PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rudolph

Marshall Bennett
04-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Was wondering if anyone else caught his remark following race 8 at Aqueduct . He refered to the 3 horse that went down as a pretender . A complete lack of class .

Bruddah
04-25-2009, 05:17 PM
That's Ken Rudolf for you. It takes a Pretender to know a Pretender and to be classless about announcing it. :rolleyes:

ManeMediaMogul
04-25-2009, 05:35 PM
That is what happens when you hire people who don't know anything about horseracing.

It is an industry-wide problem...accountants running racetracks...lawyers at the NTRA and Breeders' Cup...racing commentators who were stand-up comedians or would like to be.

Racing would be so much better off if they hired from within.

toetoe
04-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Maybe if he obtained a clown nose, he'd find work as a reindeer ? (:Crossing fingers.)

GaryG
04-25-2009, 07:00 PM
I was sitting near someone who made a remark like that when a horse broke down at Santa Anita. I nearly got arrested but it was worth it. You'd think Rudo would have a clue by now considering how long TVG has kept him around. :mad:

BombsAway Bob
04-25-2009, 07:19 PM
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I believe the sequence of events that occured had Simon Bray saying, "We'll try to get an update on the horses' condition as soon as possible", & Ken said said something to the effect of "Let's not pretend about the condition of the fallen horse. Condolences go out to the connections."
NOTE: I don't have TIVO, so it's one of those "he said, NO...he said" situations.
If anyone has video proof that Ken said what is being alleged, please present it.
I'm not trying to be an agitator here, but this "gotcha" B.S. with TVG talent is really getting absurd!

Relwob Owner
04-25-2009, 07:28 PM
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I believe the sequence of events that occured had Simon Bray saying, "We'll try to get an update on the horses' condition as soon as possible", & Ken said said something to the effect of "Let's not pretend about the condition of the fallen horse. Condolences go out to the connections."
NOTE: I don't have TIVO, so it's one of those "he said, NO...he said" situations.
If anyone has video proof that Ken said what is being alleged, please present it.
I'm not trying to be an agitator here, but this "gotcha" B.S. with TVG talent is really getting absurd!

I hope so...I have a hard time believing he would say that and really, really hope he didnt...

JustRalph
04-25-2009, 07:35 PM
I think Bob is right.........

He was lamenting what you could see from the camera shot going across the wire...........which was the horse laying on its side in obvious distress while the field finished the race......

Although he did sound a little harsh and somewhat rough about it.......I don't think he referred to the horse as a pretender.

I also think a few riders did not go all out coming to the finish...... although I don't think it made a difference.

cj's dad
04-25-2009, 07:40 PM

I cannot believe KR made that remark !!

Marshall Bennett
04-25-2009, 07:44 PM
The comment was made as he was giving the results / payoffs , well after the race was run . Perhaps 5 min . or more . I truely beleive it was more of a slip than a well intended quote . Quite unproffesional non-the-less .

Marshall Bennett
04-25-2009, 08:12 PM
I might add that if anyone could pull up a transcript of the events and prove otherwise I will sincerely offer an apology to Ken and TVG . Until then though , I'm quite sure of what I saw and heard , although at this point , I wish I'd said nothing and waited for someone else to post .

Doc
04-25-2009, 08:23 PM
A friend of mine summed Rudolph up perfectly (and made me laugh like heck):

"A no-talent BUM."

onefast99
04-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Did the horse fall right after the start? I saw it on HRTV as they were in the stretch drive and Durkin was pleading with the riders to stay inside and not cause a collision. Anyword on the horse?

Tom
04-25-2009, 09:15 PM
He was down right at the finish line, just a bit outside, so he must have fallen there early on in the race. I had the sound off because it was TVG, so I missed the start of the race.

Tee
04-25-2009, 09:21 PM
From what I have read, Cloud Nine was put down with a fractured hind leg.

Did the horse fall right after the start? I saw it on HRTV as they were in the stretch drive and Durkin was pleading with the riders to stay inside and not cause a collision. Anyword on the horse?

Imriledup
04-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Ken didn't use the word pretender.

Simon made the statement to the audience that 'we're still awaiting information' (about the fallen horse) and ken Said "i think we saw what we needed to see with that contender. My condolences to the connections"

magwell
04-25-2009, 10:13 PM
As bad as he is..... I cant belive he would have said something like that, As long as he's been there he still makes a lot of stupid statements and still has no clue.Anyone else would have been let go along time ago.

rastajenk
04-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Racing would be so much better off if they hired from within.This doesn't have anything to do with Ken Rudolph, but this statement is so wrong. Much of racing's problems exist because they do hire so much from within, as in nepotism; wives and children and cousins etc of people who may have earned a spot in the biz, but themselves have no proven qualifications to hold the jobs they get. This begets poor customer service, entrenched old school thinking, and a smorgasbord of other ills that poorly serve the industry.

DrunkenHorseplayer
04-25-2009, 10:28 PM
All of those who complain about Rudulph have no clue whatsoever. It's not just about horse racing knowledge but about being able to speak smoothly and act polished while on camera, which is much harder than you think. If most of you had to perform his job, you'd be shocked at how many times you said er, uh, ah, you know, I mean, etc.

Tom
04-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Rudolph is an automatic volume down for me.

NJ Stinks
04-26-2009, 12:54 AM

That's how I heard it too. The reason it resonated with me was because it seemed odd that someone on TVG or HRTV would be so certain aloud that the horse had no chance to survive.

Personally, I don't think Ken meant any disrespect but it was oddly put.

thruncy
04-26-2009, 01:03 AM
[QUOTE=DrunkenHorseplayer]All of those who complain about Rudulph have no clue whatsoever. It's not just about horse racing knowledge but about being able to speak smoothly and act polished while on camera, which is much harder than you think. If most of you had to perform his job, you'd be shocked at how many times you said er, uh, ah, you know, I mean, etc.[/QUOTE His detractors here are racist morons who can't even spell the guy's last name--R-U-D-U-L-P-H.

redshift1
04-26-2009, 01:07 AM
Ken is a professional that does not sound like something he would say. Someone must of recorded TVG today they will message sooner or later with the actual sequence of words. I've never heard him make a disparging remark in the 5 years I've watched TVG.

Imriledup
04-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Ken is a professional that does not sound like something he would say. Someone must of recorded TVG today they will message sooner or later with the actual sequence of words. I've never heard him make a disparging remark in the 5 years I've watched TVG.

He didn't say it. read my post.

Wickel
04-26-2009, 01:33 AM
[QUOTE=DrunkenHorseplayer]All of those who complain about Rudulph have no clue whatsoever. It's not just about horse racing knowledge but about being able to speak smoothly and act polished while on camera, which is much harder than you think. If most of you had to perform his job, you'd be shocked at how many times you said er, uh, ah, you know, I mean, etc.[/QUOTE His detractors here are racist morons who can't even spell the guy's last name--R-U-D-U-L-P-H.

I tuned out before the incident discussed on this thread occurred. But earlier in the broadcast, while listening to Rudulph, he was so annoying and unprofessional--never serious; joking and making fun about everything like a kid. Everything's a joke to this guy. His fake voice inflections and motions are unbearable, like he's at a frat party or something. There's definitely no racism here, Thruncy. That's a major cop out. Mr. Rudulph is your moron.

thruncy
04-26-2009, 02:02 AM
RTN[QUOTE=thruncy]

I tuned out before the incident discussed on this thread occurred. But earlier in the broadcast, while listening to Rudulph, he was so annoying and unprofessional--never serious; joking and making fun about everything like a kid. Everything's a joke to this guy. His fake voice inflections and motions are unbearable, like he's at a frat party or something. There's definitely no racism here, Thruncy. That's a major cop out. Mr. Rudulph is your moron.Frankly, I leave TVG & HRTV on mute most of the time. The RTN Network* is best. No hype, no yak. *Separate dish

samyn on the green
04-26-2009, 02:24 AM
I was watching during this sequence and Rudulph called him contender not pretender. You have to wonder if the people on this board should gambling, they can't even get it right when the race is over.

Marshall Bennett
04-26-2009, 03:14 AM
If its true he said " contender " then I stand corrected and owe Ken an apology .

samyn on the green
04-26-2009, 03:47 AM
We all make mistakes. Even above I meant to type "should be gambling". Rudulph did refer to the ill fated Cloud Nine as a contender and not a pretender. If its true he said " contender " then I stand corrected and owe Ken an apology .

Marshall Bennett
04-26-2009, 09:38 AM
A formal apology has been sent to Ken Rudolph on my behalf for what appears to be a bad mistake on my part . Hope I haven't severely offended anyone here . When I'm wrong I'm wrong and will admit it without reservations . It looks as if I blew this one and once again apologize if any feelings were hurt . MB

Relwob Owner
04-26-2009, 10:21 AM
A formal apology has been sent to Ken Rudolph on my behalf for what appears to be a bad mistake on my part . Hope I haven't severely offended anyone here . When I'm wrong I'm wrong and will admit it without reservations . It looks as if I blew this one and once again apologize if any feelings were hurt . MB

Dont be so hard on yourself....just admitting you are wrong on this forum is a rarity:):)....seems from how you started your thread that you thought you heard something, made a comment on it but were also asking for confirmation....one of the great things about the forum is you can get feedback/confirmation on stuff like this.....

Relwob Owner
04-26-2009, 10:28 AM
[QUOTE=thruncy]

I tuned out before the incident discussed on this thread occurred. But earlier in the broadcast, while listening to Rudulph, he was so annoying and unprofessional--never serious; joking and making fun about everything like a kid. Everything's a joke to this guy. His fake voice inflections and motions are unbearable, like he's at a frat party or something. There's definitely no racism here, Thruncy. That's a major cop out. Mr. Rudulph is your moron.

I dont know what exactly people expect from TVG sometimes....I like the fact that Ken jokes around and I enjoy it when they have fun on the set....Do people really expect people on TVG to be both incredibly knowledgable about the sport, be hard core handicappers and be entertaining???? It is hard to do and TVG seems to try to fit people in the correct spots and does so pretty well, I think....

Also, no need to call him a moron. I have met him before and he was genuine, incredibly nice, enthusiastic and seemed to love the game....he may be irritating to you, be he isnt a moron

fmolf
04-26-2009, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=Wickel]

I dont know what exactly people expect from TVG sometimes....I like the fact that Ken jokes around and I enjoy it when they have fun on the set....Do people really expect people on TVG to be both incredibly knowledgable about the sport, be hard core handicappers and be entertaining???? It is hard to do and TVG seems to try to fit people in the correct spots and does so pretty well, I think....

Also, no need to call him a moron. I have met him before and he was genuine, incredibly nice, enthusiastic and seemed to love the game....he may be irritating to you, be he isnt a moron

JustRalph
04-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Anybody think they should have stopped the race?

Marshall Bennett
04-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Seems at the midway point of the race this could have been a consideration . Once they reached the quarter pole in full stride this may not have been an option . Imo the danger of pulling up the field at this point would be more of a danger than dodging the fallen horse , although Calvin Borel pulled this off by halting the field a while back at Oaklawn when the gate tractor malfunctioned . I beleive it was Oaklawn ? Horses seem to stray in and out when suddenly asked to stop , could result in another disaster . I'm far from an expert on this , once again just my opinion .

Tom
04-26-2009, 01:26 PM

Yes. I thought Durkin should have made an announcement that there was a downed horse on the track, but I have no idea if then actually hear him out there.

Kudo to the outriders who stayed right there holding the horse'shead - that took balls.

SaratogaSteve
04-26-2009, 02:10 PM
I was surprised he didn't make a bigger statement. I remember when Cordero got injured on the IDT, Dwyer or Imbriale repeated about 5 times "Riders, there's an emergency situation in the clubhouse turn"... Tom kind of paused, stumbled, etc.

the Post said it was Bruce Johnstone and the rider Mike Luzzi who took caution to get the horse safely out of the way...

Wickel
04-26-2009, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=Wickel]

I apologize for calling him a moron. I was just upset at an earlier post that alluded to racism and called us morons. I enjoy the fun give and take on the air. Take Mike Joyce on "The Quarters," and the whole "Quarters group in general. There's a lot of joking and ribbing. My point is that with Rudulph, there's never a serious moment. It's like watching Howie Mandel. Thank god, Simon Bray or Frank Lyons are around to steer things back to normal.

PaceAdvantage
04-28-2009, 02:34 AM
His detractors here are racist morons who can't even spell the guy's last name--R-U-D-U-L-P-H.This kind of ignorant reply pretty much deserves an automatic banishment and you're a fraud and a tool for even THINKING of posting something like this. Your agenda is crystal clear.

How about the thread a week ago that called Simon Bray an idiot? Was that a thread full of racist detractors as well?

Who indeed is the moron...

PaceAdvantage
04-28-2009, 02:41 AM
For the record, I can't for the life of me understand why there are so many threads posted here criticial of the on-air talent at TVG or HRTV or any other racing broadcast.

After watching Hank Goldberg in action all these years, how is any other racing broadcaster worthy of anything other than extreme praise? :lol:

samyn on the green
04-28-2009, 02:54 AM
Cut him some slack, people these days have been indoctrinated into believing that the race card is the trump card and can be played at all times. Good job setting him strait. This kind of ignorant reply pretty much deserves an automatic banishment and you're a fraud and a tool for even THINKING of posting something like this. Your agenda is crystal clear.

How about the thread a week ago that called Simon Bray an idiot? Was that a thread full of racist detractors as well?

Who indeed is the moron...

Relwob Owner
04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=Relwob Owner]

I apologize for calling him a moron. I was just upset at an earlier post that alluded to racism and called us morons. I enjoy the fun give and take on the air. Take Mike Joyce on "The Quarters," and the whole "Quarters group in general. There's a lot of joking and ribbing. My point is that with Rudulph, there's never a serious moment. It's like watching Howie Mandel. Thank god, Simon Bray or Frank Lyons are around to steer things back to normal.

No worries....Good reference to the quarters-I wish I was more interested in quarterhorses because those guys do seem to have fun.....I had the same reaction to the ridculous racism thought and that got me mad too.....ugh....

Your point is well taken and I understand all sides of the TVG arguments but my personal take is that I love most of the guys(dont care for Lyons or Hines) and I gotta stick up for them:)

onefast99
04-28-2009, 09:30 AM
That is a very good question. There are pros and cons to each side. The horses did hug the rail and the riders were aware of the fallen horse. The tractor incident several years back was completely different there was no place for the horses to go and the race needed to be stopped.

onefast99
04-28-2009, 09:31 AM
For the record, I can't for the life of me understand why there are so many threads posted here criticial of the on-air talent at TVG or HRTV or any other racing broadcast.

After watching Hank Goldberg in action all these years, how is any other racing broadcaster worthy of anything other than extreme praise? :lol:
Hank brings a new dimension to horse racing, has he ever hit one of those special $50 exactas using the 3/1 and 4/1 shots?

OTM Al
04-28-2009, 09:32 AM

This thread has me really confused. I had to find a calendar and look at it a very long time before I figured out it wasn't May yet....

turfnsport
04-28-2009, 02:54 PM

I printed this post out and taped it to my TV that is dedicated to watching TVG. :ThmbUp:

Has Ken released his Derby pick yet? Are they having a special show for the announcement?

Pace Cap'n
04-28-2009, 09:42 PM
I printed this post out and taped it to my TV that is dedicated to watching TVG. :ThmbUp:

Has Ken released his Derby pick yet? Are they having a special show for the announcement?

He made a believer out of me with Giacomo.

Imriledup
04-28-2009, 10:38 PM
He made a believer out of me with Giacomo.

You mean Ken picked Giacomo? Wow, i watch TVG a lot and i never knew that. What a modest guy...picks a longshot to win the Derby and doesn't tell anyone about it.

Relwob Owner
04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
You mean Ken picked Giacomo? Wow, i watch TVG a lot and i never knew that. What a modest guy...picks a longshot to win the Derby and doesn't tell anyone about it.

I can only think this a tongue in cheek response isnt it?

pandy
04-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Was wondering if anyone else caught his remark following race 8 at Aqueduct . He refered to the 3 horse that went down as a pretender . A complete lack of class .

He did not say that, you are misquoting.

Relwob Owner
04-29-2009, 07:21 AM
He did not say that, you are misquoting.

He knows that....already apologized earlier in the thread....

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2009, 03:31 AM
This thread has me really confused. I had to find a calendar and look at it a very long time before I figured out it wasn't May yet....Aww come on man...we all know you aren't a "Somebody" in racing until you're talked badly about here at PaceAdvantage...

Matt C. knows we love him...he said so on air...now Ken has felt the love...Simon too...Todd's already in the PaceAdvantage HOF...:lol:

All in good fun...

