PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or this years Derby?

fmhealth
04-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Probably me. But, after 50 years in the game I find that this years rendition of the "Run for the Roses" lacks any star quality whatsoever. I find that I'm not interested in the news nor the horses.

Perhaps after all these years, I've finally lost the enthusiasm I used to have. Poly tracks, proliferation of drugs, arrogant trainers, odds changing during the race, management w/o a clue. General disrespect for the players. While I still go to TUP 1-2x a week. More to see new friends & spend some time in the sun then really take an active interest in betting.

I'll be heading for CRC for the Derby with some S.FL friends. Will not place a bet. I doubt they'll miss my $20.00. Best of luck with your selections.

cj's dad
04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
IMO there are very few times when there is a star going "into" the derby with the exception of the likes of Secretariat, Affirmed, and Big Brown. Typically the star status is created after the race is over and then continues on if the same horse wins the Preakness.
E
xamples of this - Smarty Jones, Real Quiet, Charismatic, Silver Charm etc.

I do however agree with your basic premise - i.e. "something is missing", then again it's probably just me. Hopefully, after the PP draw, I'll start to get geared up.

Probably me. But, after 50 years in the game I find that this years rendition of the "Run for the Roses" lacks any star quality whatsoever. I find that I'm not interested in the news nor the horses.

Perhaps after all these years, I've finally lost the enthusiasm I used to have. Poly tracks, proliferation of drugs, arrogant trainers, odds changing during the race, management w/o a clue. General disrespect for the players. While I still go to TUP 1-2x a week. More to see new friends & spend some time in the sun then really take an active interest in betting.

I'll be heading for CRC for the Derby with some S.FL friends. Will not place a bet. I doubt they'll miss my $20.00. Best of luck with your selections.

GaryG
04-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Wait until they play My Old Kentucky Home. Maybe you will look at it differently. Good luck from another grizzled(?) veteran. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Shelby
04-28-2009, 12:44 PM
In some ways, I think this year is exciting in a different way. I kind of like it that there is no "clear" winner. :ThmbUp:

joanied
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
:ThmbUp: Right, cj'sdad... it's not really that often when we have a 'star' going in to the Derby... most hope the best horse wins it, then he becomes the 'star' in the 2 weeks leading up to the Preakness...
shelby... I agree, it's kinda more fun wondering who out next star is gonna be:jump:

46zilzal
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Different surfaces DIFFERENT parts of the WORLD.

Without the commonalities of comparative handicapping it makes for much confusion

Bettowin
04-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Can't really have a confirmed star until they all run against each other. I consider IWR, POTN and FF to be stars in their own regions. The winner of this race of course becomes the National star until he loses:)

MickJ26
04-28-2009, 04:22 PM
The Arabs bought up some of the top two year old stars (Vineyard Haven, Midshipman, Desert Party, Regal Ransom, etc.) and shipped them off to Dubai. It's great for the owners and breeders of these horses, but, not so good for the fans. It's not like the old days where you'd follow the winner of the Champagne or the BC Juvenile through their Derby preps and have anticipation building for the Derby.

badcompany
04-28-2009, 05:57 PM
I find it interesting from a spectator standpoint, but, I won't be making a big bet on it. Too many unknowns.

cj's dad
04-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Money won or lost on the undercard or at other tracks on Derby day spends or not spends just as well. The KD is way, way too much hype for me.

joanied
04-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Wait until they play My Old Kentucky Home. Maybe you will look at it differently. Good luck from another grizzled(?) veteran. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Spot on, Gary G :ThmbUp: ....I've seen, hmmmmm...45 Derbies now (:eek: )...and it's always wonderful...some more than others, but hell...this IS the Kentucky Derby...and regardless of having a huge 'star' or not going in...like Gary said...as soon as they start My Old Kentucky Home...it's tears, goosebumps, nerves, smiles, laughter, anticipation, and just plain ol'---:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: fun:jump:

Go baby go:)

NYPlayer
04-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Well, after 50 years of Derby's, I guess my enthusiasm would be dulled a bit.

I can't honestly say that I share your sentiment, though. This year may not feature any superstar, but the challenge and reward of picking the winner remains the strongest allure for me. This is my 14th.

I hope you enjoy watching at least.

Watcher
04-28-2009, 07:13 PM
This Derby is extremely interesting because no one knows what the hell is going to happen. I'm quite disappointed in the injuries taking out some top contenders, but that's life.

cnollfan
04-28-2009, 07:36 PM
I am excited about this year's Derby. Was not into last year's for some reason (I thought Big Brown was a screaming bet-against but didn't like any of the other horses so I think I ended up playing 12 horses to win ... not my best afternoon. I did have Clint Bowyer though!)

Have not made up my mind but current leanings are Friesan Fire, Dunkirk, Desert Party.

BELMONT 6-6-09
04-28-2009, 08:08 PM
In some ways, I think this year is exciting in a different way. I kind of like it that there is no "clear" winner. :ThmbUp:

I agree with you 100%...wide open event let 'em run and the race will be the usual spectacle, as they say the best two minutes in sports.

kenwoodallpromos
04-28-2009, 09:14 PM
I see no undefeateds in the PP's, MM and POTN have best records? Maybe that is why no big push for one horse.