PDA

View Full Version : Friesan Fire Blazes!

tribecaagent
04-27-2009, 09:07 AM
5 eighths in 57.80.....

todko
04-27-2009, 09:11 AM
It's about time we saw a quick workout. The workouts this year have been uniformly slow. Larry Jones has this one ready to rock.

W2G
04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm thinking FF is the "now" horse. He's going to get hammered in the pools. Most seem more than willing to forgive the historical trends he is up against. Clear second choice?

OTM Al
04-27-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm thinking FF is the "now" horse. He's going to get hammered in the pools. Most seem more than willing to forgive the historical trends he is up against. Clear second choice?

He's a definite underneath horse for me. Don't think he's fast enough to win, but plenty fast enough to get a piece. I think most horses in the field can run 5f that quickly. Just wonder the advisability of it at this point. If Jones ordered such a work, then I certainly defer to his expertise however.

DRIVEWAY
04-27-2009, 10:00 AM
5 eighths in 57.80.....

Galloped out in an exhausted 114.0. How many Derby winners worked 57.80 five days before the race?

Chocolate Candy worked in 59.20 and galloped out in 112.80. Now that's a professional work.

tribecaagent
04-27-2009, 10:11 AM
I wasn't aware of the gallop out time. I was aware of Jones putting the blinkers on for this work. If you go back, this horse breezed 58 1/5 five days prior to the LA Derby.

Wiley
04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Jones did the same with Hard Spun 57.5 5F six days out, know then he said he wanted to take some edge off that colt after the long time between races, worked pretty good then. Wonder if he'll be sent also? The gallop out is concerning though. Any video? Don't have it on the Derby site.

joanied
04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Geeze...that was some work...I hope they have it on the works at HRTV...
maybe it was the added blinkers that woke FF up...Jones said he hasn't been 'focused'...I doubt Larry wanted him to go that fast...guess we'll have to wait for his comments to come out before we judge this work...

driveway...we're you there? Did you see him gallop out a tired horse?

W2G
04-27-2009, 10:18 AM
He's a definite underneath horse for me. Don't think he's fast enough to win, but plenty fast enough to get a piece. I think most horses in the field can run 5f that quickly. Just wonder the advisability of it at this point. If Jones ordered such a work, then I certainly defer to his expertise however.

Agreed. I plan to use him only defensively at this point. Others with similar or better potential offer more value.

joanied
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50453/friesan-fire-sizzles-in-final-pre-derby-work?id=50453&source=rss

Above is the link to the story on this work...seems they are very pleased with it, and Saez had no idea he'd gone that fast.
If they are happy with the horse...then I am too, and I ain't gonna worry about it...this horse is as fit as any of them...off his 7 weeks rest.
:)

DRIVEWAY
04-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Haskin's Derby Report on the home page may shed additional light on Friesan's slow gallop out time.

Tom
04-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Lots of horse have run fast 5s in the Derby and no one remembers many of them. It's the last 5 that count.

philcski
04-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Galloped out in an exhausted 114.0. How many Derby winners worked 57.80 five days before the race?

Chocolate Candy worked in 59.20 and galloped out in 112.80. Now that's a professional work.

Smarty Jones

joanied
04-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Haskin's Derby Report on the home page may shed additional light on Friesan's slow gallop out time.

Thanks, driveway...that entire haskin Report was excellent...and man, oh, man...reading why FF galloped out so slow was a huge relief:faint: for me...and I like it that he's curious about the tents and everything that's been set up there...a curious horse that sees everything, yet remains calm & collected is, IMO, and very smart horse. I also liked that he went that fast on a loose rein...he was doing what he wanted and showed no effort in doing it...
I feel much better now:jump:

PS...I can't say much about Rachel A's work in this thread...but holy s**t:eek:

Will Power
04-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Here is a total list of horses (Since 2004) that have worked a second faster than 12 seconds per furlong, between Sunday and the Derby.

2008 Eight Belles 58.2 @CD Larry Jones Trainer 2nd in Derby
2008 Colonel John 57.8 @CD ran sixth in Derby

2007 Hard Spun 57.6 @CD Larry Jones Trainer 2nd in Derby

2006 Barbaro 46 @CD Won Derby

2005 No qualifiers

2004 Smarty Jones 58 @CD Won Derby (This work was on prior Saturday.)

Seems to be a pretty strong Impact Value to me.

WinterTriangle
04-27-2009, 11:34 PM
I feel much better now:jump:

I dunno Joanied.

About 98% of everyone on this board, including you, make better observations than Haskins does.

As a matter of fact, a 14 year old kid who stands by the fences on his bicycle, watching workouts might be able to nail it better than Haskins. :confused:

DRIVEWAY
04-28-2009, 12:13 PM
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid11892237001?bctid=21208801001

Third time the charm?

joanied
04-28-2009, 01:31 PM
I dunno Joanied.

About 98% of everyone on this board, including you, make better observations than Haskins does.

As a matter of fact, a 14 year old kid who stands by the fences on his bicycle, watching workouts might be able to nail it better than Haskins. :confused:

:D Well, Haskins does try...but ya know, ya gotta read all the reports, all the opinions, listen to all the experts...then form your own opinions and picks...or hire a 14 year old to do the work for ya;) ...
but, concerning FF's bullet and slow gallop out...I did read in several places that FF has been fasinated with the tents, so I guess it he wants to slow down and get a good look...that's OK...he's already got the foundation to get the distance...so I am not concerned with that gallop out...when I first heard about it, it scared me, I thought maybe something was wrong...but, nothin' wrong with a curious horse!!

Driveway...thanks for posting that interview video:ThmbUp:

lamboguy
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
why would any trainer change equipment the week of the bigest race of the horse's career? why does the horse need a 3/4 blinker to focus that he never had on?

in the gallop out FRIESEN didn't look to great either, looked like he was favoring his left side.

i love larry jones and his horse and was going to bet on him, now i will have to find something else.

i am sitting 1200 miles away from churchill downs, the clockers didn't see what i saw. but that is what makes a horse race.

joanied
04-28-2009, 03:14 PM
why would any trainer change equipment the week of the bigest race of the horse's career? why does the horse need a 3/4 blinker to focus that he never had on?

in the gallop out FRIESEN didn't look to great either, looked like he was favoring his left side.

i love larry jones and his horse and was going to bet on him, now i will have to find something else.

i am sitting 1200 miles away from churchill downs, the clockers didn't see what i saw. but that is what makes a horse race.

Jones said the blinkers are to keep him focused because he's been so interested in the tents... will FF be wearing the blinkers in the Derby...or are tyey just for his morning trips to the track?

Favoring his left side...I didn't see that, might have to take a look at the video of that work...
but, if he was off, you can bet Larry knows it and wouldn't run if there was even a tiny problem.

andymays
04-28-2009, 03:18 PM
from Bruno DeJulio www.racingwithbruno.com

Friesan Fire 4/27
Worked in strong manner going in 33.4 for the first three eights and then struggled late in 24 flat. Finished in 57.4, fast time, but seemed spent. Again, the track seemed odd as there was some wind drying the track out. Galloped out meekly. Was not impressed.

joanied
04-28-2009, 03:31 PM
from Bruno DeJulio www.racingwithbruno.com (http://www.racingwithbruno.com/)

Friesan Fire 4/27
Worked in strong manner going in 33.4 for the first three eights and then struggled late in 24 flat. Finished in 57.4, fast time, but seemed spent. Again, the track seemed odd as there was some wind drying the track out. Galloped out meekly. Was not impressed.

Man, I can't find the above anywhere within the 4/27 notes...I'm sure it's there...but, that's OK...I think Bruno is the only person that has said "not impressed'...

lamboguy
04-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Man, I can't find the above anywhere within the 4/27 notes...I'm sure it's there...but, that's OK...I think Bruno is the only person that has said "not impressed'...

i wasn't impressed either, i didn't get that from a clocker. i know he has done the same thing for the last few years and his horses performed lights out. this one just looked awful to me. hardspun was a monster, the phillies were monsters, this one don't smell right or look right and i hope larry wins and i am wrong.

miesque
04-28-2009, 03:45 PM
i wasn't impressed either, i didn't get that from a clocker. i know he has done the same thing for the last few years and his horses performed lights out. this one just looked awful to me. hardspun was a monster, the phillies were monsters, this one don't smell right or look right and i hope larry wins and i am wrong.

I agree with your sentiments and I watched that work like ten times on DVR last night and his left side caught my attention coming down the lane late as well and he also shut down pretty fast. I have not seen him work before so I don't have something to compare it to, but I didn't like it.

I feel compelled to add that I have noticed that the works coverage on HRTV so far on Pursuit of the Crown has been done without any serious criticism leveled at any of the works in question and that is one area they could improve upon.

Sundown
04-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Is there a video of the workout available somewhere online?

andymays
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I agree with your sentiments and I watched that work like ten times on DVR last night and his left side caught my attention coming down the lane late as well and he also shut down pretty fast. I have not seen him work before so I don't have something to compare it to, but I didn't like it.

I feel compelled to add that I have noticed that the works coverage on HRTV so far on Pursuit of the Crown has been done without any serious criticism leveled at any of the works in question and that is one area they could improve upon.

