PDA

View Full Version : Mine That Bird

BlueShoe
05-02-2009, 06:34 PM
TWEET TWEET

Saratoga_Mike
05-02-2009, 06:36 PM
You've gotta love Calvin Borel. What a character and a damn fine rider.

pktruckdriver
05-02-2009, 06:42 PM
You've gotta love Calvin Borel. What a character and a damn fine rider.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

beertapper
05-02-2009, 06:52 PM
yes.. congrats to Calvin :jump:

sally
05-02-2009, 07:51 PM
To win the Oaks and the Derby the same year-- the favorite and a 50-1 shot-- what a guy! Kudos to Calvin!!

toussaud
05-02-2009, 07:55 PM
calvin borel will have a derby mount for the rest of his life.

parakeeter
05-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I'll give you at least 3 to 1 on that.....

LottaKash
I am glad for the humble connections and all, but THAT was the most unlikely and "Bizarre" Derby, that I have ever witnessed...a very "Storybook" finish.

best,

dutchboy
The horse was running in stake races at Woodbine last year. Then is shipped to SA for the G1 Breeders Cup Juvenile where he has a wide trip. So the horse must have been highly thought of by his connections.

The trainer according to BRIS is 25% winner with shippers and has only been the trainer of this horse for the past two races. Richard Mandella was the trainer of record for the Breeders Cup race. I assume based on the Woodbine stake races that trainer was a quality horseman. Borel was a definite jockey switch for the better.

Top secret question might be why they shipped him to Sunland with the first workout on Jan 6th. The 10 published workouts at Sunland are slow and most were 5F. I assume Sunland would be a high altitude location. Would slow works at a high altitude location improve a horses stamina. Guess you could think the horse was in Sunland to hide him.

JustRalph
05-02-2009, 08:23 PM

and be over bet from now on...........:bang: :lol: :lol:

Show Me the Wire
05-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't want to be Dick Mandella today.

CryingForTheHorses
05-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Chalk up one for the little guy!!..Broken leg and all,Woolley told the camramen that this win gave them something else to talk about beside his horses cross country trip to Kentucky.The press are such a-holes looking to find wrong in everything.This was a champ last year in Canada and Woolley did state thanks to a man in Canada on the interview,I cant remember the name.The horse blew them away and Im sure he will again.Great job Great training and a great plan that went perfectly.Kudos for a great race..Like they said on tv...Start up that pickup and load that trailer...They wont sniff his butt in the Preakness if he goes

JustRalph
05-02-2009, 09:23 PM

He's used to it............ He had Lava Man too............ :bang:

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Or the people who sold him....though they did make a nice profit....I am already hearing people say the colt cost the owners 9500 bucks...however, I am pretty sure in the press conference, one of the co owners said they paid 400K for the horse when they purchased him privately at the end of last year....seems like a ton of money but it paid off!

Show Me the Wire
05-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Or the people who sold him....though they did make a nice profit....I am already hearing people say the colt cost the owners 9500 bucks...however, I am pretty sure in the press conference, one of the co owners said they paid 400K for the horse when they purchased him privately at the end of last year....seems like a ton of money but it paid off!

You may be correct, but still a steal for a Derby Winner. If Mandella had his druthers, I think he would opt for the Derby win, instead of any percentage of the $400k sale.

He just misjudged the animals talent and potential. Happens all the time. My comments were refering to the ribbing he is going to take from his fellow trainers.

Fingal
05-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Took a picture of Mine That Bird in the Juvenile BC @ Santa Anita last year.

(In reality, I wanted a picture of Chantal & she just happened to be sitting on the horse at the time............) :D

BIG49010
05-02-2009, 09:49 PM
I watched the movie "Glory" last night with my wife, and commented on how stupid and unlikely the movie was. Well liike all comments like that, today we watched it in real life, and my wife says " Kinda like the movie last night" LOL

Run Nicholas Run
05-02-2009, 10:14 PM
all this equals is that it is a FLUKE.

Whats next the Steelers losing at home in december
to the lions?

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2009, 12:08 AM
I wouldn't want to be Dick Mandella today.Or Chantal Sutherland

pandy
05-03-2009, 12:12 AM
yes.. congrats to Calvin :jump:

Borel undressed them.

Relwob Owner
05-03-2009, 12:14 AM
You may be correct, but still a steal for a Derby Winner. If Mandella had his druthers, I think he would opt for the Derby win, instead of any percentage of the $400k sale.

He just misjudged the animals talent and potential. Happens all the time. My comments were refering to the ribbing he is going to take from his fellow trainers.

Or, as often happens when a horse is sold privately, Mandella could have gotten nothing---tough game.

toussaud
05-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Took a picture of Mine That Bird in the Juvenile BC @ Santa Anita last year.

(In reality, I wanted a picture of Chantal & she just happened to be sitting on the horse at the time............) :D

i wonder how she feels now. goes back to canada and says "one day I will be in the derby"...only to have your BC juve mount win the derby when you leave.

fmolf
05-03-2009, 07:43 AM
i wonder how she feels now. goes back to canada and says "one day I will be in the derby"...only to have your BC juve mount win the derby when you leave.
she does not give him the ride borel does ....she is not as fearless....even the tomlinson for distance is low...wet track tommy was a bit higher...bris numbers have him as a better sprinter....he nevr ran a beyer over 81 and that was on a baked out sunland park track!...unbelievable i hope for racings sake he does not test positive for anything that would be a major hit to the game!