PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Park CANCELS Thursday Card ...Lack of Entries..+ Only 59 on Wed.*

Turfday
04-28-2009, 03:49 PM
nm

andymays
04-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Sad story. This was easy to see coming after listening to the CHRB meeting last Friday.

The leadership in California worked hard for this over the past 5 years and now their hard work is bearing fruit. Too bad the fruit is poisonous!

sonnyp
04-28-2009, 04:35 PM
when beauracrats and politicians write the rules and laws for something they know nothing about, this is the end result. it's happening in this case and it's happening in washington.

macguy
04-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Golden Gate has not been looking any better. They have been sending out a steady parade of 5 horse fields.

Look at the May 1st card- (Before Scratches)

1st Race 5 horses
2nd Race 5 horses
3rd Race 6 horses
4th Race 6 horses
5th Race 7 horses
6th Race 7 horses
7th Race 5 horses
8th Race 6 horses

California is in trouble. :eek:

rwwupl
04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
California racing needs new leadership.In fact USA racing needs new leadership. :blush:

Where are all the horses and horsemen that the synthetics were supposed to attract?

DJofSD
04-28-2009, 04:55 PM
How can the trainers justify their day rates now?

andymays
04-28-2009, 04:59 PM
This is the beginning of a full blown breakdown of racing in California.

Speed Figure
04-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Hollywood should really be smart and race Friday, Saturday and Sunday!

InsideThePylons-MW
04-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I wonder if the season box seat holders will get a refund for the missed day?

GaryG
04-28-2009, 06:59 PM
They only have 60 entered in the 8 races on Wed and 1 of them is an AE in the last race.

Relwob Owner
04-28-2009, 07:20 PM
nm

Wow.....absolutely pathetic. For so long, my life has revolved around watching TVG and Hollywood in the late afternoon/early evening(live on the East Coast)....last year, I started not caring as much and now, there isnt much to care about anyways. It will be interesting to see how California's demise will impact TVG...

MickJ26
04-28-2009, 07:35 PM
This may sound like a naive question, but....why?
Are there too many racetracks? Too many races?

maxwell
04-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Considering that SoCal has the only Pick Six worth talking about, perhaps they should slim down to six races per card and race Fri. Sat. Sun. and holiday Mondays?

Huge fields, millions of $ in the big pool, no more crappy maiden claimers. Is this not the "Perfect Storm" for La La Land?

If you're reading this, please do not pinch me! :sleeping:

BELMONT 6-6-09
04-28-2009, 08:05 PM
This is just the beginning...until this racing game identifies a "central', a commissioner, so to speak where the rules are the uniform in matters most important to the horsemen(women),the horses well being and the bettors nothing will change.

kenwoodallpromos
04-28-2009, 08:49 PM
# of races are way down nationwide steadily over 2 decades; IMO the problem too much inbreeding, too much early speed breeding, too many drugs, too many main track rock-based races and works, too many trainers pushing horses beyond their limit, not enough non-injury layoffs for legs to recover- same problems prior to fake dirt, IMO almost all within the last 20 years.

JustRalph
04-28-2009, 09:05 PM

check the date on this thread

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17963&highlight=Horse+shortage

InsideThePylons-MW
04-28-2009, 09:40 PM

4/24 Hol 6th race $8Kclm purse $11,000 14 horses

20% of purse towards jocks/trainers/grooms so basically racing for $8800

$3000 a month for day money/vet/other misc expenses x 14 = $42,000

$2500 for raceday expenses...shoes/raceday meds/etc

The expenses above are conservative and don't account for major problems or more than a months worth of expenses in between races.

So basically you have at least $45,000 just in expenses being invested to race for a purse of $8800. This does not even factor in acquisition costs of the actual horse.

Imriledup
04-28-2009, 09:57 PM
4/24 Hol 6th race $8Kclm purse $11,000 14 horses

20% of purse towards jocks/trainers/grooms so basically racing for $8800

$3000 a month for day money/vet/other misc expenses x 14 = $42,000

$2500 for raceday expenses...shoes/raceday meds/etc

The expenses above are conservative and don't account for major problems or more than a months worth of expenses in between races.

So basically you have at least $45,000 just in expenses being invested to race for a purse of $8800. This does not even factor in acquisition costs of the actual horse.

Trainers are charging too much money, their rates are too much to overcome, owners can't turn a profit.

andymays
04-28-2009, 10:12 PM
In California today "everything" is the problem!

bushwick
04-28-2009, 10:20 PM
2500 for race day expenses? Does that include 2000 to win on the creature? Maybe your other figures are close but, I cant imagine 2500 to run the animal.

InsideThePylons-MW
04-28-2009, 10:30 PM
2500 for race day expenses? Does that include 2000 to win on the creature? Maybe your other figures are close but, I cant imagine 2500 to run the animal.

14 shoeings = at least $1500

14 some form of lasix/bute/shipping/pony horse/other misc = at least $1000

Like I said $2500 for raceday expenses is ultra conservative.

InsideThePylons-MW
04-28-2009, 10:32 PM

I didn't take $2500 and multiply it by 14.

I said it was $2500 for the field. Some would laugh I'm way too low. Nobody would say I'm high.

Track Collector
04-28-2009, 11:30 PM
CA tracks also are known to demand and charge at the upper limits of signal fees due to the "popularity" of CA racing. Therefore, not much left with ADW's to rebate to customers.

With such small field sizes coupled with unpredictable synthetic surfaces, I can not imagine very many folks making a long-term profit at the major CA tracks. Unless CA finds a way to turn it around, CA racing (except for Dmr) is slowly becoming second class. Just because a state has very nice weather and a high population density does not entitle one to disrespect the customers and not offer a good product. Why play 5-6 horse fields IF one has access to play tracks like EvD, Pen, CT, Mnr, Ind, etc. where the field sizes are significantly larger?

BombsAway Bob
04-29-2009, 01:03 AM
one tracks' misfortune is another tracks' gain...
weather is the only thing standing in the way of
ATLANTIC CITY RACE COURSE having it's
best handle day in recent memory...6 races, 3:30pm/et post

Thomas Roulston
04-29-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm sure the actions of people in the state legislature who know little if anything about horse racing - e.g. Fiona Ma - are contributing to this problem.

She's the most ignorant person to comment about horse racing since Bernard Rome - if you remember who he was, and some of the totally ridicuolous things he said.

DJofSD
04-29-2009, 09:57 AM
If you believe in free markets (and I do) then you are right.

The CHRB and the CA state officals have failed to adequately addressing the issue.

bdownes
04-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Workman's comp in California is very very high. I don't know the exact figure but it is a significant expense.

toussaud
04-29-2009, 12:13 PM
it's been a long standing dream of mine to live in del mar and live on the ocean and be able to go to the horse track year round to watch world class racing.

CHRB is ruining my damn dream

MickJ26
04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Seems to me, based on the picture you're painting, citing the high costs of owning a racehorse in California, that owners are quick to abandon horses that don't at least meet expenses. It seems like almost every race at a track like EVD is a 5k claimer with a 12 horse field. Louisiana doesn't seem to have any horse shortages.
I know they race four times a week instead of five.

InsideThePylons-MW
04-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Seems to me, based on the picture you're painting, citing the high costs of owning a racehorse in California, that owners are quick to abandon horses that don't at least meet expenses. It seems like almost every race at a track like EVD is a 5k claimer with a 12 horse field. Louisiana doesn't seem to have any horse shortages.

EVD 5K clm purses....LA bred $15K open $10K

Purses higher......expenses much lower.....lots of trainer-owners and they have their own farms etc. there.

Thomas Roulston
04-30-2009, 05:02 AM
Remember the days when in no case could the claiming price of a race be less than the value of the purse to the winner?

so.cal.fan
04-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Sonny P posts:
"when beauracrats and politicians write the rules and laws for something they know nothing about, this is the end result. it's happening in this case and it's happening in washington".

