PDA

View Full Version : HP laptop black screen

sally
04-27-2009, 05:11 PM
I have an HP laptop presario with an AMD processor-- my automatic updates downloaded Security Pack 3 and now when I turn on my computer the lights come on but the screen stays BLACK. No logos no nothing. My lights blink every few seconds like the hard drive is "cycling" but nothing happens. I tried to use my recovery discs but that makes no difference-- just a black screen with my lights blinking...

I've heard there's a problem with SP3 and these laptops but how can I delete SP3 if I can't boot the computer? I'm afraid somethings fried since my recovery discs won't work... any suggestions?

JustRalph
04-27-2009, 08:07 PM
try starting in safe mode

or booting from something else........windows disk?

if you're not seeing anything on the screen......after pulling the battery, doing a total reset........ make sure you don't have it set to output the video to an external monitor

usually means using a function key combo to reset it back to the original screen

Look for icons on your upper keys, holding the function key down while hitting the appropriate number key or "F" key should do it. Do it slow.....it switches back and forth slowly........wait several seconds .........

HUSKER55
04-27-2009, 09:16 PM
LONGSHOT IDEA, try engaging your task manager. If the program is working but the screen is blank you should still get something, I think.

just a wild guess.

098poi
04-27-2009, 09:24 PM
When you say the lights are flashing that could be the hard drive but if they are flashing in a continuous sequence that could mean a memory or video problem. Unplug the laptop, remove battery as suggested, hold power button down for 10 seconds. If you can remove a door on the bottom where the memory usually is then take out the memory and reseat it. Then put the battery back in and the power and try again. Good luck.

gillenr
04-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Try shining a flashlight at the screen - if you can make out stuff on desktop, you probably have a bad screen or backlight.

sally
04-27-2009, 11:05 PM
for all the responses-- Ralph you were right!! If you were here I'd kiss you! I have my computer back!! :jump:

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :kiss:

Speed Figure
04-27-2009, 11:38 PM
for all the responses-- Ralph you were right!! If you were here I'd kiss you! I have my computer back!! :jump:

LUCKY RALPH!!

JustRalph
04-28-2009, 04:36 PM

Cherish the small victories over technology......... :lol:

I assume the video was being outputted to external devices?

You're welcome............ :ThmbUp: