PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the Derby.......

slewis
05-02-2009, 11:20 PM
There have been numerous posts about today's race.
I think the consensus is that maybe this group might not be as strong as people thought.

One suggested something to the effect that Giacomo would have beaten this group.

What a joke.. He would have gotten pissed on....

What I can tell some of you is that I, again, was fortunate enough to walk the track prior to the race. I also spoke to the gate crew and an outrider....

I have never (not that I walk tracks too often, but I have walked a few) never ever felt a racetrack like this.
It was actually "sticky", like walking on a mild adhesive. I had a loafer-type shoe on, and I found that I was worried about my foot coming out of my shoe as I was walking...
I would bet several horses had to lose shoes racing on the dirt through the day.
I spoke to several trainers who agreed with me, although they said they've seen this before.
I felt this wouldn't hurt Musket Man's chances because he's one of these horses that I believe will run well on any type dirt surface... he's proven that winning at four tracks, but I felt there might be some horses that just might hate it.

All in all, I thought we ran our race as did Pioneer of the Nile..... I thought the winner was very good, but he's going to have to prove to me that he just didn't relish that surface......

The next thing I didn't like was the track crew doing the same thing this year as last.. which was floating the track with heavy sandbags and crew members standing on the floats to "pack it down and force the water out".
When I walked it, it wasn't as hard as last years....

Nevertheless, I thought we got a lot of luck with the weather and it was a good day for racing.