PDA

View Full Version : A little tidbit about Chocolate Candy.

Imriledup
04-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Choc Candy is by Candy Ride out of the dam Crownette. Crownette had a foal about 10 years ago named Crowning Storm, he was by Storm Cat.

On Oct 1st, 1998, Crowning Storm won a race at Santa Anita by 10 lengths breaking his maiden. In that race, he crushed Charismatic. This was a grand looking horse and when he won this race, people were really thinking Derby. I'm not sure what happened to Crowning Storm, maybe injuries derailed him, but i'll tell you, he was a grand looking horse with untapped potential.

The dam crownette is closely related to Affirmed, so there's some real triple crown class in this family.

The sire Candy Ride was also a grand looking horse who might have been one of the best horses to ever win the Pacific Classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s0WSoKhlHA

Market Mover
04-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Crowning Storm ended up being a useful sire and they sent him off to Argentina for further stud duty.

Chocolate Candy's dam has a very interesting pedigree. Her grandmother is Won't Tell You, the sire of Affirmed. Her maternal grandfather is Alydar. So they basically said, "Alydar, since you couldn't beat Affirmed all your life, we're going to take you to $*%* his mother."

Alydar and Won't Tell Your produced In Memory, who they took to Seattle Slew to complete the Triple Crown coronation.

Crownette is the product of Triple Crown inbreeding gone wrong, so to speak.

In Candy Ride, you've got the Fappiano and Blushing Groom blood.

If there is one horse bred for the TC races, it's Chocolate Candy. Now whether he's ready or not at this juncture to step up and win it all is another thing..but he won't be short on pedigree...

strapper
04-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Chocolate Candy does have an intriguing pedigree. I like the fact he goes back to Affirmed's dam. Affirmed was probably my favorite horse of all time. I was on the Secretariat bandwagon and Big Red was the more explosive horse that captured the public's imagination, but Affirmed is still my ideal racehorse.