PDA

View Full Version : Chew on this about Derby winning trainer Bennie Woolley Jr.

Turfday
05-02-2009, 06:53 PM
1) Has won ONE race this year with a thoroughbred...a maiden on Mar. 6 at Sunland Park...the ONLY race he has won this year with a thoroughbred.

2) Previous training win was back on DEC. 27 at Sunland Park.....with a $5,000 CLAIMER and previous win to that was NOV. 29 at Zia Park !

3) Has NOT won a race with a thoroughbred going TWO TURNS since April 13, 2008 (at Sunland Park). That's more than ONE YEAR since winning a route race.

4) Has won only two route races since Feb., 2007.

toetoe
05-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I heard a rumor that he is taking over the training of Rick's Natural Star. Yeah, baby.

rokitman
05-02-2009, 07:18 PM
1) Has won ONE race this year with a thoroughbred...a maiden on Mar. 6 at Sunland Park...the ONLY race he has won this year with a thoroughbred.

2) Previous training win was back on DEC. 27 at Sunland Park.....with a $5,000 CLAIMER and previous win to that was NOV. 29 at Zia Park !

3) Has NOT won a race with a thoroughbred going TWO TURNS since April 13, 2008 (at Sunland Park). That's more than ONE YEAR since winning a route race.

4) Has won only two route races since Feb., 2007.Damn. I wish I knew before the race that he was that overdue.

judd
05-02-2009, 07:20 PM
and he had a k-mart sport coat on

HuskyDomains
05-02-2009, 07:28 PM
I think the dude wore a kmart sport coat and some wranglers to the Derby

Tom
05-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm getting Zippy Chippy back in training! :lol:

senortout
05-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Think of something nice to say about the guy.....so many sour grapes.....hurts the game

ps what trainer does he remind you of?? quick....

he reminds me of Dickie Small who drove many of his horses to the races, all over the place, in his van....member that?

ie.....Broad Brush, Concern, etc

senortout
05-02-2009, 07:39 PM
He coulda hurt me bad....I had $2 on PON to place, $2 on Musket Man to show, and $3 to show on Papa Clem. Good thing I didn't tie these three up in a Trifecta, or maybe it'da been me moaning and complaining!

senortout

HuskyDomains
05-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Guy looks like he's a member of a motorcycle gang

rokitman
05-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I was expecting that the godds of racing would intervene on Mullins but adding a win by that trainer is really rubbing his nose in it with no mercy.

HuskyDomains
05-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I highly doubt a bunch of blowhards talking about a trainer that wins about 2 $5000 claimers a year hurts the sport of horse racing.

Just saying

sally
05-02-2009, 07:47 PM
He gave credit to some guy in Canada for working with Mind that Bird so I give him a thumbs up for that...:ThmbUp:

Shemp Howard
05-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I thought it was Richard Petty

HuskyDomains
05-02-2009, 07:50 PM
LOL @ the Richard Petty comment

mannyberrios
05-02-2009, 07:51 PM
:1:Think of something nice to say about the guy.....so many sour grapes.....hurts the game

ps what trainer does he remind you of?? quick....

he reminds me of Dickie Small who drove many of his horses to the races, all over the place, in his van....member that?

ie.....Broad Brush, Concern, etc:1:D D. W. Lukas , he just won the derby.

Turfday
05-02-2009, 08:26 PM
nm

Tom
05-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Blowhards? :confused::confused:

stu
05-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Y'all,

Chip should be commended for a job well done.

Many folks don't know that there are very few airplane gates for horses in the Mountain West. It is likely that Chip would have had to haul to the Dallas-Fort Worth area to catch the nearest plane that could load a horse.
For the Sunland/WinStar Derby, they have to drive a gate to El Paso for the event. Driving onto Louisville has to be considered reasonable if you already drove that far.

Chip does own several Harley Davidsons that many of y'all would be jealous of their condition and value. Chip may be coarse to those of East/West coast sensibilities but he is not a member of a motorcycle gang.

Chip did a great job recognizing the impact of his horse, jockey, crew, owners, and the previous trainer. All of which was done on national live television. The man showed respect to all the right people in all of the right ways.

When I was the racing secretary in Albuquerque, Chip would come into the racing office on the first week of the meet and nominate to every stakes race that he intended to run for the whole meet. I never pulled a nomination and never came with a nom after opening day. The man would formulate a plan for his horses and keep it.

