PDA

View Full Version : is it me or has friesan fire become the forgotton one?

Zippy Chippy
05-01-2009, 12:18 AM
In the past week I've barely heard a peep about this horse, whether its on tv,forums,drf etc. Everyone has been talking about everty other contender but him.

fmolf
05-01-2009, 12:43 AM
In the past week I've barely heard a peep about this horse, whether its on tv,forums,drf etc. Everyone has been talking about everty other contender but him.
i will be using him in my tri's and exactas .......lets keep this under our proverbial hats ;)

Run Nicholas Run
05-01-2009, 12:49 AM
one of the few "handicappers" I like to listen to here
in Nevada on the radio LOVES Friesan Fire and actually
has gotten a syndicate to wheel the horse in all 3 spots
for the trifecta.
Dave the meatman Scandaliato is the handicapper,
meatand potatoes.com is his site and he has an archive
of his shows which are 30 mins a day and are very entertaining.

CBedo
05-01-2009, 02:13 AM
one of the few "handicappers" I like to listen to here
in Nevada on the radio LOVES Friesan Fire and actually
has gotten a syndicate to wheel the horse in all 3 spots
for the trifecta.
Dave the meatman Scandaliato is the handicapper,
meatand potatoes.com is his site and he has an archive
of his shows which are 30 mins a day and are very entertaining.
Nice little $1,026 key.

Walter
05-01-2009, 08:18 AM
F.F. Gets a mention in the Racing Post [U.K.] as one of the horses that handle slop.

Watcher
05-01-2009, 08:26 AM
F.F. Gets a mention in the Racing Post [U.K.] as one of the horses that handle slop.
I was about to say if the track is wet, I'm on FF.

RICKJB
05-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Wake UP!!! Zippy. FF will be the first or second favorite at post time!!!!!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Relwob Owner
05-01-2009, 08:45 AM

I wish you were right but I think many have mentioned him-Beyer definitely did in his article and if it is sloppy. I think I will be getting 4 to one on him instead of the 7 or 8 I wanted.....:(

Richie
05-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Your right, he is the hottest horse on the net, everyone likes him, definite 2nd choice.

miesque
05-01-2009, 09:32 AM
I expect this horse to get a tremendous amount of play, most especially if its raining, in fact he may end up the second favorite if its sloppy. I was planning on taking a stand against Friesan Fire, but if its sloppy (which looks highly possible at the moment) there is no way I can exclude him from my plays.

Bubba X
05-01-2009, 09:40 AM
I think Grindstone in 1996 was the last Louisiana Derby winner to win in Kentucky. He's also the only KD winner to have won the Louisiana race in the last 50 years. He's looked good in New Orleans, but so have many, many others who haven't run back well out of that race. I don' t like his chances, especially at a fairly short number.

overthehill
05-01-2009, 10:31 AM
good horses can come from anywhere. besides risen star should have won the derby also. i would not exclude this horse from contention from the stat you provided.

46zilzal
05-01-2009, 12:22 PM
no...this one destroyed the his field's so easily that I doubt he has been really tested. Good connections too.

Rider never even cocked the whip down the lane

toussaud
05-01-2009, 01:24 PM
right now he's the favoriate

joanied
05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
FF has been one of my top 3 all along...and with the sloppy track, you guys won't get more than 4-1 on him...he'll run huge!!
:)

Bubba X
05-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Does anyone else find it odd that a horse that has never been as far as 9 furlongs may be the favorite? He basically has to race the length of the stretch farther than he's ever run.

Who is the last Derby winner to have never run longer than 8.5 furlongs?

He's fast and visually impressive but the distance issue is a pretty big knock for a horse going off so short.

46zilzal
05-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Does anyone else find it odd that a horse that has never been as far as 9 furlongs may be the favorite? He basically has to race the length of the stretch farther than he's ever run.

Canonero II ran several 10 furlong races in South America before surprising at Chruchill

They track is running EARLIER than normal today. If it carries over, it will be tough on I Want Revenge, Friesen and Pioneerof the Nile.

ANY Derby winner,, and most have, coming out of the standard preps nan 9 furlongs before the first Saturday in May.

Bubba X
05-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Canonero II ran several 10 furlong races in South America before surprising at Chruchill

They track is running EARLIER than normal today. If it carries over, it will be tough on I Want Revenge, Friesen and Pioneerof the Nile.Which means what? That Juan Arias knew what he was doing?

I just find it pretty amazing this horse hasn't been longer than 1 1/16 and is so short. I also think the Louisiana Derby >> straight to the Ky Derby path is pretty weak.

Nice horse and he can win but at a short price?

46zilzal
05-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Nice horse and he can win but at a short price?
If anything the bias of today's racing surface, if transferred to tomorrow, will create such a calvalry charge late that a mere hint of trouble will block the mass of closers this race has an overabundance of.

You asked a question I answered it. Canonero's trainer did know what he was doing and if he had not come down with thrush, HE would be a Triple Crown winner as he beat Riva Ridge the next year at Narragansett.

I saw him before he left in the Del Mar Futurity and well remember a group of people kissing him and murmuring things in Spanish to him in the paddock that day.

Bubba X
05-01-2009, 02:44 PM
If anything the bias of today's racing surface, if transferred to tomorrow, will create such a calvalry charge late that a mere hint of trouble will block the mass of closers this race has an overabundance of.

You asked a question I answered it. Canonero's trainer did know what he was doing and if he had not come down with thrush, HE would be a Triple Crown winner as he beat Riva Ridge the next year at Narragansett.

I saw him before he left in the Del Mar Futurity and well remember a group of people kissing him and murmuring things in Spanish to him in the paddock that day.
Actually, the question I asked was what horse has won the Ky Derby having not raced further than 8.5F.

And yes, Canonero II was a very good horse. Not only did he prep going 10F, he did it against older horses.

tribecaagent
05-01-2009, 03:14 PM

He's fast and visually impressive but the distance issue is a pretty big knock for a horse going off so short.

I like this horse but I gotta tell ya, at 7-1 he's. At 4 or even 5-1, I'll let him beat me.

Relwob Owner
05-01-2009, 03:35 PM
I like this horse but I gotta tell ya, at 7-1 he's. At 4 or even 5-1, I'll let him beat me.

Good thinking....I am bummed-thought 8 to 1 was a lock...

46zilzal
05-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Actually, the question I asked was what horse has won the Ky Derby having not raced further than 8.5F.

And yes, Canonero II was a very good horse. Not only did he prep going 10F, he did it against older horses.
Charismatic's last was 8.5 can't recall if he went in a 9 furlong prep before that

Tee
05-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Charismatic's last was 8.5 can't recall if he went in a 9 furlong prep before that

Charismatic ran in the Santa Anita Derby = 9 furlongs.

Bubba X
05-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Charismatic's last was 8.5 can't recall if he went in a 9 furlong prep before thatI believe he ran 4th or 5th in the SA Derby.

Anyway, the last horse to win the Derby having not raced as far as 9 furlongs was Middleground. In 1950.

One other small ding against Freisian Fire is no horse has won the Derby off a layoff as long as his in 80 years.

Nice horse. But he's got a lot of history to beat.

tribecaagent
05-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Good thinking....I am bummed-thought 8 to 1 was a lock...

I'm pretty sure I read on this board where someone said the public bets with their heart in this race. This seems to be true here.

Why are you bummed Relwob? This might turn out for the better. I know you like PoTN and he might be overlooked. Let's face it, someone WILL be overlooked with FF being bet.

I'm not in Kentucky and I have no idea about the weather, but that track dries out quick so I wouldn't assume the track being wet.