PDA

View Full Version : Stute Blows Out Papa Clem

JustRalph
04-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Old School?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50530/oh-papa-papa-clem-in-34-blowout

I love the differences in some of these trainers............

Odds on anybody going out tomorrow morning?

Oh Papa!!!

In an "old school" move, trainer Gary Stute sent out his Papa Clem for a three-furlong blowout at Churchill Downs two days before the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). Under jockey Rafael Bejarano, the son of Smart Strike threw down a :34 clocking, and was caught "galloping out" in :46 1/5 by Stute.

“I had 33 and four,” Stute said back at Barn 10A of the bold move. “It was exactly what I wanted. What I wanted was a real good quarter and a gallop out in three eighths and that’s what we got.”

Stute said he got the Bo Hirsch’s homebred colt’s first quarter in :21 3/5.

“I wanted to let him roll,” Stute said. “The last few works he was kind of goofing around and I wanted him to concentrate down the lane, so that’s why I broke him off at the quarter pole because I wanted him to be focused down the lane. I think I accomplished that.”

onefast99
04-30-2009, 09:04 PM
He is known for that type of work. Good to see someone let one of their horses run during the works.

rastajenk
04-30-2009, 09:30 PM
I like the Clemster. Good chance for Raffie B to start piling up Derby wins; he will get several, it seems to me.

Cratos
05-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Old School?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50530/oh-papa-papa-clem-in-34-blowout

I love the differences in some of these trainers............

Odds on anybody going out tomorrow morning?

Oh Papa!!!

In an "old school" move, trainer Gary Stute sent out his Papa Clem for a three-furlong blowout at Churchill Downs two days before the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). Under jockey Rafael Bejarano, the son of Smart Strike threw down a :34 clocking, and was caught "galloping out" in :46 1/5 by Stute.

“I had 33 and four,” Stute said back at Barn 10A of the bold move. “It was exactly what I wanted. What I wanted was a real good quarter and a gallop out in three eighths and that’s what we got.”

Stute said he got the Bo Hirsch’s homebred colt’s first quarter in :21 3/5.

“I wanted to let him roll,” Stute said. “The last few works he was kind of goofing around and I wanted him to concentrate down the lane, so that’s why I broke him off at the quarter pole because I wanted him to be focused down the lane. I think I accomplished that.”

In another thread I picked Dunkirk and said Papa Clem would keep the front end honest. I will add to that by saying box Dunkirk and Papa Clem in the exacta. Also Papa Clem would be my longshot to win.

Off to Churchill for my 31st Derby.

Run Nicholas Run
05-01-2009, 12:18 AM
I like the Clemster. Good chance for Raffie B to start piling up Derby wins; he will get several, it seems to me.

bejarano is a talented rider BUT Ramon will have more(3)
within the next ten years.

kenwoodallpromos
05-01-2009, 03:04 AM
Was the workout for the horse or the owner?