PDA

View Full Version : Obama press conference

dav4463
04-29-2009, 08:53 PM
I never heard a guy ramble so much. He gets a question. He rambles on and on and never answers a question. You wait for him to say something and all you get is.......uh.....um......uh.....I think that...uh...well......uh.....uh ......you can't ........uh......um ......litigate.......uh ......um........we......uh.......uh......um...

and they talk about Bush not speaking well !!!!!

Show Me the Wire
04-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Listening to it too. Very painful. Long pauses, too many ums, ahhs, etc. This is what passes for good communication skills. :bang:

DJofSD
04-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Ya but according to another poster in a different thread, he's got a great smile that should make up for all of the verbal nonfluencies.

Whereas George Bush tripped over himself while speaking, he likely did so because his mouth could not keep up with his brain. With BO, it's the other way 'round.

Warren Henry
04-29-2009, 09:06 PM
I have long suspected that press conferences were planned in advance. This one made it too obvious. He already knew who he was going to call on even though he did not always know where they were seated in the room. This makes me believe that he also knew what the question would be. I don't for a minute think that he hadn't prepared his answers in advance. That being the case, why so many um,uh,etc. :confused:

Show Me the Wire
04-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Enjoyed (sarcasm) his answer why he released sensitive information regardinge the torture issue. His lame excuse, he took office the same week legal pleadings were due. His staff didn't have enough time to respond.

How can anyone defend this bumpkin and his administration as not being clueless? What the heck was his transition team doing? Also. I guess his bright legal mind couldn't fathom the idea of asking for an extension either.

The bumpkin strikes again.

Show Me the Wire
04-29-2009, 09:21 PM
After listening to this press conference, I know the definition of torture, especially the tortured use of English. And, umm eh ah and I am um eh finished.

boxcar
04-29-2009, 10:51 PM
I never heard a guy ramble so much. He gets a question. He rambles on and on and never answers a question. You wait for him to say something and all you get is.......uh.....um......uh.....I think that...uh...well......uh.....uh ......you can't ........uh......um ......litigate.......uh ......um........we......uh.......uh......um...

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. Unreal. This guy has a real problem putting together sentences without the aid of a teleprompter. It's very understandable why his college records are being kept under tight wraps.

Boxcar

mostpost
04-30-2009, 12:18 AM
This is all such nonsense. There were indeed some uh's and um's, but in my opinion that is merely a nervous habit. The characterization by dav 4463 is way off base. Instead of 100 uhs for every three words, it was more like 100's of word for every uh or um. And many times the uh or um was so brief you wouldn't notice it if you were not listening for it. Also many other politicians do the same thing when answering questions. I listened to Sen. Spector's conference again on CSPAN.org and he said uh 11 times in less than a minute. Of course that is probably because he is now a Democrat. I'm sure he spoke perfectly when he was a Republican :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mostpost
04-30-2009, 12:21 AM

Obama's answers are longer because he understands the complexities of the issues so much better than Bush did.

mostpost
04-30-2009, 12:24 AM
From DJOFSD

Whereas George Bush tripped over himself while speaking, he likely did so because his mouth could not keep up with his brain. With BO, it's the other way 'round.

mostpost
04-30-2009, 12:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. Unreal. This guy has a real problem putting together sentences without the aid of a teleprompter. It's very understandable why his college records are being kept under tight wraps.

Boxcar

Here is the answer from WIKI Answers concerning Obama's college grades
[Edit]
Barack Obama has not released transcripts for his grades from Occidental College, Columbia University and Harvard Law. He has also not released his SAT and LSAT scores. No explanation has been offered for not releasing them.
Per the Wall Street Journal September 11, 2008, "Obama's Lost Years," Obama graduated from Columbia University (to which he transferred after his first two years at Occidental College in California), with a degree in Political Science without honors, so had a GPA less than a 3.3. His roomate Sohale Siddiqi indicated Obama itially felt alienated, felt "very lost," and used drugs to get high, which could have led to low grades initially. The roomate indicates that he then turned serious and "stopped getting high." Obama transferred to Columbia because he was concerned with urban issues. Based on his overall undergraduate GPA of less than a 3.3, Mr. Obama's admission to Harvard Law School may reflect affirmative action statutes, low grades early, then higher grades later (purely speculation) and/or other factors.

At Harvard Law School, Obama graduated Magna Cum Laude, which, according to the Havard Law School website, is awarded to the top 10% of Harvard Law School students.

Also at Harvard Law School, Obama was accepted as one of 85-90 Editors of the Harvard Law Review, out of an estimated 1,000 students from the 2L and 3L classes that might have sought this honor. Obama was also elected President of the Law Review, which according to a Harvard Law spokesperson is not based at all on academics, but on other measures as would occure in any club.

First answer by ID1148177569. Last edit by Circulator4u. Contributor trust: 0 [recommend contributor]. Question popularity: 26 [recommend question]

He graduated from Columbia without honors which meant he had a GPA under 3.3 (i assume that's out of a base 4) At Harvard Law he graduated Magna Cum Laude (in the top 10 %) It sounds to me like he found himself a little late in life, as some do, and his inate intelligence kicked in.
Let me ask this; how many of youwouldwant to be judged on the person you were at 20?

Floyd
04-30-2009, 12:38 AM
I was wondering which of the myriad grave issues facing our nation this board would pounce on Obama for this evening. Would it be the economy? The auto companies? Nope. The issue the extreme right wing is concerned about is...wait for it...How many times Obama says "Uhm."
Keep it up, fellas! You'll beat your party down to 10% in no time!

DJofSD
04-30-2009, 01:00 AM
Hey, Floyd, did we offend your hero?

dav4463
04-30-2009, 03:21 AM
I just know if Bush rambled on and on like Obama did, many of you guys would be all over it.....talking about how stupid he is......but I guess Obama gets a pass like he does in just about everything he does.

Tom
04-30-2009, 07:37 AM
They, uh, um, they, they uh, they can uh, um, dish it out, uh, but, uh, um, uh, they can't, uh,can't, um, take it.:lol:

Rutabaga

uh,

um

Obama

exactaplayer
04-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Nothing here from the right. No substance, just trivial comments.

DRIVEWAY
04-30-2009, 07:45 AM
The CEO of Goverment Motors reintroduces the RAMBLER!!
:sleeping:

Tom
04-30-2009, 07:49 AM

One party rule.
It was his conference, not ours.
WE just get to sit back and uh, um, watch the uh, uh, um, the fool uh, dance. :D

(This is getting to be too much fun.......and we just got started!)

ArlJim78
04-30-2009, 07:54 AM
i don't have the stomach to actually watch his pressers, i have a low tolerance for bs. but on the tv this morning someone played a clip of a question from the New York Times. Something like "what has enchanted you most in these first 100 days". wow, start off with the hard-hitting stuff eh? this is a question you'd expect on Oprah or Barbara Walters.

how ridiculous to watch this president in training wheels getting slobbered on by the press.

boxcar
04-30-2009, 10:26 AM
This is all such nonsense. There were indeed some uh's and um's, but in my opinion that is merely a nervous habit.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You have it backwards. It was more likely hundreds of "ums" and "uhs" for every word. I heard his press conference, too. Dave is on the mark.

Yeah, he's nervous alright, and he should be. He knows he's way, way over his head when he walks out there to face the press without his teleprompter crutch. I don't know what he'd do if he ever had to face a real press corps that asked tough questions.

Boxcar

cj's dad
04-30-2009, 10:31 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: You have it backwards. It was more likely hundreds of "ums" and "uhs" for every word. I heard his press conference, too. Dave is on the mark.

Yeah, he's nervous alright, and he should be. He knows he's way, way over his head when he walks out there to face the press without his teleprompter crutch. I don't know what he'd do if he ever had to face a real press corps that asked tough questions.

Boxcar

The first elected senator since JFK and it shows- doesn't know how to think on his feet - a real um uh um uh, nincompoop !! and totally unprepared for this position. Oh well, only 3 years, 9 months unless he's impeached before then.

delayjf
04-30-2009, 12:11 PM
That "enchanted" question was a real hum dinger. :lol: :lol:

Perhaps at the next press conference maybe we can discuss his favorite color. :bang:

Show Me the Wire
04-30-2009, 12:24 PM

How can anyone from the left or the right talk about substance, when the press conference itself lacked substance.

What substance can we discuss? My transition team did not prepare for my administration properly and that is why we released sensitive memos?

Or how about Abortion is a moral issue and the people who argue that privacy rights prevail over moral issues are disingenius? What the heck does that mean?

We had to listen to an unceasing chorus of uhs, ehs, and other illterate utterances to try and decipher that his administration is clueless and that he stands for everything and nothing at the same time.

Tom
04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Obama and the press were feeding off of each other's ignorance.

Notice FOX never got called to ask a question? Wassup, Barry, too CHICKEN to call on a real reporter?

Bwaaaaacccccck Bwaaaaaccckkkk!

......or is that mental illness kicking in again? :D

Show Me the Wire
04-30-2009, 02:27 PM
During the President's talk, I actually felt a tingle down my leg, uh I mean um you know, um a trickle because I laughed so hard at what now qualifies for genius, at a presidential press conference, I loss control of my bladder . That is the only substance I got out of the event.

