PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping the Derby is just dumb......

Zippy Chippy
05-02-2009, 10:29 PM
After what I've seen over the last decade or so.. I think all of us sitting in this forum for weeks before the Derby is just for fun. When is the last time you've handicapped a Derby and had it run just the way you handicapped it? Its a complete crapshoot. Its FUN as hell to talk about, but thats about it. In all the posts we've made, did we ever bring up the winner?? ever?? I was going to post this yesterday.. I honestly figured something crazy would happen..

toussaud
05-02-2009, 10:32 PM
After what I've seen over the last decade or so.. I think all of us sitting in this forum for weeks before the Derby is just for fun. When is the last time you've handicapped a Derby and had it run just the way you handicapped it? Its a complete crapshoot. Its FUN as hell to talk about, but thats about it. In all the posts we've made, did we ever bring up the winner?? ever?? I was going to post this yesterday.. I honestly figured something crazy would happen..

actually I hit the nail on the head in the last 2 derbies, had the exacta for both. wasn't close today

but that's with any race. you handicap say, 10 races, and 2-3 of them aren't going to be anywhere near what you thought they would be. i had freaking stepehnwolfer in the 05 derby for crying out loud.

when you lose, you don't throw it all away and say "what's the point".

I actually ahd a feeling something crazy would happen, that's why I didn't unload beucase too much crap was going on, sloppy track, defections, long layoffs, etc.. something wasn't right. but still i wasnt' close.

Bubba X
05-02-2009, 10:35 PM
actually I hit the nail on the head in the last 2 derbies, had the exacta for both. wasn't close today

but that's with any race. you handicap say, 10 races, and 2-3 of them aren't going to be anywhere near what you thought they would be. i had freaking stepehnwolfer in the 05 derby for crying out loud.

when you lose, you don't throw it all away and say "what's the point".

I actually ahd a feeling something crazy would happen, that's why I didn't unload beucase too much crap was going on, sloppy track, defections, long layoffs, etc.. something wasn't right. but still i wasnt' close.
I am happy you won.

Now,

Go cash your ticket.

Do something nice for someone else; maybe your mother, whatever.

Rackon
05-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't post here much, I mostly lurk...but I've cashed plenty of tickets in the Derby, mostly singles and exactas.

Not this one, and not Giacomo's Derby.

But I did cash a win ticket on War Emblem. I cashed an exacta on Smarty's Derby and the tri on Barbaro's - only because my dad had the show horse, may he rest in peace. Plenty of other times I have torn my tickets up. I don't mind, I enjoy having a flutter on the race.

The Derby is an atypical handicapping race, if only because of the field size, and the resulting traffic problems. The best horse doesn't always win. But sometimes the best horse, or a legit horse, does run to form.

But it's fun as all get out to watch the 3YO preps, and to try and handicap the darned thing. I just never count on cashing a ticket on the Derby and rejoice when I do.

BTW, I cashed my first Derby ticket on Roman Line, the year Decidely won. I was not old enough to bet legally ;) .

WinterTriangle
05-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Zippy, if it wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it.

Wouldn't matter if it was profitable or not. I decided early in life not to get into the "back to the salt mines" trap. I saw too many people make that mistake and they are old before their time and miserable, too. :)

I think this is a BLAST! Ya'll are a BLAST! I have papers strewn all over my computer table, got a little behind on my chores (the ones I needed an excuse to put off), and i have enjoyed every minute learning and exchanging interesting facts, figures, and opinions about everything KY Derby with everybody here!

Can't wait til next year. heh heh

Jinxed
05-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I've been really busy with my life, and this is the first chance I've had to start handicapping again. I purposely stayed away from here, so I wouldn't be influenced by all the toting of the favorites. Playing the longshots is a lot more fun when they win.