It would be nice to have an independent channel where commentators could speak their minds!

ezgoerbaby79
04-28-2009, 04:45 PM
I have yet to see the work, but I like the time...he needed a fast work with the 7 weeks off.

lamboguy
04-28-2009, 04:50 PM
let me tell you something, if the economy didn't get the kentucky derby, the flue will. how many people do you think are rushing to get on a plane on their way to louisville to watch a horse race that they can watch on tv and not expose themselves to a possible killer flue on an airplane?

i am a big larry jones fan, and there are lots of others that are bigger than me. he is going to take a leave of absense at the end of this year. he might enter this horse and scratch on friday. he has one of the 3 year old stars this year for sure.

ezgoerbaby79
04-28-2009, 05:14 PM
WTH are you talking about??? And I just really love this panic over the swine flu. There are approximately 50 cases in the US, out of how many hundreds of millions? And it's hardly fatal...only if you don't have proper medical care. I don't even know what the swine flu is, but I'm pretty sure the media is blowing this thing WAY out of proportion and I'm not too worried about getting it.

lamboguy
04-28-2009, 05:59 PM
have you seen the price of the flue stocks this week, some of them went up 300%. take a look at BRCX and NVAX.

people are panic buying those equities this week.

Boris
04-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Is there a video of the workout available somewhere online?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UZr5hUwqR0

joanied
04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UZr5hUwqR0

Thank you, Boris...appreciate the link:)

Damn...I watched it several times, but I can't see anything wrong going on with his left side...no stride change, no mis step, no bobble, no tail swishing that indicates an un happy horse...I consider myself pretty good at catching something like that...but I can't see it.
What is it that you guys see:confused:
His pulling up too fast...we can't know if it was the horse or the rider pulling up...
ggggrrrrrr:bang:

newtothegame
04-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Thank you, Boris...appreciate the link:)

Damn...I watched it several times, but I can't see anything wrong going on with his left side...no stride change, no mis step, no bobble, no tail swishing that indicates an un happy horse...I consider myself pretty good at catching something like that...but I can't see it.
What is it that you guys see:confused:
His pulling up too fast...we can't know if it was the horse or the rider pulling up...
ggggrrrrrr:bang:

First off, I am FAR from an expert here....more just a casual fan who likes a wager now and then. But I can tell you that (being from New orleans), I have seen FF in life for all of his races at Fair grounds. After seeing the work here, and listening to joanie's comments about curiosity, in hindisght, FF looked alot like this here in New orleans. Leaving the saddling area, and paddock, he would often look towards the crowds as if he were looking for "something". A distraction?? I couldnt say as I don't know what the horse was thinking. but he did seem "interested ALOT" in what was going on around him. And then he would go to the track...parade..and WIN. From my perspective, his "curiosity" would dissappear once in the gate. Take it for whatever its worth....but I have to believe this is just a young horse...familiarizing himself with surroundings. Almost like finding a comfort zone...
Now can he win??? I wouldnt count him out thats for sure...he will be in ALL of the exotics I play.

joanied
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
newtothegame...
needlss to say, I enjoyed reading your post...it's always nice to get some 'inside information'... since there's been so much about FF looking here and there...he surely is a curious fellow...more curious than most, as horses are naturally curious...one reason they get themselves in trouble so often:) ...he's a smart one, I think...but, some of our members in watching that work of his (did you watch it...Boris kindly posted a link to it)...they are seeing something in his way of going they are suspect of...and before I replied to this, I got a glance at another post that FF was a very tired horse after that work... so, I guess it remains to be seen...wether or not Larry has made a mistake with this colt...which I doubt is the case:ThmbUp: I hope, I hope, I hope.

lamboguy
04-28-2009, 09:10 PM
newtothegame...
needlss to say, I enjoyed reading your post...it's always nice to get some 'inside information'... since there's been so much about FF looking here and there...he surely is a curious fellow...more curious than most, as horses are naturally curious...one reason they get themselves in trouble so often:) ...he's a smart one, I think...but, some of our members in watching that work of his (did you watch it...Boris kindly posted a link to it)...they are seeing something in his way of going they are suspect of...and before I replied to this, I got a glance at another post that FF was a very tired horse after that work... so, I guess it remains to be seen...wether or not Larry has made a mistake with this colt...which I doubt is the case:ThmbUp: I hope, I hope, I hope.

larry jones is a hall of fame trainer, in my opinion he is the best vs. any other one who has a horse on the grounds. without a doubt he has seen the same thing that i saw in the work. keep in mind he knows more about that horse than anyone else including myself. there might have been a real good reason why he worked the way he did. if there is anything to correct he will. otherwise i doubt he will throw the horse to the wolves just to run in a big race like other trainers might do. FF has a ton of ability and a huge heart.

CincyHorseplayer
04-28-2009, 09:21 PM
With the 7 weeks off I think this horse has been prepared for this race perfectly.He had a solid foundation put in him with a 1:39 mile a week or so ago and then has this work to put him on edge before the big race.The 58 and change work before the LA Derby was a similar move and put me on him and the exacta.I think this work does much the same.

