PDA

View Full Version : Horesmen please translate this quote on RA

Oaklawn
05-02-2009, 09:42 PM
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Rachel Alexandra came out of her record-breaking Kentucky Oaks victory on Friday in fine fashion and will remain at Churchill Downs while being pointed to the Grade 1 Acorn Stakes on the June 6 Belmont Stakes undercard, trainer Hal Wiggins said Saturday morning.

"She had about a handful of feed left in her tub this morning, and I promise you when we took her out of her stall, she had a lip shank on her and just dragged us around the barn," said Wiggins

Translation?

Saratoga_Mike
05-02-2009, 09:46 PM
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Rachel Alexandra came out of her record-breaking Kentucky Oaks victory on Friday in fine fashion and will remain at Churchill Downs while being pointed to the Grade 1 Acorn Stakes on the June 6 Belmont Stakes undercard, trainer Hal Wiggins said Saturday morning.

"She had about a handful of feed left in her tub this morning, and I promise you when we took her out of her stall, she had a lip shank on her and just dragged us around the barn," said Wiggins

Translation?

Often when horses come out of a race, they back off their feed for a few days, especially fillies and mares. So the fact that she ate up well is a sign that the race didn't take too much out of her. As for the lip shank, it's just a lead shank with the chain placed under the horse's lip (for more control). The fact that he had to use a lip shank on her the day after her Oaks win is another good sign.

matthewsiv
05-02-2009, 09:47 PM
The race did not take too much out of her and she eat her dinner bar a handful.

When being lead around the shedrow,she was full of energy, and not lethargic.

PaceAdvantage
05-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Knowing horses as I do, I'm shocked that any of them would ever leave ANY feed behind, unless there was something wrong with them or the feed.

Then again, I don't know any active racehorses, so take that for what it's worth.

Brogan
05-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Often when horses come out of a race, they back off their feed for a few days, especially fillies and mares. So the fact that she ate up well is a sign that the race didn't take too much out of her. As for the lip shank, it's just a lead shank with the chain placed under the horse's lip (for more control). The fact that he had to use a lip shank on her the day after her Oaks win is another good sign.

This hits it right on the head! :ThmbUp:

Some horses are notoriously picky eaters all the time. Many just don't chow down like they would normally for a day or so after a race.

Mineshaft
05-03-2009, 03:07 PM

Translation?

The lip shank was used to keep her from getting all wound up. Shes full of energy so they didnt want her acting crazy and doing something stupid so they put the lip shank on her to remind her not to act stupid. It sounds like shes full of energy and is having fun which is a good sign she came out of the race fine.