PDA

View Full Version : Justice Souter Retiring in June

Overlay
04-30-2009, 11:26 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30508968/

He's "only" 69.

Shouldn't change the Court's balance much, though.

He's quoted in the article as having defended his opinions in abortion cases by saying that the country has come to rely upon the availability of abortion, and that overturning a landmark decision like Roe v. Wade due solely to political pressure would subvert the Court's legitimacy. Some might have formerly said the same things about slavery with reference to Dred Scott v. Sandford, or "separate but equal" with regard to Plessy v. Ferguson before they were done away with.

Tom
04-30-2009, 11:52 PM
This guy is a useless slice of pork.
Hope his retirement is filled with misery and bad luck.
:ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

Secretariat
05-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Let's just hope Obama appoints judges as far to the left as GW did appoint judges as far to the right.

Tom
05-01-2009, 09:09 PM
He's down to Opra or Rev Wright

ArlJim78
05-01-2009, 10:41 PM
it's even money that whoever he appoints will have a tax problem.

BlueShoe
05-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Souter was considered moderate to center left.The next appointee will be a woman,Black or Latina,and far left.

Tom
05-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Sorry, Dr Phil.

Rookies
05-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Souter was considered moderate to center left.The next appointee will be a woman,Black or Latina,and far left.

Just a little clairvoyance on my part last night. ;) Little did I know, the choice would come up so soon.

After 8 years of darkness and 2 conservative choices, you can BANK on it ! The inside word on Souter is that he was disgusted by the Bush-Gore election decision, wanted to quit, but was loathe to give Bush another con. Given the demographics, Obama could appoint up to 4 Supreme Court Justices during his term/(s). They'll be as sharp a legal mind as Roberts, Scalia and Alito- but from the left.

BlueShoe
05-01-2009, 11:31 PM
How sharp?If they are from the Left,their minds will be about as sharp as a rusty potato masher.

Rookies
05-01-2009, 11:44 PM
How sharp?If they are from the Left,their minds will be about as sharp as a rusty potato masher.

Are saying that there are no brilliant minds on the Left ? Is that how completely unbalanced Conservatives are here ?

Show Me the Wire
05-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Let's just hope Obama appoints judges as far to the left as GW did appoint judges as far to the right.

Maybe President bumpkin's appointee will stick it to him like Justice Souter did to his appointer. Or maybe we could get a Justice that might uphold property rights, instead of allowing local governments from displacing poor people from their homes in favor of revenue producing prjects. What a novel idea.

I wonder what ever happened to that eminent domain attempt against Souter's farm?

PaceAdvantage
05-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Are saying that there are no brilliant minds on the Left ? Is that how completely unbalanced Conservatives are here ?I'm not sure how this qualifies for the label "unbalanced." Are you saying you're balanced by comparison?

Rookies
05-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Of course.

And just to make sure you've got this correctly, I am saying that if you don't understand and acknowledge that there are brilliant legal minds on the left, then you qualify for this Webster's definition:

Main Entry:
un·bal·anced : not balanced: as mentally disordered or deranged

cj's dad
05-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Of course.

And just to make sure you've got this correctly, I am saying that if you don't understand and acknowledge that there are brilliant legal minds on the left, then you qualify for this Webster's definition:

Main Entry:
un·bal·anced : not balanced: as mentally disordered or deranged

You live in Canada - why do you care what happens here ?? I certainly don't care nor have ever commented what goes on in Canada in any of your states - do you have states, colonies, provinces, see i don't even know and could care less.

Tom
05-02-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm with you. Maybe we should start telling them how to live and how bad their country is. Quebec sucks! :D

Show Me the Wire
05-02-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm with you. Maybe we should start telling them how to live and how bad their country is. Quebec sucks! :D

I think we should invade them again and really give them something to complain about when we force them to take Detroit back.

Bubba X
05-02-2009, 10:00 PM
A lot of folks are going to miss Souter compared to what his successor is going to look like.

:eek:

Tom
05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Bubba, he picked Joe Biden.....what could be worse pick?

Bubba X
05-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Joe's ok, just gets a little chatty at times. Needs to head to an undisclosed location for a while. In the meantime, new leaves will blow and the people on the right who care about these trivial things will chase them one at a time like a puppy.

Tom
05-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Not me. I have a Mexican who does my yard work.

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2009, 02:57 AM
Of course.

Main Entry:
un·bal·anced : not balanced: as mentally disordered or derangedSo if I believe there are no brilliant legal minds on the left, then I have a mental disorder and/or I'm deranged?

That's pretty wild stuff...way out there in fact.

