BeatTheChalk
05-02-2009, 04:36 PM
LOcal Radio has the call. I think it is Dave Johnson. He is a bit slower
than a few years ago ..but still Brings back memories..and I would
listen to the Marx Bros - before I would listen to all of these blokes from
overseas.

In the final act of disrespect ... CD .. brings in yet another race caller
from .. oh never mind .. you know. Time to stop finding folks from out of
the country. How about the USA ? One brilliant move they made ... Force callers on hold .. to listen to audio

replays of past derbies .. over and over and over. :mad: :eek: :( :confused: . THE FLAG IS UP

boomman
05-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Even though I will admit to having been surprised when Churchill selected a British announcer over some outstanding American candidates (a few of whom were not even selected to the final 5 auditions) I must say that IMHO Mark Johnson is doing an outstanding job. He reminds me a lot of the fine Australian announcer Terry Spargo (who calls the Dubai races) in his pronunciation and accuracy, and even sounds a little bit like him............

Boomer

JustRalph
05-02-2009, 05:07 PM
The Guy is growing on me. Very sharp comments during the race.

Tom
05-02-2009, 05:11 PM
I think like Ralph.....like something is growing on me...warts? :eek:

Hands down the worst I have ever heard. I have no idea what the hell he is saying, and most of it pure drivel to begin with. Einstein lets out the hand brake?????? Call the frigging race and forget the schtick, EINTSTEIN. :ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:
This guy sucks.

toussaud
05-02-2009, 05:14 PM

Hands down the worst I have ever heard. I have no idea what the hell he is saying, and most of it pure drivel to begin with. Einstein lets out the hand brake?????? Call the frigging race and forget the schtick, EINTSTEIN. :ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:
This guy sucks.

you ovbiously don't live here in arknasas with me and have to endure terry wallace all season.

johnson is a top notch caller. the only gripe people have with him is his accent, which iI think is a pathetic gripe. he misses nothing whatsoever.

philofbelloni
05-02-2009, 06:03 PM
The guy's legit. It'll take 5 years to garner respect.

sandpit
05-02-2009, 09:09 PM
He could be there 50 years and I won't like his call...plus if you are on track, he never shuts up between races...they need to tell him where the off switch is on his mic.

sandpit
05-02-2009, 09:10 PM
you ovbiously don't live here in arknasas with me and have to endure terry wallace all season.

johnson is a top notch caller. the only gripe people have with him is his accent, which iI think is a pathetic gripe. he misses nothing whatsoever.

I sympathize with you on the Wallace situation...he is unlistenable.

Rackon
05-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I'll say it again, I like Mark Johnson a lot and his Derby call was a helluva lot better than Tom Durkin's.

I wasn't at the track today (alas) so I didn't hear the commentary between races...but in my 50 years of going to the races I've thought there is usually lots and LOTS of dead time between races. Maybe the horseplayers want quiet but for events like KD & BC days where you have a ton of non-expert s/non-horse people there I don't see the harm. In fact, caller as emcee might be a very good thing for newbies (God forbid we ever do anything different or entertaining).

BeatTheChalk
05-02-2009, 11:30 PM

This guy sucks.

I could not have said it better.. I will just copy it and post it every racing day
:lol: :jump:

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2009, 02:48 AM
Man, with all this announcer bashing, you'd think the guy behind the mic had some sort of impact on whether or not we cash a ticket! :lol:

broadreach
05-03-2009, 06:13 AM
his Derby call was a helluva lot better than Tom Durkin's.

Agree, Mark Johnson only caught sight of the winner when it reached the lead, but Durkin was even worse:ThmbDown: