PDA

View Full Version : I Want Revenge is Scr'd

Saratoga_Mike
05-02-2009, 08:27 AM
I just heard from a friend in L'ville that IWR has been scr'd. Mullins has not stated a reason at this pt.

BillW
05-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Cfmd in Bloodhorse

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50574/i-want-revenge-to-be-scratched

Saratoga_Mike
05-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Cfmd in Bloodhorse

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50574/i-want-revenge-to-be-scratched

This is huge. Thanks for the confirm.

stu
05-02-2009, 08:46 AM
When was the last time (if ever) that the ML-favorite of the Kentucky Derby was scratched?

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 08:46 AM
This is huge. Thanks for the confirm.

The can of worms this opens up is unreal....

SM,

How are your top 5 horses without IWR?

stu
05-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Press release from Churchill a few minutes ago

MEDIA ALERT:
OWNERS INTEND TO SCRATCH I WANT REVENGE FROM KENTUCKY DERBY
9 A.M. ET NEWS CONFERENCE IN AUXILIARY MEDIA CENTER

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (May 2, 2009) – The connections of I Want Revenge will hold a news conference at 9 a.m. ET on Saturday in the Auxiliary Media Center. The owners intend to scratch morning line favorite I Want Revenge. No other information was available at this time.

Scheduled to appear at the news conference will be co-owner David Lanzman, trainer Jeff Mullins, Dr. Foster Northrop and Dr. Larry Bramlege.

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Press release from Churchill a few minutes ago

MEDIA ALERT:
OWNERS INTEND TO SCRATCH I WANT REVENGE FROM KENTUCKY DERBY
9 A.M. ET NEWS CONFERENCE IN AUXILIARY MEDIA CENTER

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (May 2, 2009) – The connections of I Want Revenge will hold a news conference at 9 a.m. ET on Saturday in the Auxiliary Media Center. The owners intend to scratch morning line favorite I Want Revenge. No other information was available at this time.

Scheduled to appear at the news conference will be co-owner David Lanzman, trainer Jeff Mullins, Dr. Foster Northrop and Dr. Larry Bramlege.

This is gonna be interesting....I will start the speculation ball rolling and say that maybe selling part of IWR earlier this week now has an explanation???????

Saratoga_Mike
05-02-2009, 08:57 AM
The can of worms this opens up is unreal....

SM,

How are your top 5 horses without IWR?

Top two: Friesan Fire/Dunkirk - slight edge to FF
Followed by: Musket Man, Papa Clem, and General Quarters (no order of preference)

POTN - Steve Davidowitz actually likes his chances, and he's a much better handicapper than I am. Personally I suspect he runs up the track.

Good luck with your horse today. Once PIM closes, he should fare well at CT.

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Top two: Friesan Fire/Dunkirk - slight edge to FF
Followed by: Musket Man, Papa Clem, and General Quarters (no order of preference)

POTN - Steve Davidowitz actually likes his chances, and he's a much better handicapper than I am. Personally I suspect he runs up the track.

Good luck with your horse today. Once PIM closes, he should fare well at CT.

Good deal.....I like FF and POTN....I am straying from the Beyers a bit and going with POTN to win and boxing West Side, Mr.Hot Stuff, POTn, FF and Summer Bird....I am cold as ice lately....

Thanks for the good luck...I am doing a rain dance:)

Saratoga_Mike
05-02-2009, 09:14 AM
This is gonna be interesting....I will start the speculation ball rolling and say that maybe selling part of IWR earlier this week now has an explanation???????

I try to ignore all things IEAH, so could you please tell me who the lucky buyer of the interest in IWR was a few weeks ago?

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 09:20 AM
I try to ignore all things IEAH, so could you please tell me who the lucky buyer of the interest in IWR was a few weeks ago?

Here is the article....

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50403/singer-acquires-piece-of-i-want-revenge?id=50403&source=rss

Bobzilla
05-02-2009, 09:20 AM
When was the last time (if ever) that the ML-favorite of the Kentucky Derby was scratched?

Stu, I can't remember for sure if A.P. Indy was the ML-favorite in 1992 but he certainly was one of the top choices. He was scratched the morning of the Derby as it was reported he had sustained a stone bruise.

stu
05-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Since some horsemen are superstitious, do you think the trisadekaphobes will ever select Post #13 again in the Derby draw? The rail may move up in popularity next year :)

joanied
05-02-2009, 09:22 AM
http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2009/news/2009/05/02/i-want-revenge-scratched

Mullins will hold a press conference at 9am. This really :ThmbDown: sucks. It changes everything for the handicappers...you guys are gonna have to hustle your bets now...and for everyone, it just takes so much away from the race itself...
I hope this isn't some kind of BS from the connections...can't imagine why they'd not run if the colt is sound...guess more will come out in the next few hours...
crap, crap, crap:mad:

Saratoga_Mike
05-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Here is the article....

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50403/singer-acquires-piece-of-i-want-revenge?id=50403&source=rss

Is it or me, or was someone on another thread earlier this week saying one would be crazy (in essence that's what he said) to sell a piece of a top Derby contender before the race? I assume he's changed his mind now!

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 09:24 AM
http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2009/news/2009/05/02/i-want-revenge-scratched

Mullins will hold a press conference at 9am. This really :ThmbDown: sucks. It changes everything for the handicappers...you guys are gonna have to hustle your bets now...and for everyone, it just takes so much away from the race itself...
I hope this isn't some kind of BS from the connections...can't imagine why they'd not run if the colt is sound...guess more will come out in the next few hours...
crap, crap, crap:mad:

Thank God for this forum....at 9:23, no word on the scratch on drf.com....."America's Turf Authority"....yeah, right.

reckless
05-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Stu, I can't remember for sure if A.P. Indy was the ML-favorite in 1992 but he certainly was one of the top choices. He was scratched the morning of the Derby as it was reported he had sustained a stone bruise.

I am talking from a historical perspective but in 1959 or so Sir Gaylord was scratched the morning of the Derby.

He was a half-brother to Secretariat and was 4-5 to win the race, if not the Triple Crown.

Sir Gaylord really towarded over that year's crop, as did A P Indy a generation or two later.

Saratoga_Mike
05-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Thank God for this forum....at 9:23, no word on the scratch on drf.com....."America's Turf Authority"....yeah, right.

Careful, Steve Crist is a racing god.

Greyfox
05-02-2009, 09:34 AM
It's an ankle, supposedly.

"Lanzman, trainer Jeff Mullins and veterinarians Dr. Foster Northrop and Dr. Larry Bramlege appeared at a news conference to explain the decision. They said they detected a potential problem in I Want Revenge's left front ankle early Saturday morning."

cj
05-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Was Buddha the ML favorite that year?

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Careful, Steve Crist is a racing god.

Are you kidding me? You bet he is and I would never cast dispersions on him.......I am a 36 year old man and in my home office, I have pictures of both Crist and Beyer on my wall...I dont know what my wife was thinking....

That being said, the format and currency of DRF.coom often leaves something to be desired at times.

sally
05-02-2009, 09:47 AM
What an exciting derby this year! This is such a racing Gods thing--the morning of the derby and IWR is scratched?! Now we all scramble to reshuffle our bets-- I wonder what the other trainers are thinking... are they smiling...

DeanT
05-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Selfishly this really sucks. I had all my exotics figured out with him off the tickets. I handicapped that and now I have no idea what to do to find value.

Bubbles
05-02-2009, 09:54 AM
The only good thing about this is that it opens the door for POTN to possibly take a whole mess of money despite never running on conventional dirt. With IWR out, Dunkirk looks nice if he gets up to about 6-1 or 7-1.

DJofSD
05-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Speaking of shuffling bets, what happens with the Oaks-Derby double wagers that were live to IWR? Refund? Post time favorite? Consolation?

Rockford
05-02-2009, 09:59 AM
With IWR out, Dunkirk looks nice if he gets up to about 6-1 or 7-1.

Wow. That would be pretty surprising. I have an advance wager in on Dunkirk (as I won't be able to get a bet in later today), and at this point I would be thrilled with half that price.

Hajck Hillstrom
05-02-2009, 10:03 AM
....and if the Wood was the most productive prep.... does this give WEST SIDE BERNIE a push from the dreaded rail?

Who was the last :1: to win the run...for the roses?

FERDINAND in `86? (Although WINNING COLORS did win from the rail in `88)

Hajck Hillstrom
05-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Speaking of shuffling bets, what happens with the Oaks-Derby double wagers that were live to IWR? Refund? Post time favorite? Consolation?I would think there will be a consolation in the DD.

DeanT
05-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Wow. That would be pretty surprising. I have an advance wager in on Dunkirk (as I won't be able to get a bet in later today), and at this point I would be thrilled with half that price.

I have not seen board odds (but they were way out of whack yesterday anyway with GQ at 5-1) but Betfair got rid of IWR in their betting and they opened - Dunkirk and FF are 4-1, PON is 5-1. That sounds logical, but I guess FF will go down if the track is sloppy later, as it is listed now.

miesque
05-02-2009, 10:09 AM
The scratch of I Want Revenge actually helps me because he was a horse I felt I absolutely had to use but really didn't feel he was giving me any value, so his scratch gives me to add another horse with more lucrative odds. Also for purely selfish reasons its nice because it helps my Future Exacta box bet of Pioneerof The Nile and Chocolate Candy which has been looking better and better as this past week has progressed.

For my Oaks Woodford Derby Pick 3 I used Pioneer, Chocolate Candy and Regal Ransom so this scratch doesn't impact that (I almost included IWR in that bet but at the last minuted decided against it)

reckless
05-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Speaking of shuffling bets, what happens with the Oaks-Derby double wagers that were live to IWR? Refund? Post time favorite? Consolation?

Knowing the way racetracks love to put the screws to the betting public, expect your $2 to be refunded.

Nets
05-02-2009, 10:15 AM

From Twin Spires Site:

I Want Revenge Scratched: Oaks/Derby Dbl and Oaks/Woodford/Derby P3 winning combinations will receive a consolation payout.

kenwoodallpromos
05-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Potentially lots of rain; 15+ in field; No large field or Quality Road in 2 weeks in Preakness.
With Mullins facing 7 day suspension in NY just after the Derby, IWR can run in the Preakness.

DJofSD
05-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Knowing the way racetracks love to put the screws to the betting public, expect your $2 to be refunded.
I Don't have a ticket with IWR, just wanting to know how my tickets will be diluted.

oddsmaven
05-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Sheer speculation on my part, but here is what I wonder might have led to this:

Many praised Talamo for his patient ride in the Wood...that was good but I hated that he split horses in the stretch...just maybe another horse kicked him good as can easily happen in a tight spot like that...there was no reason to knife him through there as he had ample earnings...so I'm wondering if he sustained the injury then and agrravated it during his last workout.

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Sheer speculation on my part, but here is what I wonder might have led to this:

Many praised Talamo for his patient ride in the Wood...that was good but I hated that he split horses in the stretch...just maybe another horse kicked him good as can easily happen in a tight spot like that...there was no reason to knife him through there as he had ample earnings...so I'm wondering if he sustained the injury then and agrravated it during his last workout.

I have to strongly disagree with you here....It was the Wood Memorial and Talamo's job was to win the race and he did it. He rode a patient careful race and wen through the hole when it opened. If you are going to point to being kicked as a reason/cause for an injury, horses wouldnt be put on the track.....can you imagine if he diodnt go through the spot and afterwards said. "Well, there was a hole that was kind small so I decided to pull back and wit to win in the Derby?"......I dont think the owners would be too happy with that, nor would horseplayers....

DeanT
05-02-2009, 10:50 AM
OM,

I aint a vet and am not a trainer, but I do pay trainers and vets :)............. That would have shown a day or two after the race and they would have known about it. They are brittle athletes so something as simple as some heat in the ankle could have happened with him walking the shedrow this week.

JMO and pure spec of course. But I highly doubt this happened in a race.

Greyfox
05-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Talamo's fault? Very, very doubtful.
I'd buy panic on Mullins part before that.

sally
05-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Talamo's fault? Very, very doubtful.
I'd buy panic on Mullins part before that.

