PDA

View Full Version : "THOROUGHBRED" on Animal Planet

tigers1901
04-04-2001, 10:27 AM
Sorry this is late but wanted to inform the board that
there is a new cable TV program that debuted yesterday
on the ANIMAL PLANET channel.It will be a half hour show each Monday at 8:00 PM EST.

"THOROUGHBRED" is the story of Bonita Farm in Maryland.Bill Boniface and his 3 sons run the entire operation (Racing,Breeding).Believe they said that they
had 150 horses on the farm.

The first week's episode centered on the 4 entries they had for the "Maryland Million"day's races.

They also had footage and coverage of their best horse
to date,DEPUTED TESTIMONY.1983 TC race winner.

Will try to see if there is a rerun scheduled.Next week's
show centers on the preparation for a yearling sale.

Mark your calendars and check it out. 8PM Mondays.

Observer
04-04-2001, 03:20 PM
I thought last night's show was pretty interesting, but wanted to see more than just a half-hour. Guess I'm just greedy! But afterall, they did spend nearly every day of a 1 1/2 year period taping for the series. I'm looking forward to the next episode. I have heard they will show the episodes again on Saturdays, I think at 7:00 p.m. Definitely check you local listings on this!!

Tom
04-04-2001, 09:42 PM
That show on Animal Planet was excellent-especially why the horse ran poorly in the stretch. I wonder how many times this happens everyday and is never reported?
Someone posted that other professional sports have injury lists, but not racing (maybe another board?).
This would explain a lot of "form reversals."
This type of thing is essential to the handicapper and unfortunatley not easily obtained.
Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Tom

Dave Schwartz
04-04-2001, 11:09 PM
Tom,

I missed the show. Could you elaborate on the "stretch" comment you made?

Observer
04-05-2001, 03:44 PM
Dave,

The well-regarded Christmas Shoes failed to make a serious threat in the lane of her race on Maryland Million Day. On the turn for home, she appeared to take an awkward step, switching leads coming out of the turn but before actually hitting the stretch.

Boniface watched a replay carefully and found that a horse had clipped her from behind, grabbing and tearing open her quarter. That was the reason for her flipping leads before she should have, and helped to explain the reason for her coming up flat in the lane.

They closed the story on Christmas Shoes by showing her frollicking in a paddock and saying she is on the mend ... stay tuned to find out how her story continues...
:)

tigers1901
04-10-2001, 10:58 AM
Looks like this show gets out the gate on Tuesday this
week.Schedule lists 8:00 and 11:00 PM EST.