Right now I'm torn between him and Revenge,but I still wouldn't take anything less than 9/2 on either.

BeatTheChalk
04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50453/friesan-fire-sizzles-in-final-pre-derby-work?id=50453&source=rss

Above is the link to the story on this work...seems they are very pleased with it, and Saez had no idea he'd gone that fast.
If they are happy with the horse...then I am too, and I ain't gonna worry about it...this horse is as fit as any of them...off his 7 weeks rest.
:)

Since the beginning of time .. Trainers have ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS
Said : " It was perfect .. just what we were looking for .." :blush:

joanied
04-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Since the beginning of time .. Trainers have ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS
Said : " It was perfect .. just what we were looking for .." :blush:

99% true...I beleive if Larry wasn't happy about anything with FF, he'd say so:)

joanied
04-28-2009, 09:33 PM
cincy and lamboguy....whew:faint: ...I was starting to think I am the only one left that has complete faith in Larry and FF... maybe FF did work a little too fast, maybe he was a tired horse after this last breeze...but he is a big, strong, powerful colt...his hind end is fantastic...and he may have galloped out like a tired horse...but hell, athletes get tired, rest up a bit, and then are on their game 100%....
and IF he isn't...Larry won't go.
Some members saw something they say on his left side while he was working...I watched the work video several times and could not see anything wrong...
I'm sticking with FF and Pioneer...but IWR scares me a little:)

Sundown
04-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Boris,
Thanks

WinterTriangle
04-28-2009, 11:06 PM
I got a glance at another post that FF was a very tired horse after that work...

Jones said "he was not blowing at all."

I don't think he would say that if FF was blowing and tired. Jones is usually very honest and upfront when he makes a "trainer" statement. I read this in one of the workout reports.

Hope this helps.

joanied
04-29-2009, 02:35 PM
WinterTriangle.thanks:ThmbUp:
IMO, you just have to beleive what Larry says, and not what 'third party' folks are saying...no one knows FF better than his trainer...and there are few trainers as honest as Larry Jones.:)

46zilzal
04-29-2009, 02:48 PM
For those works shown on HRTV I have three words: NEUTRAL density filter.

Their camera work was horrible

toussaud
04-29-2009, 02:51 PM
larry jones does not walk on water as much of a nice guy he is, and I will rather believe somone whoose sole job it is, is to go to and watch the workouts and reports what he sees, and is concered the best in the business at what he does and has no dog in the fight.

joanied
04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
larry jones does not walk on water as much of a nice guy he is, and I will rather believe somone whoose sole job it is, is to go to and watch the workouts and reports what he sees, and is concered the best in the business at what he does and has no dog in the fight.

ya know...thinking about this (and Zil...you're right, the camera work sucks)...I would beleive that FF finished up looking tired...as the experts that saw it said...but did they see him walking back to the barn and after he got there? prob'ly not...so I will assume that during that time, FF 'caught his breath', regained his composure, so to speak...and was not blowing or seeming tired once he got back to the barn...
call me an idiot if you want...but that is what I prefer to consider in judging his last work.

sally
04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Joanied-

I've got to say you stand by your man! :D And I agree, I like Jones too, but if I'm betting (which I know you aren't) I think I'm leaving FF off my tickets...

I'm thinking I Want Revenge is looking tough to beat right now--and I know you don't like the connections-- neither do I-- but I've learned that using my emotions when betting races leads to losing tickets...:(

dartman51
04-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Don't go bustin' my bubble now. I was hopin' it was an omen when FF drew #6, as that's where he was when I bet him in the first futures pool back in Feburary.
:rolleyes:

joanied
04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Joanied-

I've got to say you stand by your man! :D And I agree, I like Jones too, but if I'm betting (which I know you aren't) I think I'm leaving FF off my tickets...

I'm thinking I Want Revenge is looking tough to beat right now--and I know you don't like the connections-- neither do I-- but I've learned that using my emotions when betting races leads to losing tickets...:(

hey sally...ya gotta do, what ya gotta do:ThmbUp: ...when I get around to posting my picks here, I'll have two lists (I do this every year)...one that uses my head, the other my heart:) ...
I do agree though...IWR is gonna be very tough....unless Talamo gets himself in trouble...don't think he's ever been in the middle of a 20 horse field.

I may not stay with FF....but will be thrilled if he can do this for Larry Jones...I may go with Pioneer as my winner...

Best of luck on your bets, Sally...every year I lament that I can't place bets...maybe this time it'll be a good thing:D

joanied
04-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Don't go bustin' my bubble now. I was hopin' it was an omen when FF drew #6, as that's where he was when I bet him in the first futures pool back in Feburary.
:rolleyes:

I hope it IS an omen :ThmbUp: