PDA

View Full Version : MTH/PHA Claiming Rules

Saratoga_Mike
04-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Could someone please tell me the claiming rules for MTH and PHA? Specifically, I'd like to know if you need to be stabled at the track (similar to MD tracks) or have raced there (similar to DEL) in order to make a claim. Also, is there a requirement a horse be stepped up for a certain time frame after the claim? Thanks.

Brogan
04-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Monmouth is "open" claiming, just be licensed (owner and trainer) in NJ, and have the proper amount of cleared funds in your account. No stabling requirements. An interesting note that I checked out last year...if you have a horse claimed from you, those funds are immediately available for claiming purposes. In other words, if you have a horse claimed from you in the 1st race, you can use the claiming price towards a claim of your own in a subsequent race that same day.

You are required to run for a claiming price at least 25% greater for the next 20 days and are not allowed to run anywhere else (except in a stakes race) until the end of the meet.

Btw, in NJ when a horse is claimed they all go to the detention barn for post racing testing. If you lose a horse, its your responsibility to cool him out and stay with him until he provides the samples for testing. When you make a claim, you pick up your new horse at the detention barn.

DSB
04-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Monmouth is "open" claiming, just be licensed (owner and trainer) in NJ, and have the proper amount of cleared funds in your account. No stabling requirements. An interesting note that I checked out last year...if you have a horse claimed from you, those funds are immediately available for claiming purposes. In other words, if you have a horse claimed from you in the 1st race, you can use the claiming price towards a claim of your own in a subsequent race that same day.

You are required to run for a claiming price at least 25% greater for the next 20 days and are not allowed to run anywhere else (except in a stakes race) until the end of the meet.

Btw, in NJ when a horse is claimed they all go to the detention barn for post racing testing. If you lose a horse, its your responsibility to cool him out and stay with him until he provides the samples for testing. When you make a claim, you pick up your new horse at the detention barn.

What? All these rules? Forget it... I'm not claiming anything now.....

onefast99
04-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Could someone please tell me the claiming rules for MTH and PHA? Specifically, I'd like to know if you need to be stabled at the track (similar to MD tracks) or have raced there (similar to DEL) in order to make a claim. Also, is there a requirement a horse be stepped up for a certain time frame after the claim? Thanks.
Open claiming at MP, you pay 7% tax on the horse if it has not been claimed at the current meet prior to you claiming it. The monies are available immediately after the race to the seller. Lots of good claims have come out of MP. Once the meet ends in September you can run the horse anywhere you want to, but MP has increased a lot of its purses this year to be competitive with the surrounding tracks. Be careful of the late season claims on the J-breds even though the purses are very attractive only a few have gone on to be competitive once jersey ends the thoroughbred meet at the Meadowlands. Good luck!

Saratoga_Mike
04-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks.

onefast99
04-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Watch out for the Pletcher drop downs, not a very good stat on those!

Mineshaft
08-26-2009, 08:32 PM

Damn u race at Monmouth and dont know the rules..

Brogan
08-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Damn u race at Monmouth and dont know the rules..
It appears that sarcasm as well as the rules of racing are wasted on you.

onefast99
08-26-2009, 08:50 PM
You would be surprised on how many people forget to fill the claim slips out correctly!

Mineshaft
08-26-2009, 09:00 PM
It appears that sarcasm as well as the rules of racing are wasted on you.

trust me i know the rules

FenceBored
08-26-2009, 10:13 PM

I'm curious, industry 'leaders' are constantly crying about getting new owners into the game and claimers are the 'ready-to-race' alternative to the yearling sales. But then jurisdictions have requirements like you have to have raced there to claim there, or be stabled at the track (as opposed to a local training center?) limiting a new owner's choice of trainers. So, they're creating barriers to entry while complaining about not attracting new participants? Or, am I missing something.

Mineshaft
08-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I hate where you have to have a run a horse at the track to claim there. Stupid rule.

lamboguy
08-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Watch out for the Pletcher drop downs, not a very good stat on those!mike maker claimed a pletcher horse in the first race at saratoga yesterday for $35k, senor fuego. he win by 9 lengths, he should be able to win the starter races and then a 1x somewhere, a 3yo too. if horse stands up that looks to be a superior claim.

Mineshaft
08-27-2009, 09:25 AM
mike maker claimed a pletcher horse in the first race at saratoga yesterday for $35k, senor fuego. he win by 9 lengths, he should be able to win the starter races and then a 1x somewhere, a 3yo too. if horse stands up that looks to be a superior claim.

He can win N1X but doubt it will be at Saratoga. Lets watch and see where he runs next will decide if they like the horse or not.

Mineshaft
08-27-2009, 09:27 AM
mike maker claimed a pletcher horse in the first race at saratoga yesterday for $35k, senor fuego. he win by 9 lengths, he should be able to win the starter races and then a 1x somewhere, a 3yo too. if horse stands up that looks to be a superior claim.

No works since his last race and Pletcher usually works then 14 dyas after a race.

sarcastic answer
08-27-2009, 09:36 AM
You would be surprised on how many people forget to fill the claim slips out correctly!

People , as in pinhead trainers!

lamboguy
08-27-2009, 09:58 AM
No works since his last race and Pletcher usually works then 14 dyas after a race.i saw that too, sometimes they don't catch or record all the works though.

CTgeorge
08-27-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm curious, industry 'leaders' are constantly crying about getting new owners into the game and claimers are the 'ready-to-race' alternative to the yearling sales. But then jurisdictions have requirements like you have to have raced there to claim there, or be stabled at the track (as opposed to a local training center?) limiting a new owner's choice of trainers. So, they're creating barriers to entry while complaining about not attracting new participants? Or, am I missing something.

I've brought this very issue up before to various track management types. The answer, like so many things in racing is "but this is the way we have always done it." :bang:

Some tracks appear to get it, at least partially. For example, Caterbury actually has a link on its webpage (imagine that, a decent racetrack webpage) for people interested in becomming first-time owners.

Every track should have an "open house" day once a year for perspective new owners. Market it to young professionals with money. Open up the backside, have trainers and owners looking for partners or even looking to sell horses set up tables, have track officials on hand to answer questions, and have a "one-stop" table for licensing, fingerprints etc. Put out some food, make the perspective new owners, the very future of the sport, feel welcome, instead of putting up barriers like most tracks do now.

illinoisbred
08-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I've brought this very issue up before to various track management types. The answer, like so many things in racing is "but this is the way we have always done it." :bang:

Some tracks appear to get it, at least partially. For example, Caterbury actually has a link on its webpage (imagine that, a decent racetrack webpage) for people interested in becomming first-time owners.

Every track should have an "open house" day once a year for perspective new owners. Market it to young professionals with money. Open up the backside, have trainers and owners looking for partners or even looking to sell horses set up tables, have track officials on hand to answer questions, and have a "one-stop" table for licensing, fingerprints etc. Put out some food, make the perspective new owners, the very future of the sport, feel welcome, instead of putting up barriers like most tracks do now.
You're making way too much sense.Great ideas.I think tracks like those barriers though,- little or no fraterisation of the players on each side of the rail,-kind of a throwback mentality regarding collusion/race-fixing.

TonyK@HSH
08-27-2009, 07:37 PM

Just like Mth, Pa has an open claiming rule. Just have the owner/trainer licensed and money in the acct. In jail for 30 days in Pa and cannot race at another track for 60 days. No sales tax in Pa.

Good luck

TonyK

thespaah
08-27-2009, 08:04 PM

You are required to run for a claiming price at least 25% greater for the next 20 days ". Hence the term "in jail"....
Learned a lot about the claiming game during the short time I was in the business as a groom on the standardbred side. I kept my ears open and my mouth shut except to ask questions.

thespaah
08-27-2009, 08:11 PM
The simple explanation is tracks do not want to see trainers or owners come to claim horses and move them to race at other facilities. Claimers make up the bulk of carded races. So it is incumbent upon tack managements and jursidiction to find ways to keep fields large and competitive.
This is even more important with the advent of slot states and their ever rising purses.
New people can come in and claim, the rules are there to make sure the claimed animals remain there.
This are of course my observations based on the information given.

onefast99
08-27-2009, 08:44 PM
The simple explanation is tracks do not want to see trainers or owners come to claim horses and move them to race at other facilities. Claimers make up the bulk of carded races. So it is incumbent upon tack managements and jursidiction to find ways to keep fields large and competitive.
This is even more important with the advent of slot states and their ever rising purses.
New people can come in and claim, the rules are there to make sure the claimed animals remain there.
Exactly. The rules for claiming horses are set in stone and you cannot take your recently claimed horse from MP and run it for a tag at Saratoga. You can run your claimer in a Stakes race at another track that is permitted.

onefast99
08-27-2009, 08:48 PM
One of maybe 100 that are claimed from Pletcher and go on to do anything. I claimed one from him 4 years ago, the horse ran an 87 beyer at GP finishing 2nd in a md sp weight. Claimed him for 40k, two races after we got him he shattered his knee and was euthanized. I would never claim from Pletcher, that doesn't mean he is a bad person or a bad trainer in fact he is an excellent trainer but buyer beware!

illinoisbred
08-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Isn't that what Michael Gill has always been accused of?He claims the q uality mid to high priced claimers at a track and ships them out.I know a couple of years ago Fair Grounds refused to give him stalls.

thespaah
08-27-2009, 08:55 PM
One of maybe 100 that are claimed from Pletcher and go on to do anything. I claimed one from him 4 years ago, the horse ran an 87 beyer at GP finishing 2nd in a md sp weight. Claimed him for 40k, two races after we got him he shattered his knee and was euthanized. I would never claim from Pletcher, that doesn't mean he is a bad person or a bad trainer in fact he is an excellent trainer but buyer beware!
I have learned there trasiners one claims form and others not.
It's a fascinating game. Not only from the ownership standpoint but as a bettor f one can figure out the best claimer trainers and decipher the conditions writeen by the racing secretary, there can be significant ROI opportunites betting on claimers.

onefast99
08-28-2009, 07:47 AM
I have learned there trasiners one claims form and others not.
It's a fascinating game. Not only from the ownership standpoint but as a bettor f one can figure out the best claimer trainers and decipher the conditions writeen by the racing secretary, there can be significant ROI opportunites betting on claimers.
I have been in the claiming box for 7 years now, best track to claim at is the FG's nothing else is even close, especially when you get two trainers trying to win the training title they will drop stuff not even the owners know were in just to get the wins!

BIG49010
08-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Isn't that what Michael Gill has always been accused of?He claims the q uality mid to high priced claimers at a track and ships them out.I know a couple of years ago Fair Grounds refused to give him stalls.

It was Gulfstream that asked Gill to hit the road. Fair Grounds might have also, I don't know.

illinoisbred
08-28-2009, 08:24 AM
I have been in the claiming box for 7 years now, best track to claim at is the FG's nothing else is even close, especially when you get two trainers trying to win the training title they will drop stuff not even the owners know were in just to get the wins!
You have to be refering to Asmussen and Amoss.Can you really move-up stock claimed off them?I follow the midwest venues closely and I don't see much improving on the PP's these guys compile.