How about if I believe the National League has no shot to win the World Series this year...would I also qualify as having a mental disorder?

Do you read what you type? Because I'm thinking you're on auto-pilot right about now and just having fun messing with people here on off-topic.

Lefty
05-03-2009, 11:53 AM
there may be brilliant legal minds on theleft, trouble is, when the get on the "court" they don't want to follow the Constitution, they want to make new law. They made new abortion law and new property rights law, and on and on...

Rookies
05-03-2009, 01:21 PM
So if I believe there are no brilliant legal minds on the left, then I have a mental disorder and/or I'm deranged?

That's pretty wild stuff...way out there in fact.

How about if I believe the National League has no shot to win the World Series this year...would I also qualify as having a mental disorder?

Do you read what you type? Because I'm thinking you're on auto-pilot right about now and just having fun messing with people here on off-topic.

I'll play along with your baseball analogy.

You presuppose that the dreaded Skankees or the Bosox will be turning it around or the Angels or the good guys ( Blue Js) will go wire to wire. At this juncture of the season, I'd say that was a foolish opinion where one is blinded by his team/ league support and doesn't allow for the vicissitudes of the season, nor for the talent on the Dodgers or th slow start of the Cubs, etc.

But, you're not saying that, which short of down 3 games to none in the W.S., could be based on math propositions of baseball/ sports history.
No, you are saying that the National League does not have the player talent, the coaching experience, the managerial brilliance to ever win the World Series.

Just because I don't agree with all the decisions of Roberts & Alito, that doesn't mean I don't think they are top judicial scholars with keen, brilliant minds on the arts of jurisprudence. It never occurred to me that some conservatives here would steadfastly believe and decide that the "National League will never win the W.S. " That they are so blinded by their ideology and beliefs in players and systems of the "American League", that there is zero possibility for even the consideration of the talent of the other side.

That's deranged.

Thankfully, Lefty ponied up an eminently reasonable prop to me on this subject, even though I may not necessarily share his conclusion. While in agreement with the proposition, Lefty doesn't like the results when it comes into play. Fair enough. But even with top courts, Presidents don't always get exactly what they appear to want. This is what happens in life.

boxcar
05-03-2009, 01:39 PM
there may be brilliant legal minds on theleft, trouble is, when the get on the "court" they don't want to follow the Constitution, they want to make new law. They made new abortion law and new property rights law, and on and on...

Correcto! And what in the world is "brilliant" about overstepping the Constitutional limits and authority by legislating from the bench!? :bang: :bang:

Boxcar

mostpost
05-03-2009, 09:02 PM
You live in Canada - why do you care what happens here ?? I certainly don't care nor have ever commented what goes on in Canada in any of your states - do you have states, colonies, provinces, see i don't even know and could care less.

That is not something you should be proud of. An attitude like that is why Americans are disliked. They have provinces (Newfundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchawan, Alberta, and British Columbia) and territories (Yukon and Northwest). I think Labrador is also one of the provinces; I'm doing this from memory. The point is; Canadians have as much right to an opinion as United Statesers.

boxcar
05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
That is not something you should be proud of. An attitude like that is why Americans are disliked. They have provinces (Newfundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchawan, Alberta, and British Columbia) and territories (Yukon and Northwest). I think Labrador is also one of the provinces; I'm doing this from memory. The point is; Canadians have as much right to an opinion as United Statesers.

Yeah, right. And they should keep those opinions on their side of border to bandy around among themselves. They mean nothing to us on our side of it.

Boxcar

Rookies
05-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah, right. And they should keep those opinions on their side of border to bandy around among themselves. They mean nothing to us on our side of it.Boxcar

:sleeping: Two words for you Boxcar: jingoism & zenophobia.

Part of being a conservative American since the founding fathers broke bread, so I'm sure you don't need to look them up. ;)

Tom
05-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Oh gee, Canadians don't like us? Wow, whatever will we do now? Fart north, I guess.

I remind your that our founding fathers liked a lot of trash out of here back then. They moved to Canada and bred you.

Looks like the tradition continues today......

More than a week after the swine flu outbreak rattled the world, with cases of infected people popping up from Mexico to South Korea, the new virus strain has shown up in a herd of swine. The catch, Canadian officials say, is that the animals may have caught the flu from a human.

Must read....., eh? :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/02/swine.flu/

mostpost
05-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Oh gee, Canadians don't like us? Wow, whatever will we do now? Fart north, I guess.

I remind your that our founding fathers liked a lot of trash out of here back then. They moved to Canada and bred you.

Looks like the tradition continues today......

Must read....., eh? :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/02/swine.flu/
This from a guy who lives in canada iguana :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2009, 04:01 AM
No, you are saying that the National League does not have the player talent, the coaching experience, the managerial brilliance to ever win the World Series. Nope, that's not what I said! You have completely misinterpreted in your quest to hurl more names and labels onto people.

One could EASILY hold the belief that there are no brilliant legal minds on the left AT THIS MOMENT, similar to thinking that the Nationa League has no chance to win the world series THIS YEAR.

Nobody said a thing about UNTIL THE END OF TIME, as in "there are no brilliant legal minds on the left now and there will NEVER be any brilliant legal minds on the left."

At this point, this whole thing is silly. Including your assertion that just because someone holds an extreme opinion on brilliant legal minds, that makes them somehow deranged.

cj's dad
05-04-2009, 01:48 PM
1 - That is not something you should be proud of. 2 - An attitude like that is why Americans are disliked. 3 -They have provinces (Newfundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchawan, Alberta, and British Columbia) and territories (Yukon and Northwest). I think Labrador is also one of the provinces; I'm doing this from memory. The point is; 4 - Canadians have as much right to an opinion as United Statesers.

#1 - I am neither proud nor ambivalent - it's just my opinion - Canada is of zero importance to me and therefore I cannot understand the reverse.

#2 - Maybe you are disliked, but I'm not - been to many countries and have not had a problem, have you ?

#3 - You know more about Canada than I - :eek:

#4 - United Statesers ?? I'm pretty sure we are referred to as Americans:cool:

46zilzal
05-04-2009, 01:52 PM
The MAJOR thing I noticed in moving here was the lack of tunnel vision these "world" citizens have here. They recognize we share this green ball and not EVERYTHING centers around a single point on that globe.

American exceptionism is alive and well and if you listen to some of the news propaganda, is it becoming even more entrenched akin to cheer leading sections at football games.

This country is in such approximation in culture, geography and economy that if one is not aware at what goes on South of the 49h parallel, one is not informed.

boxcar
05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
:sleeping: Two words for you Boxcar: jingoism & zenophobia.

Part of being a conservative American since the founding fathers broke bread, so I'm sure you don't need to look them up. ;)

Well...only to dimwits who think it's polite for someone to go sticking his nose into someone else's business. But a crude, insensitive, impolite and socially-challenged boor like yourself, I suppose, is in the habit of knocking on your neighbors' doors all the time to vent your stupid and irrelevant opinions about what they wear, how they should cut their lawns, how you don't think their trees are trimmed properly for your tastes, how they shouldn't be eating all those charcoal-prepared, carcinogenic-loaded BB-Q'd foods etc., etc.

Boxcar
P.S. And here's something else to stuff in your hash pipe: I could care less what third rate countries think about the U.S. Let them accomplish half of what we have, then I might begin to think they have some credibility that would justify me expending my valuable time listening to them.

mostpost
05-04-2009, 04:08 PM
#1 - I am neither proud nor ambivalent - it's just my opinion - Canada is of zero importance to me and therefore I cannot understand the reverse.

#2 - Maybe you are disliked, but I'm not - been to many countries and have not had a problem, have you ?

#3 - You know more about Canada than I - :eek:

#4 - United Statesers ?? I'm pretty sure we are referred to as Americans:cool:
1. which you are entitled to. As am I.
2 Never
3. OK
4. I knew you'd like that :cool:

Bubba X
05-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Well...only to dimwits who think it's polite for someone to go sticking his nose into someone else's business. But a crude, insensitive, impolite and socially-challenged boor like yourself, I suppose, is in the habit of knocking on your neighbors' doors all the time to vent your stupid and irrelevant opinions about what they wear, how they should cut their lawns, how you don't think their trees are trimmed properly for your tastes, how they shouldn't be eating all those charcoal-prepared, carcinogenic-loaded BB-Q'd foods etc., etc.

Boxcar
P.S. And here's something else to stuff in your hash pipe: I could care less what third rate countries think about the U.S. Let them accomplish half of what we have, then I might begin to think they have some credibility that would justify me expending my valuable time listening to them.

good rant. very good.

bobbyb
05-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Boxcar

I can't believe your referring to Canada as a "third rate country"

Brave men and women sacrificed their lives from both countries for decades and you have the audacity to call our neighbors to the North "third rate".

You are foolish at times Mr Boxcar

bobby

Show Me the Wire
05-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I don't get it either, (see that NJ Stinks, you didn't have to wait too long) why Canadian citizens are so interested in U.S. internal politics.

46zilzal
05-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Just heard an interesting tidbit. This Justice wanted to retire some time ago, but did not want it to happen under the ideologue who would have harmed the balance of the court for years to come, the brain dead Bush, so he waited until now so he would have some say in his successor.

Show Me the Wire
05-04-2009, 05:01 PM
What audacity! Do you think the bumpkin's penchant for audacity will allow snouter :) to have any say in his replacement?

Tom
05-05-2009, 07:45 AM
What will Souter do all day after he retires?
Sit around all day in his robe and be judgmental?
Why retire?????:D

(Jay Leno)

hcap
05-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Sit around all day in his robe and be judgmental?Sounds like some really, really fit posters here. Except they eat cheetos and listen to Rush :D

boxcar
05-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I can't believe your referring to Canada as a "third rate country"

Brave men and women sacrificed their lives from both countries for decades and you have the audacity to call our neighbors to the North "third rate".

You are foolish at times Mr Boxcar

bobby

When anyone from any country comes to our "house" and insults us by spouting off their insipid, irrelevant opinions on U.S. politics, they are behaving as though they were from some jealous, third-rate country. Are you, sir, in the habit of going to your neighbors' homes and insulting them in their own homes? If not, why do you do it on this forum? Methinks it's you who are the foolish one because you haven't thought this through very well.

Boxcar

Bubba X
05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
When anyone from any country comes to our "house" and insults us by spouting off their insipid, irrelevant opinions on U.S. politics, they are behaving as though they were from some jealous, third-rate country. Are you, sir, in the habit of going to your neighbors' homes and insulting them in their own homes? If not, why do you do it on this forum? Methinks it's you who are the foolish one because you haven't thought this through very well.

Boxcar
You tell 'em.

Sort of like you and your comments on other religions, ME politics and Muslims, eh?

What do those Canadians know? Stanley Cup time and the Canucks can't even hold home ice advantage.

Tom
05-05-2009, 10:38 AM
What do those Canadians know?

Beer and bacon.
That's more than enough.

boxcar
05-05-2009, 02:24 PM
You tell 'em.

Sort of like you and your comments on other religions, ME politics and Muslims, eh?

What do those Canadians know? Stanley Cup time and the Canucks can't even hold home ice advantage.

No resemblance at all. I don't go into other churches or to their websites and stick my nose into their business. Nor do I go on Muslim sites to insult them or offer my opinions ot criticisms about their religion. But when foreigners come here to a U.S.-based website and criticize our political beliefs, then that's analogous to me going into someone's home for the purpose of insulting the occupants. I know you must have a really tough time, BubBub, sorting this out in your dark attic. But try hard to grope around for that light switch for once in your life, will you?

Boxcar
P.S. And if your bulb is burnt out, let me know. I'll be happy to send you one of those planet-saving, energy-efficient, mercury-filled cutsie curly ones.

Bubba X
05-05-2009, 02:31 PM
No resemblance at all. I don't go into other churches or to their websites and stick my nose into their business. Nor do I go on Muslim sites to insult them or offer my opinions ot criticisms about their religion. But when foreigners come here to a U.S.-based website and criticize our political beliefs, then that's analogous to me going into someone's home for the purpose of insulting the occupants. I know you must have a really tough time, BubBub, sorting this out in your dark attic. But try hard to grope around for that light switch for once in your life, will you?

Boxcar
P.S. And if your bulb is burnt out, let me know. I'll be happy to send you one of those planet-saving, energy-efficient, mercury-filled cutsie curly ones.

Glad to hear all this. You're good with tossing out disdain for Arabs because this is "a U.S.-based website," as opposed to what you might term a "Muslim based site?"

That clears that all up.

boxcar
05-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Glad to hear all this. You're good with tossing out disdain for Arabs because this is "a U.S.-based website," as opposed to what you might term a "Muslim based site?"

That clears that all up.

Glad you found that bulb. Yes, it's fine to criticize or insult here, but it's highly impolite (to say the least) to go on someone else's turf do it.

You did me proud, BubBub. My faith in you is nearly restored. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Bubba X
05-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Glad you found that bulb. Yes, it's fine to criticize or insult here, but it's highly impolite (to say the least) to go on someone else's turf do it.

You did me proud, BubBub. My faith in you is nearly restored. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

That or, more likely in your case, it's just part of being an internet blowhard.

boxcar
05-05-2009, 03:05 PM
That or, more likely in your case, it's just part of being an internet blowhard.

Good thing I said "nearly restored". :lol: :lol:

Boxcar