PDA

View Full Version : Pletcher enters his rabbit

menifee
04-29-2009, 01:00 AM
It looks Join in the Dance is joining the race. This horse only has one way of going. He needs the lead. DeCarlo is riding him. My guess is that Pletcher thinks with Quality Road out, the race lacks speed and will set up well for IWR, FF and PON. He needs a hot pace for Dunkirk to run into so he enters a rabbit. Good for Dunkirk, don't know about Join in the Dance...

Burls
04-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Don't you think Regal Ransom will be the pace horse?

andymays
04-29-2009, 06:25 AM
I think that IWR sits close!

slewis
04-29-2009, 07:38 AM
It looks Join in the Dance is joining the race. This horse only has one way of going. He needs the lead. DeCarlo is riding him. My guess is that Pletcher thinks with Quality Road out, the race lacks speed and will set up well for IWR, FF and PON. He needs a hot pace for Dunkirk to run into so he enters a rabbit. Good for Dunkirk, don't know about Join in the Dance...

Hey Menifee...let me ask you a question:

Do you think Join in the dance is a cheap claimer????? Or is he a nice allowance horse that can win some smaller stakes and might improve as he matures and earn a significant amount of money?

What makes you think any trainer can tell an owner something to the effect of "I really need a fast pace for Dunkirk, and with QR hurt Im not going to get it, so fork up $50K and do me a solid and I'll enter you're horse as the sacrificial lamb for Dunkirk"

Unbelievable.

Thomas Roulston
04-29-2009, 07:53 AM
If nothing else, this scenario points up just how ridiculous the "no-coupled-entries-under-any-circumstances" rule is (which Kentucky observes conveniently only in races with an added or guaranteed purse of $1 million or more).

Tom
04-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Or how about this scenario: Hey, I can get you in on the action for 50K , and you probably have the lead for a while!

1st time lasix
04-29-2009, 09:06 AM
All star Orlando magic forward Rasheed Lewis is an owner of the new entry {along with Pletcher}

sally
04-29-2009, 10:00 AM
then the question is how bad does Pletcher want to win the derby?

BeatTheChalk
04-29-2009, 10:14 AM
then the question is how bad does Pletcher want to win the derby?

Isn't he on a losing streak of historic proportions ( the Derby) ? :bang: :rolleyes:

joanied
04-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Isn't he on a losing streak of historic proportions ( the Derby) ? :bang: :rolleyes:

IMO...it stays that way...rabbit or no rabbit...Pletcher goes winless in the Derby again!! (sorry Todd:) )

46zilzal
04-29-2009, 03:35 PM
I think that IWR sits close!
if he does, it will be his undoing, a late horse through and through

Wickel
04-29-2009, 05:29 PM
If no one wants the lead, rest assured that Bejarano and Papa Clem will be in front. That could be a very dangerous turn of events.

cj
04-29-2009, 05:32 PM
if he does, it will be his undoing, a late horse through and through

Wouldn't that depend on the pace? You have been telling us for years a late horse can win on the front, as this one already has. Why the sudden concern with position?

sally
04-29-2009, 05:36 PM
If no one wants the lead, rest assured that Bejarano and Papa Clem will be in front. That could be a very dangerous turn of events.

I like this idea because of the Pletcher curse-- his rabbit will fade and PC hangs on--

great price...

menifee
04-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Hey Menifee...let me ask you a question:

Do you think Join in the dance is a cheap claimer????? Or is he a nice allowance horse that can win some smaller stakes and might improve as he matures and earn a significant amount of money?

What makes you think any trainer can tell an owner something to the effect of "I really need a fast pace for Dunkirk, and with QR hurt Im not going to get it, so fork up $50K and do me a solid and I'll enter you're horse as the sacrificial lamb for Dunkirk"

Unbelievable.

It is believable.

Join in the Dance is a nice allowance horse. Pletcher says to the owner - you have a nice horse who loves the lead. There is not a lot of speed in the Kentucky Derby and he has the graded earnings so he is eligible. He might be able to get on the front end and get brave. He got to the front end in his last race and finished a respectable 4th. Pletcher could also remind them of Da' Tara who is a nice allowance horse who got brave on the lead and won the Belmont. He probably tells them that it is unlikely that the horse could win, but once the gate opens you never know what could happen.

If I'm a small time owner, it would probably be the thrill of my life to see a horse of mine enter the Derby even if on paper he has no shot. The race will always fill because it is the greatest race in the country.

Btw, Pletcher scratched his rabbit in the Florida and I think he regrets it now.

Charlie D
04-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Don't you think Regal Ransom will be the pace horse?

Not sure if he meant RR was going to lead Burls, but Godolphin Racing manager Simon Crisford did say he'll be ridden prominent this afternoon

LemonSoupKid
04-29-2009, 06:46 PM

I love Bejarano and the name Papa Clem, but the only way he gets this distance and stays on top is if the 1/4 goes in :50

LSK

LemonSoupKid
04-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Ha, obviously I meant the 1/2, but it's funny that the hyperbole leads to my point, anyway

LSK

slewis
04-29-2009, 07:22 PM
It is believable.

Join in the Dance is a nice allowance horse. Pletcher says to the owner - you have a nice horse who loves the lead. There is not a lot of speed in the Kentucky Derby and he has the graded earnings so he is eligible. He might be able to get on the front end and get brave. He got to the front end in his last race and finished a respectable 4th. Pletcher could also remind them of Da' Tara who is a nice allowance horse who got brave on the lead and won the Belmont. He probably tells them that it is unlikely that the horse could win, but once the gate opens you never know what could happen.

If I'm a small time owner, it would probably be the thrill of my life to see a horse of mine enter the Derby even if on paper he has no shot. The race will always fill because it is the greatest race in the country.

Btw, Pletcher scratched his rabbit in the Florida and I think he regrets it now.

Quite a back pedal from your thread post.... but we'll let it slide.

big frank
04-29-2009, 10:04 PM
ATOMIC RAIN - Will be on the lead early

foregoforever
04-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Pletcher's out to extend his streak of having the last-place horse to 4 years. (Would be 5 had not Bandini been upset and finished 19th in 2005.)

toussaud
04-29-2009, 11:11 PM
i dont' know, pletcher's streak is in jeopardy this year. I don't think any of his horses stink THAT bad.

I have a hard time looking past mine that bird for the last place spot. he has all the credintals.. he's slow, he doesn't want to go far and I don't think he particually cares for dirt.

But now with the emergence of nowhere to hide, I think he has some stiff compitition. Nowhere to hide is coming to play ball for that last spot. and his 1 for 8 record shows he means business. he didnt' just start suckiing, he's not a trend sucker like alot of these horses.. he's been sucking for a longer time than alot of these hores has been racing, so maybe he shows them how it's done. took him 5 months to break his maiden and even then he had to go to calder to do it.

And I wouldn't sleep on west side bernie either. they are running a horse tht coliced a week ago, it shows they are serious about this as well.

Sadly enough I don't think pletcher will continue his streak

Market Mover
04-30-2009, 02:08 AM
Didn't Papa Clem's dam Miss Houdini win a few stakes out west before getting hurt? Always had thought that one had great potential, and seem to remember Gary Stevens riding that one...

We all know Smart Strikes can get the distance (if you played Curlin at a mile and a quarter...) but how bout that damside. Damsire Belong to Me?

The more I watch his slop prep and see him holding off Terrain through the length of the stretch, the more I feel this horse could actually make it to the last 100 yards hitting the lead...

Then again they said Carson City couldn't be the damsire of a Derby winner...