:D:D

oddsmaven
05-02-2009, 11:03 AM
I have to strongly disagree with you here....It was the Wood Memorial and Talamo's job was to win the race and he did it. He rode a patient careful race and wen through the hole when it opened. If you are going to point to being kicked as a reason/cause for an injury, horses wouldnt be put on the track.....can you imagine if he diodnt go through the spot and afterwards said. "Well, there was a hole that was kind small so I decided to pull back and wit to win in the Derby?"......I dont think the owners would be too happy with that, nor would horseplayers....
He may well of come out of the Wood totally unscathed, but I cringed when he did it...can't agree with you at all that winning the Wood was critical given the earnings he had...the big prize is the Derby and it would be foolish to jeopardize it IMO...I felt the smart ride was to take him wide in the stretch rather than shoot through a hole that can often close on you, and if it cost him the Wood, so be it...limit your risks and play it safe.

I'm not a horseman, but I still wonder if he sustained a very minor injury then and aggravated it later.

philofbelloni
05-02-2009, 11:27 AM
From Twin Spires Site:

I Want Revenge Scratched: Oaks/Derby Dbl and Oaks/Woodford/Derby P3 winning combinations will receive a consolation payout.
Can anyone speculate as to how the consolation works?
I had RA with 5 in Wdfrd and 5 in KD. W/iwr scratch, do I receive a $5-$8 (guessing on price) consolation if I make it to the KD leg?

Bluto Blutarsky
05-02-2009, 11:36 AM
It's called Karma.

damn anonymous posters

joanied
05-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I see some are already jumping on Talamo as the reason IWR has heat in an ankle...I even looked at the Wood again...he was in tight, but I cannot see that the colt may have been kicked...and way too much time has passed between the Wood and this development anyway...

my theory...the day of, or the day before he shipped out of NY, IWR got casted in his stall...he got himself scratched up in the process...I figure many of you have seen a casted horse...some just lay there, but others do panic, and from the scratches he sustained, I'd say IWR tried hard to get himself off the stall wall...so it's very possible he may have done something to this ankle and it took a few days to get hot.
That is what I think happened...I'm glad xrays didn't show anything...which means the horse will most probably be fine in a few days or a week, whatever...we'll see him in the Preakness.

And although I feel really bad for Joe Talamo...as Bluto posted...maybe it's just bad karma!!!
At any rate...even though I was not going to pick IWR...this really sucks:ThmbDown:

WinterTriangle
05-02-2009, 11:57 AM
heh heh somebody hinted that IWR would be scratched at about 2:30 in the morning last night on another forum....

he was called a troll and got tomatoes thrown at him, so I wasn't gonna spread what appeared to be a rumor.

Ah well. Off track, probably other scratches on card today, not quite as excited about wagering as I was........

46zilzal
05-02-2009, 12:01 PM
PP 13 had nothing to do with it

Run Nicholas Run
05-02-2009, 12:04 PM
dont want to see anything happen to the horse
but it couldnt happen to a better group of scumbags :D :D

joanied
05-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Good deal.....I like FF and POTN....I am straying from the Beyers a bit and going with POTN to win and boxing West Side, Mr.Hot Stuff, POTn, FF and Summer Bird....I am cold as ice lately....

Thanks for the good luck...I am doing a rain dance:)

I think your dance is :) working....I just turned on the TV to ESPN...track looks like a damned swamp...of course it might change if they don't get anymore rain...

Hope you warm up, Relwob...best of luck with your bets...I'm almost ready to post mine:faint:

joanied
05-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I just now heard that Dr. Bramledge beleives this ankle thing with IWR is a soft tissue injury...they'll get an MRI done later today...so I am thinking maybe my theory about this happening when the horse got casted might be right on?

Another theory might be that the sloppy track has scared them off...I hope that's not the reason.

Bubba X
05-02-2009, 12:14 PM
With the IWR scratch, all the money using him in the Oaks-Derby Double and the Pick-3 will go conso or, I assume in the p-3, go to the p/t favorite in the Derby.

In any event, given the level of casual playing on the race, it will be a

Stoopers Paradise.

joanied
05-02-2009, 12:15 PM
heh heh somebody hinted that IWR would be scratched at about 2:30 in the morning last night on another forum....

he was called a troll and got tomatoes thrown at him, so I wasn't gonna spread what appeared to be a rumor.

Ah well. Off track, probably other scratches on card today, not quite as excited about wagering as I was........

HUH...that's interesting...I suppose the night watchman or someone else during the night, may have found the heat at that time of the night...and they had to wait til this morning to announce the scratch.

Go ahead and make your wagers, WinterTriangle...ya never know!!!
Good luck and have a great Derby Day:ThmbUp:

Greyfox
05-02-2009, 12:17 PM
I just now heard that Dr. Bramledge beleives this ankle thing with IWR is a soft tissue injury...

I believe that Dr. Bramlage (Bramledge?) is the same vet that inspected Barbaro after he broke through the gate, is he not?

JustRalph
05-02-2009, 01:01 PM
HUH...that's interesting...I suppose the night watchman or someone else during the night, may have found the heat at that time of the night...and they had to wait til this morning to announce the scratch.

Go ahead and make your wagers, WinterTriangle...ya never know!!!
Good luck and have a great Derby Day:ThmbUp:

Let's hope that night watchman didn't whack the horse with his flashlight :bang:

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I think your dance is :) working....I just turned on the TV to ESPN...track looks like a damned swamp...of course it might change if they don't get anymore rain...

Hope you warm up, Relwob...best of luck with your bets...I'm almost ready to post mine:faint:

Im sorry JoanieD! I was responding to someone and at the end was referring to a horsey I have running today in Maryland-we are hoping to have it taken off the turf....

I am not hoping for a wet derby but it looks like it will be one-between that and IWR, I am pretty bummed-little value on POTN or FF but I will still bet and pull for them, with West Side Bernie right behind---a Dunkirk win equals no grin from me....good luck!

toussaud
05-02-2009, 01:49 PM
i'm bummed for 2 reasons. 1. i'm losing value on horses I like. 2. scratches and conditions will answer nothing today. everyone will have an excuse.

TurfRuler
05-02-2009, 02:03 PM
TurfRuler Order w/comments

1. Pioneerof the Nile – Birthday surprise “mud cakes” but GR I winners win GR I races so do the connections while managing their Empire.

2. I Want Revenge – Will he be mannish again or a monster, maybe fatigue will kick in and he’ll wimp to the breeding shed.

3. Chocolate Candy – Willing and able to run all day, will be in the mix, could catch them all today.

4. Musket Man – GQ spoiled unbeaten record, always ready to rumble.

5, Friesan Fire – Tactical speed can win on an off-track, up close early; nose, whisker, hair time.

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 02:09 PM
i'm bummed for 2 reasons. 1. i'm losing value on horses I like. 2. scratches and conditions will answer nothing today. everyone will have an excuse.
ditto

joanied
05-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Im sorry JoanieD! I was responding to someone and at the end was referring to a horsey I have running today in Maryland-we are hoping to have it taken off the turf...

I am not hoping for a wet derby but it looks like it will be one-between that and IWR, I am pretty bummed-little value on POTN or FF but I will still bet and pull for them, with West Side Bernie right behind---a Dunkirk win equals no grin from me....good luck!

OK...hope that they do...I'll start a chant...off the turf, off the turf, off the turf:ThmbUp:

Me too...even though it'll help FF...I posted my picks, somewhere:confused: ... a win by either Pioneer or FF will make me happy....I just don't want some loooooong shot like Atomic Rain or Join the Dance to jump up and win in a fluke...
now I am gonna get comfy and watch the TV coverage:) ...have a great day and hope that Maryland race gets off the turf and your horsey wins:ThmbUp:

joanied
05-02-2009, 02:52 PM
TurfRuler Order w/comments

1. Pioneerof the Nile – Birthday surprise “mud cakes” but GR I winners win GR I races so do the connections while managing their Empire.

2. I Want Revenge – Will he be mannish again or a monster, maybe fatigue will kick in and he’ll wimp to the breeding shed.

3. Chocolate Candy – Willing and able to run all day, will be in the mix, could catch them all today.

4. Musket Man – GQ spoiled unbeaten record, always ready to rumble.

5, Friesan Fire – Tactical speed can win on an off-track, up close early; nose, whisker, hair time.

IWR won't be either one...I guess by now, you know he's a no show:)

Relwob Owner
05-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Is it or me, or was someone on another thread earlier this week saying one would be crazy (in essence that's what he said) to sell a piece of a top Derby contender before the race? I assume he's changed his mind now!

Oh, yes he did.....it is that bird in hand analogy, I think!:)...I think it was on the IEAH is broke thread....