I don't know what Chip thought of me as a racing secretary but I enjoyed visiting with Chip when he came to my office whether it was to complain, bullshit or brag.

Chip may not be refined but he is certainly a gentleman cowboy who surprised the hell out of me today.

Congratulation Chip!

WinterTriangle
05-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Y'all,

Many folks don't know that there are very few airplane gates for horses in the Mountain West. It is likely that Chip would have had to haul to the Dallas-Fort Worth area to catch the nearest plane that could load a horse.
For the Sunland/WinStar Derby, they have to drive a gate to El Paso for the event. Driving onto Louisville has to be considered reasonable if you already drove that far.

Chip does own several Harley Davidsons that many of y'all would be jealous of their condition and value. Chip may be coarse to those of East/West coast sensibilities but he is not a member of a motorcycle gang.

Chip did a great job recognizing the impact of his horse, jockey, crew, owners, and the previous trainer. All of which was done on national live television. The man showed respect to all the right people in all of the right ways.

When I was the racing secretary in Albuquerque, Chip would come into the racing office on the first week of the meet and nominate to every stakes race that he intended to run for the whole meet. I never pulled a nomination and never came with a nom after opening day. The man would formulate a plan for his horses and keep it.

I don't know what Chip thought of me as a racing secretary but I enjoyed visiting with Chip when he came to my office whether it was to complain, bullshit or brag.

Chip may not be refined but he is certainly a gentleman cowboy who surprised the hell out of me today.

Congratulation Chip!

Thank you for this.

What's really sad is that you have to *defend* this man from people here who don't know him, have never met him, and yet feel they know enough to say negative things about him.

(Probably the exact same ones who are always complaining about all the stuff that is "ruining our sport". ;) )

Greyfox
05-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Why do I get the feeling that this is Bennie Woolley's 15 minutes in the Sun?

Bennie Woolley just won the top race in North America and acts like "Joe Cool or The Fonz."
The announcer mentions that people don't know him and he replies something to the effect:
"Well they know my name now."
Then the announcer asks him an innocent question about the 21 hour road trip from New Mexico, and he "crutches" away yelling something to the effect that
he won't have to put up with questions about his road trip...
I'm going by memory. I'll review the video tomorrow for what he exactly said.
My own impression was....Jerk.

pandy
05-03-2009, 12:18 AM
He gave credit to some guy in Canada for working with Mind that Bird so I give him a thumbs up for that...:ThmbUp:

David Cotey developed and trained the horse in Canada, I agree, that was a classy thing for him to mention Cotey's name. The people who develop these horses before they get sold or turned over to a big shot trainer often are forgotten but play a big part in the early development of the horse.

Relwob Owner
05-03-2009, 12:20 AM

Bennie Woolley just won the top race in North America and acts like "Joe Cool or The Fonz."
The announcer mentions that people don't know him and he replies something to the effect:
Then the announcer asks him an innocent question about the 21 hour road trip from New Mexico, and he "crutches" away yelling something to the effect that

I am cutting the guys some slack...you roll into town and are probably treated like garbage because most there think you dont belong and shouldnt be taking up a spot in the Derby....you are on crutches which would make for a very long day at CD....you win and are trying to go see your horse and celebrate with him and the jock....you put up with the NBC guy's questions, which repeat questions you have heard over and over for 5 days....that NBC guy is keeping you from getting to the winners circle to celebrate the race of your life....I forgive his shortness...

JustRalph
05-03-2009, 12:29 AM
I thought it was Richard Petty
:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://imagecache.allposters.com/images/pic/RAC/RPRR07~Richard-Petty-Posters.jpg

David-LV
05-03-2009, 12:32 AM

Call him what you want, but anybody that has any knowledge about training a horse and how hard it is just to get a horse to run in the derby let alone win it has to take off their hats to this great accomplishment.

Lightin up. This sport needs a little suprise every now and then. :)

Great Developing this horse-David Coty :) :)

Great training job-Bennie Woolley Jr. :) :)

Great ride-Calvin Borel :) :)

_______
David-LV

Greyfox
05-03-2009, 12:41 AM
This race isn't over. The final diagnosis isn't in.
Slap this chap on the back all you want and then bet his steed in the next race.
That horse will never repeat.
Gary Stevens said he looked like a Triple Crown prospect.
For sure he did.
But, he ain't one.

WinterTriangle
05-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Then the announcer asks him an innocent question about the 21 hour road trip from New Mexico, and he "crutches" away yelling something to the effect that he won't have to put up with questions about his road trip...

Well, before you watch it again, here's a different angle.

They talked of nothing except broken foot and road trip.........MOMENTS after the HORSE won the KY Derby.

Why not talk about the horse? The jockey? This wasn't a People Magazine interview....it was horse racing media.

When he finally got to say what he wanted, his comments were about what a great jockey Calvin Borel was. Wanted to put the emphasis on the HORSE who won, and the JOCKEY who won on the horse.

(Instead of on himself, as Dutrow would have loved.) Last year Big Brown's outspoken trainer got more press than most of the horses in the race did.

(I bet you don't know many cowboys, do ya.;) ) I live in a ranching area. They don't like to go on and on about themselves.)

toussaud
05-03-2009, 12:56 AM
it would be like the euivelant to me say... getting a divorce 2 weeks before the derby, then winning the derby, and the only thing the guy with the mic wants to talk about is "do you feel you stuck it to your ex wife?".. Nothing about the horse, what I thought about the ride, how I feel right now, when di dI know I was going to win.. you know.. questions you probably ask yourself in the shower when you imagine getting interviewed (come on i'm not the only one) first of all.. is that the only possible thing you can ask in my one shining moment in life? Secondly.. STFU if you can't come up with a better uestion, I bet if he were baffert or lukas he could come up with better questions.

I'd be peeved too the more I think about it.

He was actually pretty cool guy on the HRTV interview. I think the NBC guys really just ruffled his feathers with their stupid questions.

and whoose fault was it that they didn't now him? it's not his at all. He probably felt like "yeah now you want to interview me, i could have walked pass you all week long and begged for an interview and you wouldn't have given it to me"

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2009, 03:31 AM
My own impression was....Jerk.I can see where some might get this impression, but I liked his refreshing candor...kind of how I liked Dutrow's refreshing candor last year.

I like guys who speak their mind and don't sugar-coat things or offer well-worn sports cliches. If something pisses this guy off, he's not afraid to let you know. Also, he gave credit to the trainer who worked this horse all last year up at Woodbine, which was refreshing.

I don't think I ever heard the owner/trainer/groom of General Quarters do the same, and he had plenty of chances on NBC today. If I missed it, I do apologize in advance.

Donnie
05-03-2009, 09:01 AM
and whoose fault was it that they didn't now him? it's not his at all. He probably felt like "yeah now you want to interview me, i could have walked pass you all week long and begged for an interview and you wouldn't have given it to me"

I assume they ignored him all week being a "non-contender". Bravo to him and all his connections. They had the horse. They had the team. They got the guttiest rider on the grounds.

The winner of the Ky Derby is always the horse who is best that first Saturday in May. I love the way the horse moved right past his competition. And it was Borel who guided him thru a flawless path. Assuming Borel will keep the mount, LOL, show me a horse in the Derby race who even had a move close to Mine That Bird.... wish we could purchase overhead shots for all horseraces!

Stu-- thanks for your personal insight. I like people with attitude. I immediately liked Woolley as they were trying to interview him on the walk-over! Very genuine.... like Jones only from the other end.

I lost money, but I was smiling when it was over. 2 days in a row I witnessed 2 fantastic horserace events. It doesn't get any better than this down on the track.

Relwob Owner
05-03-2009, 09:16 AM
This race isn't over. The final diagnosis isn't in.
Slap this chap on the back all you want and then bet his steed in the next race.
That horse will never repeat.
Gary Stevens said he looked like a Triple Crown prospect.
For sure he did.
But, he ain't one.

I am not going to debate if he is going to win the Triple Crown---I actually hope he does and surprises everyone and rewards this somewhat unique, cool trainer....

However, Gary Stevens saying anything these days can be ignored---he seems bewildered on the air sometimes....also, he is one of the big players, I believe, in selecting horses for IEAH the past year and it would be accurate to say that his eye for evaluating horses can definitely be held up for debate....

ezrabrooks
05-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Y'all,

Congratulation Chip!

Thanks Stu for putting a perspective on this win. Never ceases to amaze me that people want to slight a person..even though he got the job done. He's not the first Derby winner to be trailered to Louisville, maybe the longest ride, but not the first.