OTM Al
04-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Aww come on man...we all know you aren't a "Somebody" in racing until you're talked badly about here at PaceAdvantage...

Matt C. knows we love him...he said so on air...now Ken has felt the love...Simon too...Todd's already in the PaceAdvantage HOF...:lol:

All in good fun...

I believe you may have hit on a great truth there :)

cj's dad
04-30-2009, 10:00 AM
This thread has me really confused. I had to find a calendar and look at it a very long time before I figured out it wasn't May yet....

Only one more day Al. Imagine if they had Churchill Downs on their schedule and were part of the KD build-up.

OTM Al
04-30-2009, 10:23 AM
I actually wish they did. I liked watching the Works shows they did. I guess I must be pretty easy going because I like TVG and I'm sure I'd like HRTV if I could get it on my cable. I got no complaints against these guys because otherwise, there are a whole lot of races I'd never get to see, especially the ones from England that I really love. Hoping that continues this year. Have to get ready for the English racing offered at Saratoga. I'll listen to Ken, Simon, Todd or Matt any day at their dumbest before I'd watch something like Survivor or American Idol (I have seen those once each, which was more than enough).

jballscalls
04-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Got to meet Ken this past weekend at Hollywood Park and he couldnt have been nicer. we had a great chat and he really seems to love the game and love learning more about the game, as he's an admitted newer fan of the game over the past few years.

anyways, Ken was great to chat with!

GaryG
04-30-2009, 10:35 AM
I think he does a good job when paired with someone who is stable. However, when he works with Todd or blondie things can get pretty squirrelly.

Tom
04-30-2009, 10:50 AM
.....before I'd watch something like Survivor (I have seen those once each, which was more than enough).

Hey!

The tribe has spoken......it is time for you to go!

onefast99
04-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Hey!

Actually Tom I think that episode was about you....:lol:

Wickel
04-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Hey!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

toetoe
04-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Very little "raciness" has been posted, and already PA is the Great Race Place. :faint: .

toetoe
04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
I guess I must be pretty easy going

How true. :ThmbUp: . (:Green with envy.)

thruncy
04-30-2009, 01:48 PM
This kind of ignorant reply pretty much deserves an automatic banishment and you're a fraud and a tool for even THINKING of posting something like this. Your agenda is crystal clear.

Who indeed is the moron...Be prepared. That's the Boy Scouts' marching song. Be prepared. As through life you march along. Be prepared to hold your liquor pretty well. Don't write naughty words on walls if you can't SPELL. Yours truly, "Headlay"

Stillriledup
09-11-2010, 06:35 PM
If i hear good luck and enjoy one more time im going to toss a brick thru my televison.

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2010, 07:25 PM
If i hear good luck and enjoy one more time im going to toss a brick thru my televison.Seriously...I don't get it...should he say "I hope you lose you degenerate bastard!"?????

So pointless and ponderous this stuff is...but I know how you feel...I feel the same way when I have to read a guy like you post this same stuff over and over again....

Stillriledup
09-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Seriously...I don't get it...should he say "I hope you lose you degenerate bastard!"?????

So pointless and ponderous this stuff is...but I know how you feel...I feel the same way when I have to read a guy like you post this same stuff over and over again....

How about a 'good luck folks' or a 'go get em' and 'safe travels' or how about a 'best of luck'. Mix it up a little, you dont have to say the same exact thing for every race. I know i don't! :faint:

Saratoga_Mike
09-11-2010, 07:40 PM
How about a 'good luck folks' or a 'go get em' and 'safe travels' or how about a 'best of luck'. Mix it up a little, you dont have to say the same exact thing for every race. I know i don't! :faint:

You really like reviving old threads!

Stillriledup
09-11-2010, 07:41 PM
You really like reviving old threads!

I DO! I'm the Jesus to the lazarus of old threads! :jump:

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2010, 07:42 PM
How about a 'good luck folks' or a 'go get em' and 'safe travels' or how about a 'best of luck'. Mix it up a little, you dont have to say the same exact thing for every race. I know i don't! :faint:It's called a trademark. You know, like "And that's the way it is..." or "Now you know the rest of the story..."

It's his shtick...but you know this...

Stillriledup
09-11-2010, 07:47 PM
It's called a trademark. You know, like "And that's the way it is..." or "Now you know the rest of the story..."

It's his shtick...but you know this...

I thought 'i picked giacomo' was his trademark. I got my TM's mixed up.

thespaah
09-11-2010, 08:19 PM
How about a 'good luck folks' or a 'go get em' and 'safe travels' or how about a 'best of luck'. Mix it up a little, you dont have to say the same exact thing for every race. I know i don't! :faint:Ok....It is apparent you are not familiar with tv or radio.
Every or juts about every personality has a schtick. Or a phrase for which they are recognized.
Rudulph has his. You may not like it. I ignore it. Throwing a brick through a pperfectly good working tv is kind of silly, don't you think?

PurplePower
09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
This doesn't have anything to do with Ken Rudolph, but this statement is so wrong. Much of racing's problems exist because they do hire so much from within, as in nepotism; wives and children and cousins etc of people who may have earned a spot in the biz, but themselves have no proven qualifications to hold the jobs they get. This begets poor customer service, entrenched old school thinking, and a smorgasbord of other ills that poorly serve the industry.I agree. While there are some situations in which mentors hand down problem sovling techniques and encourage imagination and trying new things within reason, most of the answers to questions "why do we do it this way" is answered by "Because that is the way we have always do it."

thespaah
09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
It's called a trademark. You know, like "And that's the way it is..." or "Now you know the rest of the story..."