I have to agree with you.
I think Hollywood Park will work this out, but there are some serious problems.
High cost of owning and racing horses in Calif.
The synthetic track problem
The near depression economy
We have a Gov. and a State Legislature who do not favor racing.
California is being overdeveloped by the Building Industries Association, the California Realtor Associations and the pro development Democratic Party.
Only thing keeping the horse farms going right now is that they can't sell off property to developers, because of the depression in real estate and the difficulty in builders getting loans.
That's the only thing keeping Hollywood Park open. They can't afford to develop it.

Relwob Owner
04-30-2009, 09:40 PM
nm

TVG signed a deal today where they can start taking bets on Arlington, Calder and Churchill, stream it live but I dont believe it will be on the network....I think they see the California storm clouds coming.....

Relwob Owner
04-30-2009, 09:47 PM
it's been a long standing dream of mine to live in del mar and live on the ocean and be able to go to the horse track year round to watch world class racing.

CHRB is ruining my damn dream

Your dream was to live in Del Mar and go to the track year round? If I am not mistaken, it is about an hour and a half plus from the Del Mar area to Hollywood and Santa Anita each so in the other 10 plus months Del Mar isnt running, you would spend three hours round trip going to the other tracks? That is some dedication......

toussaud
04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Your dream was to live in Del Mar and go to the track year round? If I am not mistaken, it is about an hour and a half plus from the Del Mar area to Hollywood and Santa Anita each so in the other 10 plus months Del Mar isnt running, you would spend three hours round trip going to the other tracks? That is some dedication......
yep. I lived in newport beach for a while and I am well aware of my way around the socal area. nevertheless it looks like I will have to alter my dreams :(

sonnyp
04-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Sonny P posts:
"when beauracrats and politicians write the rules and laws for something they know nothing about, this is the end result. it's happening in this case and it's happening in washington".

I have to agree with you.
I think Hollywood Park will work this out, but there are some serious problems.
High cost of owning and racing horses in Calif.
The synthetic track problem
The near depression economy
We have a Gov. and a State Legislature who do not favor racing.
California is being overdeveloped by the Building Industries Association, the California Realtor Associations and the pro development Democratic Party.
Only thing keeping the horse farms going right now is that they can't sell off property to developers, because of the depression in real estate and the difficulty in builders getting loans.
That's the only thing keeping Hollywood Park open. They can't afford to develop it.

"no man, woman or child is safe. congress is in session." mark twain.

heard something yesterday i found very interesting. the indians (sorry, native americans) will eventually buy the tracks in california for cents on the dollar, get slots under some entitled legislation, purses will go up from slot revenue and the new owners will operate successfully.

i guess anything is possible with a politician in place to enhance his position.

so.cal.fan
04-30-2009, 10:16 PM
You could be right Sonny.
The San Manuels are big sponsers of Santa Anita and they will be one of the bidders for the place when it goes on the auction block July 24th.
Very possible.

DJofSD
04-30-2009, 10:19 PM
DMR live from the end of July to the beginning of September. The rest of the year, there's the Surfside OTB located just a short distance from the first turn on the other side of the barns and the outdoor arena.

dave the horseman
04-30-2009, 11:51 PM

On track handle from 3300 patrons 121K

Total Handle 6 races -- $800k

Not bad for a track with no tote board, no stables, no paddock odds boards, and the Girl Scouts and Marching band selling concessions that's only open 6 days a year.

All that with no pick 3 wagering, and only a super on the last race.

Probably, ironically, not what Greenwood racing wanted to see, it makes the track look too viable and they most likely will be forced to run 20 days next year because it was proven that there is a simulcast market for the product.
Shows you that you can get action for FULL FIELDS, are you watching So-Cal?

Bring on 20 days, I'll take it. Something for me to do in AC other than blackjack! :jump: