PDA

View Full Version : derby

john del riccio
05-02-2009, 06:22 PM
I like Desert Party.

Papa Clem and General Quarters behind him.

Good Luck.

John

Donnie
05-02-2009, 06:23 PM
played 2,6 over 2,6,7,12,16

Tom
05-02-2009, 06:33 PM
What a terrible race!
So many showed nothing at all!

And Durkin totally BLEW the call. Just blew it.

chickenhead
05-02-2009, 06:35 PM
calvins a sneaky little mofo -- too funny. Congrats to the owners

Onion Monster
05-02-2009, 06:37 PM
This is great news for the Preakness.

Worst Derby call ever? Worst Derby winner ever? That's what I call an exacta.

Tom
05-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Ya think Calvin had a couple of bucks on the winner? :lol:

Talk about HAPPY!
They're gonna need to talk him down tonight.

I had an exacta box POTN and SUMMER Bird...I thought I had it.
Dang, wrong bird.:(

miesque
05-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I admit that I would have had to hit the all button to use the winner, but Pioneer was second and I can't be mad or upset at all based on the connections. This is a true underdog winner story and the game needs all the feel good stories it can get.

I thought going into this that it was not going to be a Triple Crown on the line year and now I feel extremely confident that is the case.

Oh and by the way, I really don't like capping on muddy and sloppy tracks and this just reinforces that.

dav4463
05-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Trainer was 1 for 52 :lol:

toetoe
05-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Sheb Wooley !!! :ThmbUp: .

Calvin was, in the words of the great Danny Alameda, "scraping much paint."

slew101
05-02-2009, 07:08 PM
The co-owner either was in shock or was drunk. I doubt he expected he'd be on national TV.

As for the call, even the best can get tripped up in a 20-horse field, and that's what happened to Durkin. But even his call before the stretch was bad. He never called Fresian Fire dropping out near the turn.

Will listen to Johnson's call later.

miesque
05-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Did anyone else need another drink after this, or was that just me?

slew101
05-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Just listened to Johnson's call. It was OK but he also missed the horse coming through until he took the lead. Not as late as Durkin. Listen to the call, he stalls to see the number by saying "bursting through and picking them up" is.

It also looked like Borel's horse hit the rail when he was coming between the final horse he had to clear.

Will listen to Johnson's call later.

big frank
05-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Just listened to Johnson's call. It was OK but he also missed the horse coming through until he took the lead. Not as late as Durkin. Listen to the call, he stalls to see the number by saying "bursting through and picking them up" is.

It also looked like Borel's horse hit the rail when he was coming between the final horse he had to clear. I was thinking of how Calvin also fooled Trevor in the juv breeders cup with Street Sense,, he was 5 in front when he was noticed

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Trainer was 1 for 52 :lol:

Trainer seemed pretty sick of the locals and the media getting on him about his trip there and modest ways....the latter part of his interview before he went to the winners circle was sweet.....

Valuist
05-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Its never over til its over.....or the fat lady sings.....or all the postrace drug tests come back.

C'mon, a horse like Mine that Bird shocking the world and not only winning, but winning by one of the biggest margins in the history of the race? From a 1 for 52 barn? Isn't anyone at least slightly suspcious? Maybe its all legit, but remember after the Arlington Breeders Cup Pic 6, something didn't seem "right". In over 25 years of watching and handicapping races, this has to be one of the most implausible results I've ever seen.

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Its never over til its over.....or the fat lady sings.....or all the postrace drug tests come back.

C'mon, a horse like Mine that Bird shocking the world and not only winning, but winning by one of the biggest margins in the history of the race? From a 1 for 52 barn? Isn't anyone at least slightly suspcious? Maybe its all legit, but remember after the Arlington Breeders Cup Pic 6, something didn't seem "right". In over 25 years of watching and handicapping races, this has to be one of the most implausible results I've ever seen.If it weren't for Beyer figs, you'd see a horse who is 4 for 8 lifetime, a MAY foal, and a horse with decent off track breeding. Throw in a big time jockey switch and perhaps Beyers that might be deflated due to where they were earned...and you have yourself an improbable, but certainly not impossible.

