PDA

View Full Version : Explanation for this - correct me if I'm wrong.

menifee
05-02-2009, 08:20 PM
They went too fast up front. Watch the replay. He was dead last by 30 lengths into the first turn. They went 22 and change in the first quarter.

Durkin calls Mr. Hot Stuff dead last and then he says oh wait Mine that Bird way last.

Borel tried this same move last year and got third. With Street Sense he got first.

Prado kills me. He has a closer. The horse stumbles badly and he still rushes him up there. Why Prado? What has happened to you?

toussaud
05-02-2009, 08:23 PM
They went too fast up front. Watch the replay. He was dead last by 30 lengths into the first turn. They went 22 and change in the first quarter.

Durkin calls Mr. Hot Stuff dead last and then he says oh wait Mine that Bird way last.

Borel tried this same move last year and got third. With Street Sense he got first.

Prado kills me. He has a closer. The horse stumbles badly and he still rushes him up there. Why Prado? What has happened to you?

i said it in another thread, prado should be b anned from the derby with that craptastic ride he gave dunirk, and i'm not even saying he would have won regardless, but that was a pathetic ride. you rush a dead set closer up to sit off the pace after he stubmles at the gate. hell that stumble was a blessing in disguse

Prado gave the worst ride, Saez was a clear cut second, and whoever rode hold me back was third.

that pace was not slow but 47 and change is not death defying speed.

ghostyapper
05-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I must say that was an awful race call by durkin, his worst derby call in years. He didn't even call out MTB till he had already taken the lead.

sandpit
05-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Bejarano killed Papa Clem's chances in the first half mile...strangled the crap out of him, taking out any finishing punch he might have had...horse did an excellent job in spite of it...and no, I didn't bet on him.

JPinMaryland
05-02-2009, 09:04 PM
exactly right. That race call near the end, was almost as bad as FOolish Pleasure/Prince Thou Art back in the day. Had no idea who was taking the lead. It sounded as if Durkin had lost his voice when making the first call...it was bad.

Speaking of pace, I thought running a 2:03 and 3 over that slop was pretty dam good. He must have finished a full sec. ahead of the rest. Did they actually roll the track just before the race? I could not tell w/ all the noice I saw a tractor or something, but was it rolled? Donna Brothers called it sloppy fast or some such but it didnt look like.

Pace Cap'n
05-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Did anyone besides me think Friesan Fire was limping noticeably (right rear) in the post pararde?

toussaud
05-02-2009, 09:19 PM
i got the derby winner wrong, but one thing I did get right was FF would be the biggest money burner in the race.

LemonSoupKid
05-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Pioneer of the Nile?

This wasn't the greatest of races, but I think you should cop to it: He's a good horse.

toussaud
05-02-2009, 09:53 PM
i never said he was a BAD horse. i said he wasn't going to win. and he didn't.

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Pioneer of the Nile?

This wasn't the greatest of races, but I think you should cop to it: He's a good horse.

He is....coming into the stretch, I think Gomez saw roses in his future

Show Me the Wire
05-02-2009, 09:55 PM
exactly right. That race call near the end, was almost as bad as FOolish Pleasure/Prince Thou Art back in the day. Had no idea who was taking the lead. It sounded as if Durkin had lost his voice when making the first call...it was bad.

Speaking of pace, I thought running a 2:03 and 3 over that slop was pretty dam good. He must have finished a full sec. ahead of the rest. Did they actually roll the track just before the race? I could not tell w/ all the noice I saw a tractor or something, but was it rolled? Donna Brothers called it sloppy fast or some such but it didnt look like.

Floated not rolled.

LemonSoupKid
05-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Be a man for once, Toussaud.You were wrong about him.

toussaud
05-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Be a man for once, Toussaud.You were wrong about him.
lol, be a man about what? I already took my crow about making a post about mine that bird.

I never said he wasn't good. I said he wasn't going to win the race. I dont' take personal jabs at horses. All I am trying to do is handicap a race and in handicapping I decided he wasn't going to win. and he didnt' win.

with that said, nothing can be told from this race for a number of reasons, the most of which the best 2 hroses in the country weren't in it. the fav has a cut foot and the 3rd choice stumbled at the gate.

Wickel
05-02-2009, 10:05 PM

Prado was again absolutely horrific! I've said it time and time again that he needs a "cadillac" or "corvette" under him. He adds absolutely nothing to a horse--just hangs on for the ride. Menifee is right--with a dead closer like Dunkirk why rush him, especially after blowing the start. Here's hoping J.R. Velasquez gets on him for the remainder of the Crown.

WinterTriangle
05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Prado gave the worst ride, Saez was a clear cut second

Yeah, Saez shoulda pushed FF harder even though the horse was bleeding all over the track. ;)

I disagree about Papa. Had he been allowed to go all out in the beginning, he would not have made it to the last 1/8th.

LemonSoupKid
05-02-2009, 11:05 PM
lol, be a man about what? I already took my crow about making a post about mine that bird.

I never said he wasn't good. I said he wasn't going to win the race. I dont' take personal jabs at horses. All I am trying to do is handicap a race and in handicapping I decided he wasn't going to win. and he didnt' win.

with that said, nothing can be told from this race for a number of reasons, the most of which the best 2 hroses in the country weren't in it. the fav has a cut foot and the 3rd choice stumbled at the gate.

Ok, fair enough, I think this is a solid response.

Now let's go get'em in the Preakness.

Jinxed
05-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Yeah, Saez shoulda pushed FF harder even though the horse was bleeding all over the track. ;)

I disagree about Papa. Had he been allowed to go all out in the beginning, he would not have made it to the last 1/8th.
You are talking about a repeat of last year when Jones lost Eight Belles. If FF had been pushed, he would be dead too, and I don't think Jones could live with that.