It's his shtick...but you know this..."And down the stretch they come"..."YESSSSSS!"........"intersting to note"....
Dave Johnson, Marv Albert, Vin Scully..in that order.....Seems certain individuals are not familiar with these "trademark" phrases....Oh well.

Speed Figure
09-11-2010, 08:25 PM
I thought 'i picked giacomo' was his trademark. I got my TM's mixed up.
You really sound like a BIG HATER!

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2010, 08:26 PM
You really sound like a BIG HATER!He's already admitted to harboring thoughts of destroying a perfectly good TV over it, so even though I despite the term "hater" I am going to have to agree with you on this one... :lol:

Speed Figure
09-11-2010, 08:32 PM
I would be more than happy to go and buy the bricks for him! and I BET HE WOULDN'T DO IT!

Saratoga_Mike
09-11-2010, 08:43 PM
I would be more than happy to go and buy the bricks for him! and I BET HE WOULDN'T DO IT!

Could you spend some money on a different type font first?

Speed Figure
09-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Could you spend some money on a different type font first?
No need to spend money, it's FREE!

Saratoga_Mike
09-11-2010, 08:50 PM
No need to spend money, it's FREE!

No time like the present to make the change to a more readable font.

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2010, 09:13 PM
No time like the present to make the change to a more readable font.It's his trademark! :lol:

Stillriledup
09-11-2010, 09:31 PM
"And down the stretch they come"..."YESSSSSS!"........"intersting to note"....
Dave Johnson, Marv Albert, Vin Scully..in that order.....Seems certain individuals are not familiar with these "trademark" phrases....Oh well.

Yeah, but Johnson, Albert and Scully are broadcasting stars and their trademarks are to interject excitement into the event or the play, Rudulph is just trying to annoy his listeners and he's not a star. Todd Schrupp signs off with all your photo finishes be winning. ones. (not sure why he pauses after winning, but he does) and he only says that once per day. Rudulph says GL and enjoy at least a dozen times a day. Once per day is sufficient. Even Dave Johnson doesn't pull out the down the stretch they come more than 2 times per day. I don't mind good luck and enjoy, but when i hear it 10 times in the span of 4 minutes its a little much.

Relwob Owner
09-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah, but Johnson, Albert and Scully are broadcasting stars and their trademarks are to interject excitement into the event or the play, Rudulph is just trying to annoy his listeners and he's not a star. Todd Schrupp signs off with all your photo finishes be winning. ones. (not sure why he pauses after winning, but he does) and he only says that once per day. Rudulph says GL and enjoy at least a dozen times a day. Once per day is sufficient. Even Dave Johnson doesn't pull out the down the stretch they come more than 2 times per day. I don't mind good luck and enjoy, but when i hear it 10 times in the span of 4 minutes its a little much.

I am not quite as annoyed with some others at your position but I have to ask-why on earth would you think that Ken is intentionally trying to annoy his listeners?

turfnsport
09-11-2010, 11:15 PM
I am not quite as annoyed with some others at your position but I have to ask-why on earth would you think that Ken is intentionally trying to annoy his listeners?

I will say he is super super duper especially good at doing it unintentionally.

JustRalph
09-11-2010, 11:32 PM
"why do we do it this way" is answered by "Because that is the way we have always do it."

You don't know how many times I heard this working in Law Enforcement. Drove me crazy.......... :bang: :bang:

I always took it as short hand for " Because we are too lazy to find a better way"

thespaah
09-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Yeah, but Johnson, Albert and Scully are broadcasting stars and their trademarks are to interject excitement into the event or the play, Rudulph is just trying to annoy his listeners and he's not a star. Todd Schrupp signs off with all your photo finishes be winning. ones. (not sure why he pauses after winning, but he does) and he only says that once per day. Rudulph says GL and enjoy at least a dozen times a day. Once per day is sufficient. Even Dave Johnson doesn't pull out the down the stretch they come more than 2 times per day. I don't mind good luck and enjoy, but when i hear it 10 times in the span of 4 minutes its a little much.Point understood. I agree . If you read what I had posted I said "I ingore it"( Ruduplh's schtick)...I don't let these little things bother me. You do. That is not a slight against you nor is it a character flaw.
My point is there are much bigger fish to fry. And the mute button as well.

Stillriledup
09-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Point understood. I agree . If you read what I had posted I said "I ingore it"( Ruduplh's schtick)...I don't let these little things bother me. You do. That is not a slight against you nor is it a character flaw.
My point is there are much bigger fish to fry. And the mute button as well.

I hear ya, you're right, most times i can just tune it out, once in a while it gets on my nerves.

thespaah
09-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I hear ya, you're right, most times i can just tune it out, once in a while it gets on my nerves.ok.....Good stuff!

Stillriledup
08-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Dear Ken,

On your move to greener pastures up north, i leave you with these 4 words.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

(Ken's leaving TVG for those who havent heard)

lamboguy
08-29-2011, 06:28 PM
i like him, i wish him the very best on his new venture.

PhantomOnTour
08-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Dear Ken,

On your move to greener pastures up north, i leave you with these 4 words.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

(Ken's leaving TVG for those who havent heard)
He or TVG made an announcement?
I've been working all day so i missed it if they aired something.

toussaud
08-29-2011, 07:50 PM
i like ken. what is he going to go leave to do?

picojim
08-29-2011, 08:16 PM
i like ken. what is he going to go leave to do?

Sacramento news program

Tom
08-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Maybe he hooked up with Pee Wee's Playhouse. :rolleyes:

GatetoWire
08-29-2011, 08:21 PM
It may take TVG some time to find someone just as bad to replace him.

Thank god I won't have to hear about Giacamo again.

Shelby
08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
I've always enjoyed his enthusiasm. I'll miss you Ken! Good luck and maybe you'll be back someday.

duncan04
08-29-2011, 09:09 PM
It may take TVG some time to find someone just as bad to replace him.

Thank god I won't have to hear about Giacamo again.

Come on they still got Todd Schrupp. Ken isn't that bad!

ManU918
08-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Did TVG announce this on the air today?

FlyinLate
08-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Come on they still got Todd Schrupp. Ken isn't that bad!

Ken makes Todd look like a God.
Atleast Todd can be entertaining on the evening shows.

ManU918
08-29-2011, 09:17 PM

I totally agree. Todd is a way better on air personality then Ken will ever be.

jelly
08-29-2011, 09:37 PM
I first heard about Ken leaving from the Roger Stein show over the weekend.

I didn't see much of a difference between Ken and Todd when I watched(Twinspires preferred).They both seem like good guy's who you can have a beer with,but I'm not really interested in their opinion.

TVG just doesn't get It.

Shelby
08-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I like all of the different personalities on TVG.

As to who I would listen to and take advice from? Rich Perloff and Ed Burgart. Oh and Matt Carruthers, too.

lamboguy
08-29-2011, 10:53 PM
I like all of the different personalities on TVG.

As to who I would listen to and take advice from? Rich Perloff and Ed Burgart. Oh and Matt Carruthers, too.
that is a great way to be, having a positive attitude. can't knock that

castaway01
08-29-2011, 11:04 PM
I first heard about Ken leaving from the Roger Stein show over the weekend.

I didn't see much of a difference between Ken and Todd when I watched(Twinspires preferred).They both seem like good guy's who you can have a beer with,but I'm not really interested in their opinion.

TVG just doesn't get It.

The only difference is that Todd is supposed to know something about horse racing, while Ken was supposed to be the voice of the regular fan, more of a novice than an expert. Which, as he showed on the air, he was. I know he often annoyed viewers because most of us knew more about racing than Ken did, but he was just filling the role they hired him to fill.

jelly
08-29-2011, 11:24 PM
The only difference is that Todd is supposed to know something about horse racing, while Ken was supposed to be the voice of the regular fan, more of a novice than an expert. Which, as he showed on the air, he was. I know he often annoyed viewers because most of us knew more about racing than Ken did, but he was just filling the role they hired him to fill.

Agree,after 10 years of handicapping he still came across as a bit of a novice.

Having said that,I've never heard any great insight from Todd?

PhantomOnTour
08-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Ken had one thing none of the other TVG hosts had...professional broadcasting/journalism experience.
He's an excellent technical host. Never stammers or stumbles, looks sharp, speaks clearly, and delivers like a pro...he will surely do well in a non racing environment.

duncan04
08-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Are any of the TVG guys supposed to be good handicappers. Isnt their purpose to drum up viewers and interest in their ADW??

Edward DeVere
08-30-2011, 12:16 AM
that is a great way to be, having a positive attitude. can't knock that

Sure you can.

Lou Grant: "You know what? You've got spunk."

Mary Richards: "Well, yes . . ."

Lou Grant: "I HATE spunk."

Goofyscott
08-30-2011, 12:23 AM
:lol:

Maybe he hooked up with Pee Wee's Playhouse. :rolleyes:

Goofyscott
08-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Ecspeccially when Tampa is running and bombers would hit and he would say "c'mon man, how we suppose to capp that" . Todd did hit the $110 winner Sunday nite cap at Del Mar. That never happens to that guy, or even $20 winners. LOL

Valuist
08-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Ken had one thing none of the other TVG hosts had...professional broadcasting/journalism experience.
He's an excellent technical host. Never stammers or stumbles, looks sharp, speaks clearly, and delivers like a pro...he will surely do well in a non racing environment.

Ken already has work in another environment. He's a sometime contributor to the Onion News Network.

Marshall Bennett
08-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Always thought of Ken as a very good host and a wild handicapper. I'd never let him manage my bankroll at the track while i went somewhere.

PaceAdvantage
08-30-2011, 11:10 AM
An interesting criticism, coming from someone like you who takes credit for a win by something other than your top pick...does Todd do that?

Ecspeccially when Tampa is running and bombers would hit and he would say "c'mon man, how we suppose to capp that" . Todd did hit the $110 winner Sunday nite cap at Del Mar. That never happens to that guy, or even $20 winners. LOL

PhantomOnTour
08-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Ken already has work in another environment. He's a sometime contributor to the Onion News Network.
Aye.
I saw him in a movie clip a few years ago...can't remember the movie though!
He was doing some sort of sarcastic Onion type stuff in the clip as I recall.

Look, we all know where Ken stands as a handicapper (and I've criticized him as well), but now that he's leaving i think it's best to keep the 'good riddance' comments to ourselves.
He's a very good announcer/host.

pandy
08-30-2011, 12:09 PM
I wish him the best of luck in his new job. I'm sure I'll be very good, he's a slick announcer, good voice and diction.

thaskalos
08-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Look, we all know where Ken stands as a handicapper (and I've criticized him as well), but now that he's leaving i think it's best to keep the 'good riddance' comments to ourselves.

I disagree.

We attack incompetence of all sorts here on this board...and Mr. Rudolph should not be exempt, just because he is changing jobs.

What boggles my mind, is that he spent 12 years(!) on TVG...and he made no effort whatsoever to get better acquainted with the handicapping side of this game -- so he could contribute something of value to the show, and to the viewers.

It wasn't just his picks...it was mainly the inane analysis behind them that aggravated me to no end.

People like Ken Rudolph, whether they realize it or not, are the "faces" of our sport...and that comes with a certain responsibility.

Sadly...Mr. Rudolph did not live up to his...

cj
08-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Aye.
I saw him in a movie clip a few years ago...can't remember the movie though!
He was doing some sort of sarcastic Onion type stuff in the clip as I recall.

He's a very good announcer/host.

Bruce Almighty, SWAT, and Smokin' Aces are ones I remember.

Vinman
08-30-2011, 03:39 PM
I disagree.

We attack incompetence of all sorts here on this board...and Mr. Rudolph should not be exempt, just because he is changing jobs.

What boggles my mind, is that he spent 12 years(!) on TVG...and he made no effort whatsoever to get better acquainted with the handicapping side of this game -- so he could contribute something of value to the show, and to the viewers.

It wasn't just his picks...it was mainly the inane analysis behind them that aggravated me to no end.

People like Ken Rudolph, whether they realize it or not, are the "faces" of our sport...and that comes with a certain responsibility.

"Inane" just about sums it up. Overly confrontational with his fellow announcers would also apply here.

Vinman

Irish Boy
08-30-2011, 04:50 PM
I never had a problem with him. Best of luck.

Wickel
08-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Maybe Ken's found more "value" in his new Sacramento job. The only regret I have is that we'll probably have to see more of Matt Caruthers. Oh gee!!!!!

OTM Al
08-30-2011, 05:26 PM
I disagree.

Umm, someday we all might figure out that TVG is an entertainment channel that occaisionally talks about handicapping, not a handicapping channel. He did a fine job as far as I'm concerned.

Canarsie
08-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Umm, someday we all might figure out that TVG is an entertainment channel that occaisionally talks about handicapping, not a handicapping channel. He did a fine job as far as I'm concerned.

I completely agree with this and I'm not talking about his handicapping skills. He was hired to be a host and nobody on that network moved a show along like Ken. He will do very well in the news department and it wouldn't surprise me if he moves up the ladder to something bigger than Sacramento.

We have hashed over this a million times anyway that you have to be NUTS to play their tickets and not your own. At least he never ate food on the set that drove me insane.

I have to be completely open and have had a few private messages with him but that does not effect my opinion one bit. In fact he was the first person (host/analyst) to admit (to me) that they objected to putting out tickets for every P4 but had no other option.

He has a young boy I wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.

GatetoWire
08-30-2011, 07:01 PM

I would agree except there is a ton of time spent on handicapping and very little outside of the Late Double spent on entertaining.

It's 90% angled at betting/handicapping

Tom
08-30-2011, 08:11 PM
It is basically an infomercial for throwing your money away at TVG on Pic 6 wagers.

I have more respect for the Pocket Fisherman than TVG and more respect for Curly Howard than Rudolph - a true dolt, IMHO.

Tom
08-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Maybe Ken's found more "value" in his new Sacramento job. The only regret I have is that we'll probably have to see more of Matt Caruthers. Oh gee!!!!!

You know, I can't stand Matt, but at least he picks some winners and talk about racing during his periods of coherence.

rrpic6
08-30-2011, 08:45 PM

Is that why Donna Barton Brothers was hanging around last weekend? I think they share the same hairdresser and make-up artists.

RR

statepierback
08-30-2011, 08:57 PM

Kind of sums up my view. In recent months he seemed to allow his wagering losses to affect his on air performance. He's better off without TVG

Golf and Horses
08-30-2011, 09:55 PM
An interesting criticism, coming from someone like you who takes credit for a win by something other than your top pick...does Todd do that?
And what's wrong with that? Especially when he even states at the beginning of his selections that he plays the top 2 picks to win and the 3rd and 4th if they are 5-1 or higher. I don't chime in much, but this just seemed like a petty shot from you.

Relwob Owner
08-30-2011, 10:19 PM

An interesting comment, considering you recently said this to me:

Why drag in other threads? That has no bearing on what has happened in this thread. But it does show where your biases lie...interesting...

PaceAdvantage
08-31-2011, 12:35 AM
And what's wrong with that? Especially when he even states at the beginning of his selections that he plays the top 2 picks to win and the 3rd and 4th if they are 5-1 or higher. I don't chime in much, but this just seemed like a petty shot from you.Goofy took a petty shot at Todd S, and I rightly called him on his hypocrisy. Sorry you don't agree.

PaceAdvantage
08-31-2011, 12:38 AM
An interesting comment, considering you recently said this to me:

How exactly am I dragging in another thread? See my reply to Golf.

This board has enough moderators, even though I consistently see you pining for a spot on the team...color me still unimpressed with your credentials to date....

Golf and Horses
08-31-2011, 12:59 AM
Pace, I re-read Goofy's post, he is clearly giving Todd S. props for picking a $110 winner. He is ripping Ken R. as are many others. I just don't see the hypocrisy or the connection to his selection threads. But anyway...Ken R. seemed like a guy that should be doing mainstream news. He just seems like that type of personality. BTW...I don't know Goofyscott...nor do I play his selections...end of disclaimer.

Marshall Bennett
08-31-2011, 05:25 AM
You know, I can't stand Matt, but at least he picks some winners and talk about racing during his periods of coherence.
I've struggled trying to figure out Matt over the years. Imo he's without a doubt the best analyst on either network. For some strange reason it never seems to translate to the tickets he post. I've often wondered if he truly post the tickets he actually plays himself. It's no secret he's a heavy gambler. The more people play his tickets, the less the return for himself. Would explain his longshot singles on his pick4/pick6 tickets which I've never understood. His picks on individual races seem to be more reliable.

ManU918
08-31-2011, 06:39 AM
I've struggled trying to figure out Matt over the years. Imo he's without a doubt the best analyst on either network. For some strange reason it never seems to translate to the tickets he post. I've often wondered if he truly post the tickets he actually plays himself. It's no secret he's a heavy gambler. The more people play his tickets, the less the return for himself. Would explain his longshot singles on his pick4/pick6 tickets which I've never understood. His picks on individual races seem to be more reliable.

I have heard Matt state on several occasions that on my "TVG ticket I have this due to the limits they put on us but on my personal tickets I will have this". I firmly believe when they have a check mark winner, or post a pick 4, 5, or 6 ticket its an imaginary bet that they could careless about.

Relwob Owner
08-31-2011, 07:41 AM
How exactly am I dragging in another thread? See my reply to Golf.

This board has enough moderators, even though I consistently see you pining for a spot on the team...color me still unimpressed with your credentials to date....

His picks are on other threads and you are bringing those threads into this one to point out . You got on me for doing it, yet you did it yourself-pretty simple.....nothing personal, just making a point that I think is valid. Surprised you cant see my point but oh well, agree to disagree.

As far as me "pining for a spot on the team" and you being "unimpressed with my credentials", Im sorry that you dont seem to care for some of my contributions on here but I can live with that. You could have left your response to the first two lines but then you had to take shots at me, which is unfortunate.

ManU918
08-31-2011, 07:51 AM
Just curious... Has TVG released any statement regarding this?

Canarsie
08-31-2011, 08:03 AM

I respect Matt's handicapping ability its his antics that drive me nuts. Once Vic told a joke that was pretty funny and Matt just stared at him. To me it was Matt saying "you don't laugh at your own jokes first?" without saying a word. Plus that "ho ho ho" routine has to go its awful. He's really not funny imo.

I do believe he plays most of his tickets after a race at a minor track a few years ago I was shocked when he said " I had $3WP on the horse". That showed me a lot of class keeping it real he easily could have stated 'I hammered it".

PaceAdvantage
08-31-2011, 10:46 AM
As far as me "pining for a spot on the team" and you being "unimpressed with my credentials", Im sorry that you dont seem to care for some of my contributions on here but I can live with that. You could have left your response to the first two lines but then you had to take shots at me, which is unfortunate.I'm sure you realize my comments on your contributions were restricted solely to those many that have critiqued the state of moderation around here...you seem to relish the role of "moderator police."

Wickel
08-31-2011, 01:25 PM
I respect Matt's handicapping ability its his antics that drive me nuts. Once Vic told a joke that was pretty funny and Matt just stared at him. To me it was Matt saying "you don't laugh at your own jokes first?" without saying a word. Plus that "ho ho ho" routine has to go its awful. He's really not funny imo.

I do believe he plays most of his tickets after a race at a minor track a few years ago I was shocked when he said " I had $3WP on the horse". That showed me a lot of class keeping it real he easily could have stated 'I hammered it".

Well said on the antics. His midday program has the potential to rise to the top but the immature antics are unbearable. I really don't know what to think about his handicapping; don't know how early he has to get his picks in and analyze race. This being said, I find his analyses are wrong more times than not, and I attribute this to his reliance on early-speed types. He fails to understand minor details like a sprinter stretching out is going to affect the pace--on average--more than a router who shows speed.If you want strong analysis, you can't beat Perloff and Frankie M.

toussaud
08-31-2011, 01:30 PM
58 flat is basically mad money, except without the genius money man running the show.

Relwob Owner
08-31-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm sure you realize my comments on your contributions were restricted solely to those many that have critiqued the state of moderation around here...you seem to relish the role of "moderator police."

Hey Pace,

Thanks for the clarification. I think your perception of my posts on here is based on past posts and not more current ones. In the past, some of my posts got into the "moderator police" types and that wasnt productive at all. Like anything, you get your footing on here, try and participate and contribute in as positive a way as possible and I have tried to do that. If I have slipped in the recent past, it may have been as a reaction to something else said and it wasnt my intention to get into past habits.

I posted on this thread about your comment only because you had singled me out on another thread for something and I felt like you were doing the same thing that you called me out for and that resulted in a pretty human reaction on my part by pointing it out.

Bottom line is that there is no point in myself or anyone else giving opinions on the moderation because ultimately, this is your ballfield and you set the rules. You and the other moderators do what I am sure is at times a pretty thankless job but doing it results in this being a pretty solid place IMO.

Back to the thread-I really liked Ken overall, as he brought life to the show and also always seemed interested in the sport and the fans. I have met him and the other guys from TVG a few times and they were all incredibly nice. Ken was the same way off camera as he was on in terms of his enthusiasm and attitude. Perhaps he could have tightened up his handicapping so that he would have more credibility when he had handicapping thoughts but noone is perfect. Like someone else on here said, he was a pro at moving the broadcast along and keeping things moving. I think he will be missed.

dinque
08-31-2011, 03:10 PM
the only people on tvg who i learn from are rich p, frank m and matt in that order...i think matt can be funny at times and awful at others but i think those three are always honest about their opinions and you can tell what horses they really like and what they are just selecting to fit the tvg format...if mad money is that show with jim spencer, he is to stocks what jimmy the greek was to sportsbetting... a total clown....

bitter
09-01-2011, 03:54 PM
only recently got the TVG channel
on sunday, ken talked me off the chalk and on to the 3rd choice, f*cker cost me a $35 triple on a $24 ticket... he can't leave soon enough!!!!!

duncan04
09-01-2011, 04:11 PM
only recently got the TVG channel
on sunday, ken talked me off the chalk and on to the 3rd choice, f*cker cost me a $35 triple on a $24 ticket... he can't leave soon enough!!!!!

Don't know why people keep listening to the TVG guys.