Indulto
05-03-2009, 06:19 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/sports/othersports/03rail.html?ref=othersports (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/sports/othersports/03rail.html?ref=othersports)
Scratching Favorite From the Derby Was an Easy Call for His Trainer
By JOE DRAPE May 2, 2009 … Cloud Over Owner

Mine That Bird is owned by the son of a key figure in the corruption trial of former Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska.

The Anchorage Daily News reported that Mine That Bird was bought by Mark Allen and a partner for $400,000. The newspaper said the money came from the sale of the oil field services business VECO Corp., founded by Allen’s father, Bill Allen. The business is now defunct.

Mark Allen’s Double Eagle Ranch in Roswell, N.M., also keeps So Long Birdie, a horse once partly owned by Stevens.

Bill Allen pleaded guilty in 2007 to bribing Alaska politicians, but in a plea deal, won immunity for Mark Allen and other family members. Bill Allen has not been sentenced.

In the Stevens trial last year, the elder Allen testified that Mark had paid off an unidentified legislator. (AP)

ryesteve
05-03-2009, 07:12 AM
perhaps Beyers that might be deflated due to where they were earned...You're not saying those horses at Sunland are really running in the high 90's, are you?

fmolf
05-03-2009, 07:21 AM

C'mon, a horse like Mine that Bird shocking the world and not only winning, but winning by one of the biggest margins in the history of the race? From a 1 for 52 barn? Isn't anyone at least slightly suspcious? Maybe its all legit, but remember after the Arlington Breeders Cup Pic 6, something didn't seem "right". In over 25 years of watching and handicapping races, this has to be one of the most implausible results I've ever seen.
it certainly is and that would not shock me their is no possible way anyone could have landed on this horse except thru sheer playing of numbers!....this may increase the number of entrants in the preakness because now it is wide open anyones game....they asked borel after he won on the jazz horse and borel said the rail was the fastest part of the race track.....why was he the only one hugging it .....i guess the other jocks are not as astute!...congrats. to all who fell on the winner whether you liked the name or thru sheer numerology thoe are some big big payouts :bang:

Valuist
05-03-2009, 09:36 AM
If it weren't for Beyer figs, you'd see a horse who is 4 for 8 lifetime, a MAY foal, and a horse with decent off track breeding. Throw in a big time jockey switch and perhaps Beyers that might be deflated due to where they were earned...and you have yourself an improbable, but certainly not impossible.

He was off the board in his last prep. No, it wasn't on synthetic. It wasn't in the Florida Derby or Wood Memorial. It was the frickin' Sunland Derby. Results like this make one feel that form is meaningless. You cannot come up with a logical way to say he could win. Maybe a spill taking out 19 other horses.

Pace Cap'n
05-03-2009, 10:02 AM
it certainly is and that would not shock me their is no possible way anyone could have landed on this horse except thru sheer playing of numbers!....this may increase the number of entrants in the preakness because now it is wide open anyones game....they asked borel after he won on the jazz horse and borel said the rail was the fastest part of the race track.....why was he the only one hugging it .....i guess the other jocks are not as astute!...congrats. to all who fell on the winner whether you liked the name or thru sheer numerology thoe are some big big payouts :bang:

Julien Leparoux was interviewed on horseback after the sixth race and he stated the rail was the place to be. So at least one knew it.

dutchboy
05-03-2009, 03:15 PM
A Dallas, TX sportswriter who owns a few horses was on a local radio station this morning. Mine That Bird was on a trailer from NM to Lone Star to be entered in the Lone Star Derby. Only after the trainer and horse show up at Lone Star do they find out they have enough earnings for the KY Dby.

They load up at Lone Star and head to CD. Heck of a road trip and a heck of a story.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2009, 02:49 AM
You're not saying those horses at Sunland are really running in the high 90's, are you?I'm not a figure maker, so how or why would I say that. All I know is that Beyer and his associates aren't above changing figures after the fact if it turns out there is evidence to support such a thing.

hersh
09-25-2009, 05:08 AM
John-- Has anyone tried to replecate your kuck numbers. I know you steered your following to cj . His number are excellent but different and are not kuck numbers. Has anyone expressed interest in trying to reserect the kuck numbers or is this a lost art forever.