Ez

NY BRED
05-03-2009, 09:39 AM
A: While I touted Papa Clem to all of my disciples, I foolishly discounted
MTB despite his breeding, whose sire won the Belmont in 2004, and
had the Jock who loves the rail.In addition fronts used in the last few
races was a concern in used the horse in the exotics.

B:I thought these jockeys would realize the rail was the place to be,
and figured Papa Clem, sitting the perfect trip into the turn would hug the
rail instead of insanely going six wide into the stretch.

C: Speaking of giving up the rail, watch the sretch run to discover
how Borel made patent move, with no other jockey attempting such a maneuver.

Kudos to the horse,trainer and owners in producing Casey"s Shadow
Part II in real time.

What a great story this would be if this horse wins the Preakness!

fmolf
05-03-2009, 11:23 AM
A: While I touted Papa Clem to all of my disciples, I foolishly discounted
MTB despite his breeding, whose sire won the Belmont in 2004, and
had the Jock who loves the rail.In addition fronts used in the last few
races was a concern in used the horse in the exotics.

B:I thought these jockeys would realize the rail was the place to be,
and figured Papa Clem, sitting the perfect trip into the turn would hug the
rail instead of insanely going six wide into the stretch.

C: Speaking of giving up the rail, watch the sretch run to discover
how Borel made patent move, with no other jockey attempting such a maneuver.

Kudos to the horse,trainer and owners in producing Casey"s Shadow
Part II in real time.

What a great story this would be if this horse wins the Preakness!
i also had papa clem looked like bejarano was scared to dive down to the rail... he could have one i think if he did.. the others would have followed him down their and borels path would have been closed!INMO....now i liked this trainers tell it like it is manner... he probably had all the kentucky blue bloods whispering behind his back ....snickering asking him how he could enter a horse that cannot even match the n2x allowance par....god bless him for acknowledging the important people especially in the post race interview

Tom
05-03-2009, 12:48 PM
How soon do they pay off the Derby purses?
His Preakness plans may hinge on how much gas money he has next week. :lol:

David-LV
05-03-2009, 01:34 PM
You don't come up with $400,000 to buy a horse when you have to worry about gas money.

Just because you are not that good of a handicapper does not mean that other people did not have this horse.

By the way I hit the winner and the exacta.

If you watch all the replays of this horse he was not a complete throwout.

I must admit my wife liked the name so I did the work and watched all of his 2 year old races plus his Sunland races in which I thought that he moved to soon.

You get an off track, a small horse that glides over it with Calvin Borel as his pilot and you get what is known in this game as a chance to make a big score.

He may never win another race which I doubt, but on Saturday May 2, 2009 in Kentucky Derby 135 Mind That Bird and myself plus a lot of other handicappers got the money. :8:

Your remarks sounds like nothing more then sour grapes from a player that lost his rent money on a race.

Good luck in The Preakness & The Belmont and hopefully you will have a better outcome. :)

________
David-LV

Greyfox
05-03-2009, 01:39 PM

________
David-LV

Can we suggest that there's a chance that you keyed on Pioneerof the Nile?
16/board and board/16?;)

David-LV
05-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Can we suggest that there's a chance that you keyed on Pioneerof the Nile?
16/board and board/16?;)

I bet four horses win and place with three times as much on Pioneer of the Nile.

I boxed 8/11/16/19 in the exacta and I keyed 16 with 8/11/19 in exacta boxes for a few extra tickets.

I got lucky to hit the exacta as Pioneer Of The Nile was life and death to hang on for second.

I find watching replays invaluable when trying to uncover a gem every now and then.

_______
David-LV

David-LV
05-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Just to fill you in on Mark Allen one of the owners of Mind That Bird.

I don't think he needs to worry about gas money to get his horses around.

_______
David-LV

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last fall, the "Breeder's Cup Barn Notes" had this item about Allen:

A Utah native born Oct. 23, 1958, in Monticello, near the Colorado border, Allen said he has been involved with horses since his teenage years, coming into Thoroughbred racing and breeding in the early 1980s.

He got out of the business for a few years early in this century while he and his father closed out their oilfield service business in Alaska, but returned to Thoroughbreds as his only business interest two years ago."

Closed out their oilfield service business?

The Anchorage Daily News reported today that when Bill Allen sold his company in 2007, Mark Allen got about $30 million, as did his two siblings.

ponyplayer
05-03-2009, 03:18 PM
He was actually pretty cool guy on the HRTV interview. I think the NBC guys really just ruffled his feathers with their stupid questions.

