PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Blogger Writes: Why Horse Slaughter Is Necessary

Indulto
05-03-2009, 04:49 AM
http://therail.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/why-horse-slaughter-is-necessary/ (http://therail.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/why-horse-slaughter-is-necessary/)
Why Horse Slaughter Is Necessary
By Jane Smiley May 1, 2009… We don’t like to think of a horse, who has been trained to perform or treated as a pet or won a lot of money being slaughtered in terrifying conditions in order that some Germans or some French people might eat horse meat. Would it be different if it were starving children in some third-world country eating the meat? I don’t know.

… Well-meaning commentators such as Mr. Rhoden can wish away horse slaughter (or even horse racing), but I think it would be far better to regulate horse transportation and institute methods of humane slaughter such as those proposed by Temple Grandin for cattle. We must recognize that there is a market for horse meat (not only for human consumption, but also for zoo and circus-animal consumption) and that in a starving world, a source of protein should not go to waste for sentimental reasons. It is sentimentality that has resulted in profounder cruelty to our horses — because we don’t accept that they are animals and have a utilitarian purpose, we hide from what happens to them, and so what happens to them happens in secret.

tucker6
05-03-2009, 08:19 AM
We produce livestock for food, so why do we need to kill other animals?? Do we need to kill horses for food just because they no longer make us money?? Another person rationalizing the making of money in the time honored tradition of other scumbags. If someone can afford to take care of a horse in the hopes that the horse will make it money, then that person has an obligation to ensure that the animal is cared for the rest of its life. That's the honorable thing to do, but which is lacking in this argument. Next up is the rationalization of taking greyhounds to slaughter pens because the world need protein you know.

Indulto
05-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I hope all viewers of my post bother to read the entire article. I posted the link and quote because I thought the author, a true lover of horses, had some worthwhile points to consider.

It would behoove (pun intended) those who disagree to do so with the same dignity and detachment dispensed by Ms. Smiley.;)

jognlope
05-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm not going to read any article that says slaughter is necessary, when there are more humane alternatives, ya know, like a shot and rendering plant and retirement homes.

Indulto
05-03-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm not going to read any article that says slaughter is necessary, when there are more humane alternatives, ya know, like a shot and rendering plant and retirement homes.Then why bother reading and commenting in this thread? :confused:

It's posters like yourself that -- instead of putting their heads in the sand -- should read the article and take the author on point by point where you disagree. BTW Smiley also talks about rendering plants.

Bubba X
05-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Then why bother reading and commenting in this thread? :confused:

It's posters like yourself that -- instead of putting their heads in the sand -- should read the article and take the author on point by point where you disagree. BTW Smiley also talks about rendering plants.
Ok, I read it. I learned one thing.

Then again, I love a good italian sausage sandwich. Yet, I do not feel compelled to take a tour of the place they make the stuff and tell them how I think they should do it.

Am I wrong?

Indulto
05-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Ok, I read it. I learned one thing.

Then again, I love a good italian sausage sandwich. Yet, I do not feel compelled to take a tour of the place they make the stuff and tell them how I think they should do it.

Am I wrong?BX,
What did you learn?

Was the point of your sausage statement that, whether or not there should be any horse slaughter, you don't care to consider the details and detrimental aspects involved in either case?

tucker6
05-03-2009, 04:22 PM
BX,
What did you learn?

Was the point of your sausage statement that, whether or not there should be any horse slaughter, you don't care to consider the details and detrimental aspects involved in either case?
Why are you so interested in whether we participate in this morbid slaughter thread?? Why don't YOU go out there and make the points against horse slaughter instead of using all this energy getting us to do it?? Or are you in favor of horse slaughter??

kenwoodallpromos
05-03-2009, 05:06 PM
First the sellers to auctions, auctions, kill buyers, plants, USDA need to ensure that the current laws arre complied with- they are not.
Starving- which starving people in Quebec are the ones paying $9.00+ for a lb. of gelding meat?

tucker6
05-03-2009, 05:16 PM
First the sellers to auctions, auctions, kill buyers, plants, USDA need to ensure that the current laws arre complied with- they are not.
Starving- which starving people in Quebec are the ones paying $9.00+ for a lb. of gelding meat?
The ones washing it down with a good Malbec.

Indulto
05-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Why are you so interested in whether we participate in this morbid slaughter thread?? Why don't YOU go out there and make the points against horse slaughter instead of using all this energy getting us to do it?? Or are you in favor of horse slaughter??T6,
I'm not sure that either position by itself is a desirable one.

I find sentimentality against slaughter on the part of horseplayers somewhat hypocritical because we support racing knowing it eventually renders most horses unsound; even many of those responsibly bred to avoid passing on unsoundness. How many of us, and I include myself, are more than vaguely interested in the welfare of all horses who just entertained us once the race is over?

Given the limited facilities and financial support to retire even healthy animals, how should it be determined which ones receive such preferred treatment, who should pay for it, and what should happen to the remainder?

kenwoodallpromos
05-03-2009, 08:51 PM
T6,

I find sentimentality against slaughter on the part of horseplayers somewhat hypocritical because we support racing knowing it eventually renders most horses unsound; even many of those responsibly bred to avoid passing on unsoundness. How many of us, and I include myself, are more than vaguely interested in the welfare of all horses who just entertained us once the race is over?

Given the limited facilities and financial support to retire even healthy animals, how should it be determined which ones receive such preferred treatment, who should pay for it, and what should happen to the remainder?
Jockey Club says in 2008 there were 55,000 different TBreds starting races (probably about 25,000+ males), about 58,000 breeding mares, and 5,800+ breeding sires. It is safe to safe the retirement and/or slaughter problem is a little worse on the racing male of the breed.

tucker6
05-03-2009, 09:37 PM
T6,

Just as football supports its retired players via pension, so too should horse racing. You seem to think it a grey issue, and I do not. Morality is not grey. We know when it is right, and when it is wrong. If horse slaughter were morally right, then why doesn't the horse owner wanting to rid himself of useless horses advertise that he is willing to send his horses to slaughter?? The answer is that the owner is too shamed to do such a thing, because he knows he is morally wrong. Your question is vacuous. If you cannot support a horse through its entire life cycle, then get out of the game. PERIOD!! It seems to me that you lack fundamental morality, as your questions would not have to be asked if you were a moral person. No need to respond. I am done with you and your thread. You reside at the bottom of the food chain, and I'd like not to visit that region very often.

macguy
05-04-2009, 12:09 AM
I have nothing against slaughtering horses for food.

Makes sense to me.

I would prefer to see them taken to the slaughter houses in proper transport and slaughtered in slaughter houses designed for horse slaughter. I am all for their humane treatment prior to slaughter.

I would rather see horses going to slaughter than starving out in a field because nobody wants them or can afford to care for them properly.

DrunkenHorseplayer
05-04-2009, 01:27 AM
The notion that horse owners are obligated to care for their horses for their entire lives is ridiculous; if that were required of horse owners no one could afford to be in the game and the sport would go extinct.

WinterTriangle
05-04-2009, 01:53 AM
We produce livestock for food, so why do we need to kill other animals.

Where I live, horses are considered *livestock*.

I have this argument all the time. My belief is that horses, like dogs and cats, were bred to be COMPANION ANIIMALS and are classified as such (i.e, companions to humans). Cows are not. Livestock is animals bred and raised to be food.

One guy told me by sending a horse to slaughter, "at least you get something for him."

I told him: A horse who has served you well deserves to be put down kindly and buried. If he's carried you or your kids around he doesn't owe you any money.

Indulto
05-04-2009, 02:21 AM
Just as football supports its retired players via pension, so too should horse racing. You seem to think it a grey issue, and I do not. Morality is not grey. We know when it is right, and when it is wrong. If horse slaughter were morally right, then why doesn't the horse owner wanting to rid himself of useless horses advertise that he is willing to send his horses to slaughter?? The answer is that the owner is too shamed to do such a thing, because he knows he is morally wrong. Your question is vacuous. If you cannot support a horse through its entire life cycle, then get out of the game. PERIOD!! It seems to me that you lack fundamental morality, as your questions would not have to be asked if you were a moral person. No need to respond. I am done with you and your thread. You reside at the bottom of the food chain, and I'd like not to visit that region very often.Such sanctimoniousness is seldom seen here outside off-topic. I doubt that your concern for the quality of life among racehorses who are no longer productive extends to the top of the food chain. It would surprise me if your willingness to preserve all unionized worker pensions matched your support for equine social security.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2009, 02:33 AM
It would surprise me if your willingness to preserve all unionized worker pensions matched your support for equine social security.This line was totally uncalled for, and definitely not appropriate for the horse racing section here.

I think you may have bitten off more than you can chew, and you're not liking the results.

In any event, I altered the title of this thread, because the original was highly disturbing, and really didn't accurately reflect the contents of the thread.

Indulto
05-04-2009, 03:49 AM
This line was totally uncalled for, and definitely not appropriate for the horse racing section here.

I think you may have bitten off more than you can chew, and you're not liking the results.

In any event, I altered the title of this thread, because the original was highly disturbing, and really didn't accurately reflect the contents of the thread.Your response gave me a strong case of deja vu.

I was responding in kind. Your speculation happens to be invalid, but if you're more comfortable trying to discredit me rather than disputing whichever of Smiley's points I suspect you may disagree with, there's not much I can do about it.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Your speculation happens to be invalid, but if you're more comfortable trying to discredit me rather than disputing whichever of Smiley's points I suspect you may disagree with, there's not much I can do about it.I'm not trying to discredit you...I'm asking you to keep off-topic comments out of the horse racing section.