PDA

View Full Version : IWR Workout Today

SmartyLane
04-28-2009, 10:51 AM
From BloodHorse:

"""""Wood Memorial (gr. I) winner I Want Revenge zipped along the Churchill Downs main track April 28 as he worked a half-mile in a bullet :47 1/5 in preparation for the May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). The time was the fastest among 49 horses working that distance.

With jockey Joe Talamo aboard, the son of Stephen Got Even sped through quick fractions of :11 2/5, :23 1/5, and :35 2/5, while galloping out five-eighths of a mile in 1:00 4/5.""""""

What is everybodys take on this workout? Looks like he is ready to roll to me, but someone compared him to Pyro of last year. I can see that angle, but in all 8 races of his life he has won or placed, that is a stat that is hard to discount.

andymays
04-28-2009, 10:57 AM
In my opinion (I bet him in the futures) this Colt is loaded for a huge performance. I think they worked him like this to get him on edge and they probably want him sitting 3rd or 4th early.

I should be getting an update from Bruno DeJulio (clocker/handicapper) who is with the connections at Churchill Downs. I will post it when I get it!

LemonSoupKid
04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Gentlemen,

We have a betting favorite. The son of Stephen Got Even and winner of the Wood Memorial will be the 2009 Kentucky Derby Favorite. Book it.

SmartyJ
04-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Gentlemen,

We have a betting favorite. The son of Stephen Got Even and winner of the Wood Memorial will be the 2009 Kentucky Derby Favorite. Book it.

I think we need to see the post positions first. But, I agree, as long as he is not down towards the fence or way, way outside, IWR will be the favorite.

joanied
04-28-2009, 01:16 PM
In my opinion (I bet him in the futures) this Colt is loaded for a huge performance. I think they worked him like this to get him on edge and they probably want him sitting 3rd or 4th early.

I should be getting an update from Bruno DeJulio (clocker/handicapper) who is with the connections at Churchill Downs. I will post it when I get it!

That'd be great, andymays...
everyone was in an uproar about FF's bullet...yet, I see no one wondering if IWR's bullet was too fast:confused:

andymays
04-28-2009, 02:10 PM
everyone was in an uproar about FF's bullet...yet, I see no one wondering if IWR's bullet was too fast:confused:

From Bruno DeJulio www.racingwithbruno.com

I Want Revenge 4/28
The track was very good early, but as the morning went on it got deeper as the wind popped up. It started to rain before the colt came out, but not enough to make a difference. In contrast to the day before there was no water added. Added his blinkers this morning as a green light for the colt to get a good work in. Went nicely in 12 flat from the 1/2 mile pole with Talamo on board and finished in 35.4, and 47.3 on our watch finishing the last furlong in 11.4. Pricked his left ear up as if waiting for Talamo to give him further instructions, and then went on his own in 101.2 and 116 and change. All systems go. <b>

lamboguy
04-28-2009, 03:05 PM
his work looked great to me.

philofbelloni
04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Jeremy Plonk wrote yesterday that despite FF's strong showing he was huffing and puffing in the gallop-out with his "head down and looking tired."

Saratoga_Mike
04-28-2009, 07:19 PM

What price did you get in the future pool?

andymays
04-28-2009, 07:21 PM
What price did you get in the future pool?

I didn't play him in pool 1. So I put $200 at 10-1 in pool 2. Also bet a $20 box with Dunkirk which I think pays $160 or $180 for $2!

Everything has been going his way up to the race!

joanied
04-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Jeremy Plonk wrote yesterday that despite FF's strong showing he was huffing and puffing in the gallop-out with his "head down and looking tired."

I just watched the clockers video report...:faint: I don't think FF was supposed to go that fast...and I guess he did get tired...but, I still have faith in him and Larry J...if nothing else, I'm sure FF will show up on Staurday and run his heart out...every report I get from 'Pursuit of the Crown' on HRTV, says he looks incredible...
and I am still being torn between FF & Pioneer to win:bang:

sally
04-28-2009, 09:30 PM
I just watched the clockers video report...:faint: I don't think FF was supposed to go that fast...and I guess he did get tired...but, I still have faith in him and Larry J...if nothing else, I'm sure FF will show up on Staurday and run his heart out...every report I get from 'Pursuit of the Crown' on HRTV, says he looks incredible...
and I am still being torn between FF & Pioneer to win:bang:

but not I Want Revenge??

joanied
04-28-2009, 09:41 PM
but not I Want Revenge??

No...not really, Sally...I think a ton about him...talented horse for sure...everything with him is going perfectly, and if I used my head more than my heart...he'd be one of my top three...it's been discussed here several times that his connections are a turn off...some of us just can't root for him...not sure I can explain how I feel about IWR...maybe the best way is to say I just LOVE FF & Pioneer...I also like Choc. Candy and Hold me Back is looking good...man, the top 6 or 7 colts could all hit the wire together for all we know...this is just a really tough Derby to bet on...so, maybe I'm glad there is no place to bet out here in wild Wyoming... God, I miss being at the track!!!
:)

sally
04-28-2009, 09:48 PM
ahhh... I see Joanied... I understand...

this will be a fun Kentucky Derby this year--

46zilzal
04-28-2009, 11:13 PM
but not I Want Revenge??
Every race he has, energy distribution wise, "come from the clouds" and of late, only Street Sense has moved anything like that. The track is littered with others having the same style: Sweetnorthernsaint, Pyro, Domican, even Afleet Alex had that very late style, Steppenwolfer and others.

Plus there is the added problem of all that dead wood ahead of you, not choosing the best part of the track, AND the "best guess' (just Ask Laffit about Rumbo) of when to let him go.......ALL Working against your getting there on time.

Those very late movers get there but it is usually (Eight Belles not withstanding as she was on a major improve) right about the time the field PASSES the line.

WinterTriangle
04-29-2009, 12:42 AM

Larry Jones: "We're fine (after this work); he wasn't blowing at all when he came back."

You know, I have to believe Larry here. I know some of you say oh, all the trainers say stuff like that. But Larry Jones is not known for BSing. Most everyone says that. Yes, they say stuff like "We were happy with the work." But Jones specifically notes that FF was not blowing hard afterward.

Now, why would Jones make a fool of himself, saying FF wasn't blowing, if he thought the entire world would see FF blowing? :confused:

Sorry, but I don't buy Plonk on this one. Maybe I should, but i'm not.

andymays
04-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Talamo interview on front page of NTRA.

http://www.ntra.com/

joanied
04-29-2009, 11:50 AM
ahhh... I see Joanied... I understand...

this will be a fun Kentucky Derby this year--

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :jump: :jump: I can't wait!!!!

joanied
04-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Larry Jones: "We're fine (after this work); he wasn't blowing at all when he came back."

You know, I have to believe Larry here. I know some of you say oh, all the trainers say stuff like that. But Larry Jones is not known for BSing. Most everyone says that. Yes, they say stuff like "We were happy with the work." But Jones specifically notes that FF was not blowing hard afterward.

Now, why would Jones make a fool of himself, saying FF wasn't blowing, if he thought the entire world would see FF blowing? :confused:

Sorry, but I don't buy Plonk on this one. Maybe I should, but i'm not.

Ditto:ThmbUp:

badcompany
04-29-2009, 01:33 PM
My problem with this horse is that he has a habit of finding traffic trouble. In the stretch, he's always, "looking for a hole." That doesn't bode well in a huge Derby field.

ezgoerbaby79
04-29-2009, 01:37 PM
I cannot get behind this horse, and it's not even because of the connections, because while I HATED BB's connections last year, I couldn't deny he was a fantastic horse and likely Derby winner. Something about IWR just doesn't do it for me...I'm not sure what.

joanied
04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
My problem with this horse is that he has a habit of finding traffic trouble. In the stretch, he's always, "looking for a hole." That doesn't bode well in a huge Derby field.

IWR isn't one of my picks...I respect the colt and all he's done...I think he's a legit race horse that is going to win his fair share of big races... but, as far as his always "looking for a hole"...I think the blame for that would be Talamo...he's puttin' the colt in these spots:)