PDA

View Full Version : Landmark TVG deal with TrackNet -- CD and others

andicap
05-01-2009, 04:17 PM
OK, we got all hot and bothered over the first story -- the least we can do is acknowledge TVG has reached a deal for Churchill and other TrackNet tracks to take bets on its Website and stream the video.

No TV signals tho, which you can't blame TrackNet/Magna for -- they have exclusive deals for their HRTV channel which are only fair. How else will your network get any traction unless you have something your competition lacks? Would CBS share its NFL rights with ABC?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50552/tvg-gets-churchill-other-tracknet-signals

I'd like to think the hue and cry raised by fans, HANA, the media and others has helped bring these deals to fruition.

It also sounds like Betfair has been a bit more flexible than TVG's former owners were (News Corp. and Liberty Media) in negotiating with TrackNet.

I've always found Betfair an extremely fan-friendly company. As a customer, I'm 100% satisfied with them and their customer support is top-notch.

Of course I still don't know who is going to carry the Derby over here. Of course I'll probably be in a pub at 11 p.m. GMT so I might have to catch the replay online.

DeanT
05-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Some nice quotes in the article. The staus-quo is taking a beating it seems. This comes as welcome news to many in racing, and the ones who want to cling to the status quo and fight about things might find themselves (thankfully) on the unemployment line. Hell, we can dream, cant we?

“People have been talking about a 24-hour international racing channel for about 20 years that I have been attending racing conferences,” Nichols said, “and we probably see ourselves on the forefront of delivering on that promise rather than showing up at the next conference and talking about it, which seems to be the predilection of many people in horse racing.”

Cunningham said Betfair is “very focused on getting a plan in place that helps TVG get more consumer-oriented"

TVG for years operated on a business model built on exclusive wagering and broadcast contracts with racetracks, but appears to be shifting toward exclusivity only in television broadcast rights, such as for the recently-completed Keeneland spring meet.

“What were circumstances that prevailed 10 years ago may not necessarily prevail now,” Nichols said. “And you have got to recognize the commercial reality, and adapt to that commercial reality. I think that (Keeneland) deal is indicative of our ability to surmise how things have changed, and to put into place a deal that enables us to offer exclusive television, and be rewarded for that, but also to compete with other ADWs and broaden the appeal of not only Keeneland, but premium U.S. horse racing.”

andicap
05-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Dean,
I won't sue you for stealing my headline for the blog.
;)
(BTW, why is it so difficult for me to find a link to the main HANA site from the blog? Intuitively, hitting the top banner should get me to HANA but it keeps me on the blog. So does the HANA link on the bottom of the page. Is there an issue with my browser? What am I missing here?)

Don't get me wrong. There are still MAJOR issues out there for fans as far as the ADWs are concerned -- the lack of a voice for one thing. We're always subject to the whims of horsemen, ADWs, tracks, etc. And while an argument can be made for some exclusivity -- as I did above -- it is a topic that needs further study and debate. As a legal NY resident I still have to join two ADWs to get all the NYRA video -- You Bet and a TrackNet affiliate.

DeanT
05-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Two reasons: 1) Blog started before the website and 2) The guy who runs the blog is a doofus :)

We have been pretty happy with the incremental changes lately Andy - more rebates and for players who dont have to pay 1M (eg Hawthorne), and now this. A long way to go, but certainly a good first step, imo (and I think the rest of the crew feel the same way............ things will not change overnight).

thruncy
05-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Some nice quotes in the article. The staus-quo is taking a beating it seems. This comes as welcome news to many in racing, and the ones who want to cling to the status quo and fight about things might find themselves (thankfully) on the unemployment line. Hell, we can dream, cant we?Simple fact is times are tough. In 2006 they weren't & CDI/Tracknet pulled the plug on TVG because they're arrogant greedy, myopic c...skrs. They will richly deserve every bag of s..t ever dumped on 'em.