He did o.k. to keep his cool....most cowboys I know wouldn't want to be answering stupid questions from city-folk-cafe latte-drinking mf'ers...........

:cool:

TurfRuler
05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Y'all,

Congratulation Chip!

A friend of mine a racing novice, doesn't know squat about horse racing. He remembers Secretariat winning the triple crown. Went to an OTB with me once and was completely out of his element picked Mine This Bird to add to his RTTR Stable that I started for him. He gave me his picks late so that I did not add his supplemental entrants. He even put the trainers name on the torn shee of paper that he gave me. I called him the day before the Derby to tell him that his horse was running in the Derby. Of course I did not add him to the mind bets that I made. But what a gleeful person he was after watching this years race. I only could say that there was no way I would have tried to talk him out of wagering on Mine That Bird if we had been at a race track.

Some one said before I ever got on this earth "condemnation comes easy to squalid, windowless minds."

sonnyp
05-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Just to fill you in on Mark Allen one of the owners of Mind That Bird.

I don't think he needs to worry about gas money to get his horses around.

_______
David-LV

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last fall, the "Breeder's Cup Barn Notes" had this item about Allen:

A Utah native born Oct. 23, 1958, in Monticello, near the Colorado border, Allen said he has been involved with horses since his teenage years, coming into Thoroughbred racing and breeding in the early 1980s.

He got out of the business for a few years early in this century while he and his father closed out their oilfield service business in Alaska, but returned to Thoroughbreds as his only business interest two years ago."

Closed out their oilfield service business?

The Anchorage Daily News reported today that when Bill Allen sold his company in 2007, Mark Allen got about $30 million, as did his two siblings.

you left out a few details :

… </FONT>Cloud Over Owner

Mine That Bird is owned by the son of a key figure in the corruption trial of former Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska.

The Anchorage Daily News reported that Mine That Bird was bought by Mark Allen and a partner for $400,000. The newspaper said the money came from the sale of the oil field services business VECO Corp., founded by Allen’s father, Bill Allen. The business is now defunct.

Mark Allen’s Double Eagle Ranch in Roswell, N.M., also keeps So Long Birdie, a horse once partly owned by Stevens.

Bill Allen pleaded guilty in 2007 to bribing Alaska politicians, but in a plea deal, won immunity for Mark Allen and other family members. Bill Allen has not been sentenced.

In the Stevens trial last year, the elder Allen testified that Mark had paid off an unidentified legislator. (AP)

David-LV
05-03-2009, 06:33 PM
you left out a few details :

… </FONT>Cloud Over Owner

Mine That Bird is owned by the son of a key figure in the corruption trial of former Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska.

The Anchorage Daily News reported that Mine That Bird was bought by Mark Allen and a partner for $400,000. The newspaper said the money came from the sale of the oil field services business VECO Corp., founded by Allen’s father, Bill Allen. The business is now defunct.

Mark Allen’s Double Eagle Ranch in Roswell, N.M., also keeps So Long Birdie, a horse once partly owned by Stevens.

Bill Allen pleaded guilty in 2007 to bribing Alaska politicians, but in a plea deal, won immunity for Mark Allen and other family members. Bill Allen has not been sentenced.

In the Stevens trial last year, the elder Allen testified that Mark had paid off an unidentified legislator. (AP)

What's your point?

My point is they have plenty of Do Ra Mi.

_______
David-LV

Relwob Owner
05-03-2009, 06:55 PM
What's your point?

_______
David-LV

Did I read that his Dad testified that his own son had bribed legislators????

If this article is true, I question of that business, which was obviously flawed if it went out of business so quickly.

If the co-owner had to get immunity, it can be assumed he did something that may not have been above board.

Disappointing if true

ponyplayer
05-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Not to cast aspersions, but I would wager that in the long list of owners who have won the derby, there might have been one or two who might have had a skeleton or two in the closet…… :rolleyes:

sonnyp
05-03-2009, 07:54 PM
What's your point?

_______
David-LV

my point is the owner is not some "cowpoke" like the image of his trainer, but rather a guy who, with his family, made a fortune through sweetheart deals, bribery and crooked politics ! of course, this has become the american road to success and quite acceptable more often than not.

there have been many more owners who fit the profile including the "curlin" group, and some of the blueblood families who screwed a lot of people on their way to their riches. you can't make the fortunes they made or buy $400,000 racehorses carrying a lunchbox and working in a factory.

im sure he's NOT desperate for gas money, he screwed everybody to get and sell the oil field. im sure there are a lot who envy a guy like this but i can't muster one ounce of respect nor can i "feel good" about anything he ,and too many other success stories involved, unfortunately, in racing present.

all that glitters is, definately, not gold.

TurfRuler
05-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Behind greath wealth is a great crime. What pirate is in your family closet?

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2009, 03:28 AM
You don't come up with $400,000 to buy a horse when you have to worry about gas money.

Just because you are not that good of a handicapper does not mean that other people did not have this horse.

I must admit my wife liked the name so I did the work and watched all of his 2 year old races plus his Sunland races in which I thought that he moved to soon.

You get an off track, a small horse that glides over it with Calvin Borel as his pilot and you get what is known in this game as a chance to make a big score.

He may never win another race which I doubt, but on Saturday May 2, 2009 in Kentucky Derby 135 Mind That Bird and myself plus a lot of other handicappers got the money. :8:

Your remarks sounds like nothing more then sour grapes from a player that lost his rent money on a race.

Good luck in The Preakness & The Belmont and hopefully you will have a better outcome. :)

________
David-LVWhy is it nobody here can take a joke?

Rapid Grey
05-04-2009, 12:11 PM

________
David-LV

Congrats on a nice score. I've followed Borel for a long time and his rail-riding antics, especially on the old Keeneland dirt track. Mine That Bird isn't the first horse that Calvin has gotten on at Churchill, on a golden rail, and had move up 20+ Beyer points either. Two years ago, on Oaks day, I think he did it with a Mountaineer shipper at 30-1 or so.

In looking at Mine That Bird's pp's though I assumed Calvin would gun for the lead or show a lot more speed than he did, and that that was the plan for how they would ride the race. While I didn't watch his replays prior to the Derby you certainly wouldn't imagine Calvin dropping anchor after the start and going to the rail. Basically considered him a pace presser rather than a deep closer.

After watching his Sunland Park races MTB did show that he's got a nice 1/2 mile or so run to him where he can really move. Both races also showed he is a fairly game racehorse.

I agree again that watching replays is a valuable asset in handicapping often ignored. Maram, who won the BC 2yo filly turf last year, was my last big score on a horse that looked okay on paper, but looked twice as good on film.

point given
05-04-2009, 05:26 PM
David Cotey developed and trained the horse in Canada, I agree, that was a classy thing for him to mention Cotey's name. The people who develop these horses before they get sold or turned over to a big shot trainer often are forgotten but play a big part in the early development of the horse.
Yes classy thing for trainer Wooley to give credit where credit is due. To be accurate, I think he said that Cotey got the horse qualified for the race. By that I take it to mean that the G3 canadian race win gave the horse the needed graded stakes $$ to get into the derby or Wooley wouldn't be there.

What i thought pretty odd though was that Wooley couldn't get someone else to drive, that he had to drive with his left foot for the gas and brake for 2000 miles, heck I'd get cramped up doing it for an hour or two.

David-LV
05-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Congrats on a nice score. I've followed Borel for a long time and his rail-riding antics, especially on the old Keeneland dirt track. Mine That Bird isn't the first horse that Calvin has gotten on at Churchill, on a golden rail, and had move up 20+ Beyer points either. Two years ago, on Oaks day, I think he did it with a Mountaineer shipper at 30-1 or so.

In looking at Mine That Bird's pp's though I assumed Calvin would gun for the lead or show a lot more speed than he did, and that that was the plan for how they would ride the race. While I didn't watch his replays prior to the Derby you certainly wouldn't imagine Calvin dropping anchor after the start and going to the rail. Basically considered him a pace presser rather than a deep closer.

After watching his Sunland Park races MTB did show that he's got a nice 1/2 mile or so run to him where he can really move. Both races also showed he is a fairly game racehorse.

I agree again that watching replays is a valuable asset in handicapping often ignored. Maram, who won the BC 2yo filly turf last year, was my last big score on a horse that looked okay on paper, but looked twice as good on film.
Thank you for your comments. :)

The most amazing thing about this derby was that Calvin was available.

The way he rides at Churchill he should be the number one go to guy on all trainers speed dial.

BTW: My avatar above, that is Calvin working out Street Sense.

_______
David-LV