PDA

View Full Version : Any QH fans here?

Coop @ Delta
04-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey guys....sports editor of a newspaper in Texas plus do some writing for Bloodhorse & do some trackside reporting on the Delta Downs simulacast.

Used to read now I've stepped up and registered...Any QH bettors here?

BombsAway Bob
04-30-2009, 07:43 PM
I'vs been playing Los Al for the past 3 years, via TVG... Good Times!

Track Collector
04-30-2009, 08:00 PM
I do not specifically seek out QH races, however, many fairs, especially the smaller ones, have a mixture of TB and QH races on their race cards. I have learned to accept and play them so as to have some "action". There is not as much drama and no tactical riding due to the short distances, so I definately "prefer" the thoroughbreds. Handicapping wise my results are ok, so at least the QH races do not cause me to go broke. :)

Mineshaft
04-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey guys....sports editor of a newspaper in Texas plus do some writing for Bloodhorse & do some trackside reporting on the Delta Downs simulacast.

Dont bet QH's at Delta for one reason. Pools are too small. The QH people will go out in droves to watch it at Delta but they dont bet. Never have and never will. They far outnumber the T'bred people but the T'bred people bet and the pools are nice.

I can bet $100 to win on a horse at Delta for the QH and the odds will be 10/1 and when i bet you knock it down to 2/1. For some reason they dont bet.

They dont bet at Delta, they dont bet at EVD, and they dont bet at LaD. Go figure...

ranchwest
04-30-2009, 11:16 PM

Coop! Hey, man!

I used to play the QH's a lot, but not much any more. Mostly physicality plays when I see an ugly favorite between the TB races.

Wickel
04-30-2009, 11:34 PM
I love the shortliners. Been playing them all my wagering life in New Mexico, and I follow the Texas and Louisiana circuits and, of course, Los Al. Where in Texas are you a sports editor?

Run Nicholas Run
05-01-2009, 12:06 AM
sure do like the quarters, especially the inside speed
when those 870 around the elbow are carded at
Yavapai downs. :)

Overlay
05-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Maybe I ought to look into quarter horses more. I never really have because I always figured from a wagering standpoint that too many purely random things could happen in a race that short, which would toss the most careful handicapping out the window. The smallest mistake or bad break would get magnified in importance, with no opportunity to recover.

Run Nicholas Run
05-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Maybe I ought to look into quarter horses more. I never really have because I always figured from a wagering standpoint that too many purely random things could happen in a race that short, which would toss the most careful handicapping out the window. The smallest mistake or bad break would get magnified in importance, with no opportunity to recover.

in certain spots the "qtrs" are very profitable.
I like when there is a race with 9 or 10 horses(max at yavapai)
I toss the favorite and look at the next 3 or 4 on the ml and check the
odds , if I have an overlay its a play , usally check at 5 mins to post.
Also but this may only be a YAVAPAI angle there are t-bred riders
that ride the "qtrs' but then there are only the "qtrs" jocks.
And knowing the under the radar qtrs only riders is a plus,
i.e. ELIAS Gutierrez, CW MARQUEZ, Eloy Mendez and Donnie French.

ranchwest
05-01-2009, 12:45 AM

They're surprisingly formful. If you're good with class, physicality and wagering, you should do alright.

dav4463
05-01-2009, 03:56 PM
When I play quarter horses, I have had some success looking for a fast breaking horse with a lot of 1's, 2's, and 3's in his last six or so races that is sandwiched between two consistently slow breaking horses. The fast starter has a good shot of not getting in trouble early and can run his race. Also, fast breaking horses on the outside or inside when the horse next to them is a slow starter is the same thing. Outside or inside is also good when the other fast starters in the middle of the field are right next to each other. If they bump together, the outside or inside horse can run away with it. In 870 yard races...just box the three inside posts!