PDA

View Full Version : Question for Game Theory

Pace Cap'n
04-25-2003, 10:20 AM
GT

As one who downloaded your chart parser with no recompense, let me explain.

I have absolutely no knowledge of databases. Never used one and wouldn't know where to start. My limited computer expertise is limited to downloading and running simple programs, or whatever can be done with a few mouse clicks.

My question is: What would be the best way to learn how to set up and use a database? I see the ads for the Video Professor, and have considered Vo-tech. Any suggestion you or others on this board have would be much appreciated.

TIA
Steve

GameTheory
04-25-2003, 11:43 PM
First, decide what you'd like to accomplish. If you're just thinking, "Database. Yes. That sounds good." then I would say don't waste your time with the charts parser or any kind of do-it-yourself solution. Spend a few bucks on a good program like Equisim or HSH or one of the others that has database capabilities. [Note: I've never used any of them.] Chances are it will do everything you like and then some. Then if after using such a program for a good while you decide that you'd really like it to do X that can only be accomplished with a custom solution, then maybe you might want to invest in the considerable learning curve involved in setting up & maintaining a database yourself.

MS Access is certainly the most commonly used database for Windows, and therefore has the most resources available in terms of books & tutorials devoted to learning it, etc. I don't use Access myself, but there are plenty of people that do for horse racing databases.

JustRalph
04-26-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by GameTheory
I don't use Access myself, but there are plenty of people that do for horse racing databases.

If you are going to go thru the trouble of learning to build a database and learn some software, Access may be a good idea for other reasons. If you can use it in your job or in other area's of your life, then learn it. Same applies for other apps. But Access may come in handy somewhere else too. Think outside of racing if you are going to invest the time, choose wisely. Personally I don't use Access very much and only know the basics. But I have seen it used in many different ways and it is very powerful. But there are better apps out there, but they cost big bucks. If you have a job where they already use something like Goldmine or something else that might fit racing and you already know it, contact the program rep for your company and ask if you can have a copy for personal use. Sometimes they won't mind a bit and it may even be built into the license. Just a suggestion for those who may have jobs where they use some database tools.

Pace Cap'n
04-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Thanks, guys, for taking the time to reply with some good insights. Given the extent of my knowledge database, getting a good program seems the way to go.

Thanks again,
Steve