Turf Paradise

I always give an extra look at Sunland shippers---unless its the Derby. :D

reckless
05-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Advice won the Lexington Stakes at 15-1 after getting beat five lengths in the same Sunland Derby as Mine That Bird, who was beaten just over three lengths.

Needless to say, the Sunland Derby is the key race of year, eh?

fmolf
05-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Advice won the Lexington Stakes at 15-1 after getting beat five lengths in the same Sunland Derby as Mine That Bird, who was beaten just over three lengths.

yes i guess it is :bang: ...dave i was kicking myself when i just read your post....sunland to churchill... their was a story in the drf about sunland park officials bemoaning the fact that they do not have graded stakes status in their sunland derby...this may help in that regard...still :bang:..dave is it lone star or sam houston with the low takeout pick three?about 15% i think right ...gotta look it up if you do not know?

Storm Cadet
05-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Who the Hell won that Sunland Derby because he must be the Breeders Cup Champ this fall! :eek:

cj
05-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Kelly Leak.

Unfortunately, he was intentionally walked for the Derby.

fmolf
05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Kelly Leak.

Unfortunately, he was intentionally walked for the Derby.
maybe kelly leak runs in the preakness or belmont.... also dave every horse in the race was a shipper....not from lower level track though...maybe sunland derby gets graded status next year!

dav4463
05-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Sunland may run for more money than Lone Star or Turf Paradise, but the "assumption" is that it is a minor track based on the past. I always thought of it (before I learned better) as a quarter horse track like Ruidoso.

For example, when I would look at the shippers from California, Louisiana, Oaklawn, or Arlington Park....my mind would automatically make them stronger contenders (to me)....than a horse from Sunland Park or Blue Ribbon Downs.

I changed when I saw a couple of nice winners come from Sunland. Then I caught one for a nice price and from then on; I looked at Sunland Park shippers the same as I would a horse from Santa Anita. I quit downgrading horses just because they came from Sunland. I still couldn't make myself play a Blue Ribbon Downs horse though!

It is Sam Houston that has the low takeout on pick 3's by the way.

schweitz
05-04-2009, 10:52 AM
[QUOTEI still couldn't make myself play a Blue Ribbon Downs horse though! [/QUOTE]

Me either, or Manor for that matter. :)

bcgreg
05-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Sunland may run for more money than Lone Star or Turf Paradise, but the "assumption" is that it is a minor track based on the past. I always thought of it (before I learned better) as a quarter horse track like Ruidoso.

Slot money changed the face of racing at Sunland the last few years...they have some nice purses now. The Sunland Derby was, I think, an $800K purse!

Regards,
bcgreg

Rapid Grey
05-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Gotta wonder why the Arkansas Derby is only a Grade II as well. How many placings in the Derby have they had over the last five or six years?

JustRalph
05-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Gotta wonder why the Arkansas Derby is only a Grade II as well. How many placings in the Derby have they had over the last five or six years?

There is a formula for how the horses do coming out of these races.......if I remember right. The only way the races get moved up is if the horses coming out of them go on to bigger and better things....... basically.

I can't remember off the top of my head.......but some decent horses have been running in Arkansas.......... not sure why they haven't moved that race up to grade I status...?

I am sure politics plays a part at that level too............

point given
05-04-2009, 04:41 PM
FMOLF......I wish we would have used our angle in the derby! :) Remember we were talking about overlooked shippers from minor tracks? !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav4463
Good point. A Sunland Park to Lone Star Park horse paid my bills one month!

ditto for me sunland to turf paradise though... had everything win bet exacta and tri.

You could apply this angle due to the fact that the trainer stopped by Lonestar to give MTB a gallop over the track to stretch his legs during the long trip to CD.