PDA

View Full Version : D. Wayne Lukas on synthetic surfaces

Spendabuck85
04-30-2009, 03:40 PM
From Paul Moran blog:

When questioned about his opinion on synthetic surfaces, Lukas said that the new surfaces such as Keeneland’s Polytrack don’t just pose problems to those horses who don’t run their best over it.

“I’m not a synthetic person. I think it’s caused a nightmare for the bettors. The very lifeblood of our industry is the gambling public, and I think they’ve been put at such a disadvantage trying to sort this thing out,” Lukas said. “I think it’ll run its course, and maybe in a couple years, they’ll dig them all up and get back to natural dirt.

“They have that Gamblers Anonymous for people who have that bad gambling habit. Polytrack will take care of that. They won’t need to worry about that anymore. People will quit gambling.”

http://paulmoranattheraces.blogspot.com/

andymays
04-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Absolutely!

46zilzal
04-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Another time I agree with D. Wayne. That makes three times all told.

toussaud
04-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Another time I agree with D. Wayne. That makes three times all told.
what where the other 2?

tribecaagent
04-30-2009, 05:36 PM
I get a kick out of Wayne and he's at his best in front of a microphone. One thing I thought about was Larry Jones keeps getting attention because of his stellar record in the Derby. What about Wayne? He said earlier in the week "this isn't my first barbecue." Classic Wayne. Bravo.

Flying Private will be 50-1 and I certainly will use him.

Onion Monster
04-30-2009, 05:36 PM
I think poly has a future more as fake turf than fake dirt. I would like to see some of the mid-level tracks with sparse turf courses look into putting poly in its place while leaving the dirt track alone. I have no idea about the feasibility of such a project, though.

46zilzal
04-30-2009, 05:38 PM
what where the other 2?
HE TWICE mentioned that he chooses the individual over the theoretical in breeding. I agreed both times.

Bruddah
04-30-2009, 06:17 PM
From Paul Moran blog:

When questioned about his opinion on synthetic surfaces, Lukas said that the new surfaces such as Keeneland’s Polytrack don’t just pose problems to those horses who don’t run their best over it.

“I’m not a synthetic person. I think it’s caused a nightmare for the bettors. The very lifeblood of our industry is the gambling public, and I think they’ve been put at such a disadvantage trying to sort this thing out,” Lukas said. “I think it’ll run its course, and maybe in a couple years, they’ll dig them all up and get back to natural dirt.

“They have that Gamblers Anonymous for people who have that bad gambling habit. Polytrack will take care of that. They won’t need to worry about that anymore. People will quit gambling.”

http://paulmoranattheraces.blogspot.com/

I always liked D Wayne. His statements show he knows and understands Horse Racing from the important side of the equation. (The Horsemen and Bettors) The other side, the Administrators ( usually Blue Bloods) do not have a clue.

toussaud
04-30-2009, 06:20 PM
dangit lukas you are making it hard for me to hate you :mad:

Imriledup
04-30-2009, 06:46 PM
I love the coach!

Here's the thing. Lets compare the biggest bettor in the country to the biggest owner in the country. If the biggest owner stops owning and sells off all his horses, someone will take his place. Someone else will own his dispersed horses. He'll leave the game and no one will really notice from a financial perspective. Owners contribute nothing financially to the game in the sense that one owner is exactly the same as the other. If the richest guy in the world sells one horse to the poorest guy in the world, that horse still has the same exact effect on the game. Its one more horse in the entry box.

But, if the biggest bettor in the game stops betting, he can't be replaced overnight. Or ever.

When the synthetic nazi's mandated synthetic tracks, no one asked the bettors if they wanted change. The biggest bettors in the USA are the most winningest bettors (by definition) and no one asked them if they wanted their successful business tinkered with. No one asked them, they just went ahead and did it.

joanied
05-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Good ol' D Wayne...I wish more trainers would step up and speak up on the fake stuff... besides the handicapping side of it....has it really prooved safer for the horses? I don't think so.

Spendabuck85
05-01-2009, 03:19 PM
From the Andy Beyer DRF Chat transcript:

Andrew_Beyer: I'd hate to see any further conversions to synthetic tracks, at Churchill Downs or anywhere else. The safety arguments in their favor were a little bit skewed, in my opinion. Tracks were installing new, state-of-the-art $10 million racing surfaces and comparing them with dirt strips that had been around for 50 years. There are plenty of dirt tracks with excellent safety records--Saratoga, for example.

46zilzal
05-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Not only are the qualitatively different, but within Polytrack there are three separate types, then cushion and Tapeta