Bubba X
04-30-2009, 02:31 PM
During the President's talk, I actually felt a tingle down my leg, uh I mean um you know, um a trickle because I laughed so hard at what now qualifies for genius, at a presidential press conference, I loss control of my bladder . That is the only substance I got out of the event.
My neighbor's dog does the same thing when he gets excited.

46zilzal
04-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Why does bladder control and the loss of it, NOT SURPRISE me from this source?,

Show Me the Wire
04-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Why does bladder control and the loss of it, NOT SURPRISE me from this source?,

PA,

Zilly is stalking me again. Another personal attack. You of all people should understand hard laughter can cause loss of bladder control. Possibly, I have a medical condition that creates a weak bladder. You choose to mock my medical condition.

I demand an apology now, you insensitive boorish person.

cj's dad
04-30-2009, 02:51 PM
his administration is clueless and that he stands for everything and nothing at the same time.

Maybe BO was a Seinfeld fan - that's it the "administration about nothing" :lol:

Tom
04-30-2009, 03:38 PM
You mean Obama is the Master of his Domain??
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
MY, that is refreshing!

Maybe he will make Festivus a national holiday.
:lol:

JustRalph
04-30-2009, 03:51 PM
That "enchanted" question was a real hum dinger. :lol: :lol:

Perhaps at the next press conference maybe we can discuss his favorite color. :bang:

I heard this on the radio this morn? Enchanted? Next time they may ask which of the 7 Dwarfs was he most like.......?

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2009, 06:22 PM
PA,

Zilly is stalking me again. Another personal attack. You of all people should understand hard laughter can cause loss of bladder control. Possibly, I have a medical condition that creates a weak bladder. You choose to mock my medical condition.

I demand an apology now, you insensitive boorish person.46 assured me he would be spending most of his time in the horse section...oh well...

Show Me the Wire
04-30-2009, 08:02 PM
46 assured me he would be spending most of his time in the horse section...oh well...

You really didn't believe that representation, did you?

DJofSD
04-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Maybe BO was a Seinfeld fan - that's it the "administration about nothing" :lol:To quote a tag line from a beer commercial, "Brillant!"

I have got to remember that from now on, this is the Seinfeld administration.

Tom
04-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I can see it now......

Tom
04-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Hellooo, Jerry.
Helloooo, Obama.

Tom
04-30-2009, 11:41 PM
I have got to remember that from now on, this is the Seinfeld administration.

Right on!

hcap
05-01-2009, 03:25 AM
I just know if Bush rambled on and on like Obama did, many of you guys would be all over it.....talking about how stupid he is......but I guess Obama gets a pass like he does in just about everything he does.Did somebody say stupid?

http://www.slate.com/id/76886/

"I didn't grow up in the ocean—as a matter of fact—near the ocean—I grew up in the desert. Therefore, it was a pleasant contrast to see the ocean. And I particularly like it when I'm fishing."—Washington, D.C., Sept. 26, 2008

"The public education system in America is one of the most important foundations of our democracy. After all, it is where children from all over America learn to be responsible citizens, and learn to have the skills necessary to take advantage of our fantastic opportunistic society."—Santa Clara, Calif., May 1, 2002

"This is my maiden voyage. My first speech since I was the president of the United States and I couldn't think of a better place to give it than Calgary, Canada."—As reported by the Associated Press, Calgary, Canada, March 17, 2009

"I'm going to put people in my place, so when the history of this administration is written at least there's an authoritarian voice saying exactly what happened."—On what he hopes to accomplish with his memoir, as reported by the Associated Press, Calgary, Canada, March 17, 2009

"I guess it's OK to call the secretary of education here 'buddy.' That means friend."—Philadelphia, Jan. 8, 2009

"I'm telling you there's an enemy that would like to attack America, Americans, again. There just is. That's the reality of the world. And I wish him all the very best."—Washington, D.C., Jan. 12, 2009

"I've been in the Bible every day since I've been the president."—Washington, D.C., Nov. 12, 2008

"This thaw—took a while to thaw, it's going to take a while to unthaw."—Alexandria, La., Oct. 20, 2008

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2009, 03:36 AM
If Obama is fortunate enough to get eight years in the White House as Bush did (yup, Mr. Idiot got himself elected TWICE...pretty good for a rutabaga), there will be plenty of dumb-ass comments to pour over, except this time, nobody in the media will be LOOKING for them, as they were with Bush.

They will be there though...just as they were with the "57 states" comment and all the other stupid shit he said through the campaign. The fact that the mass media ignores such things now does not make them any less real then when Bush was at the helm.

hcap
05-01-2009, 03:44 AM
Obama isms will never be in the same league as Bush isms.

The gift that keeps on giving.