PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Park / Report Card

Igeteven
04-25-2009, 01:07 PM
How does the members feel about the first few days

Can anyone give a report card on how they feel?

Me, too many short fields!

andymays
04-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Too many short fields. I think they're doing the best they can with what they've got. The next couple of weeks will tell the story for the rest of the meet.

So far I give them a C+ for effort and a C- for quality of racing.

Tom
04-25-2009, 04:03 PM
If they cared about the bettors, they would run less days.
Obviously, they care about as many trainers getting as many checks as possible. Welfare.

Surprised they aren't running 12 a day 6 days a week.

BELMONT 6-6-09
04-25-2009, 04:09 PM
The short field situation has been a part of the Hollywood meets for the past few years...it appears they are helpless to remidy the problem or flat out do not care figuring the bettors will always show up.

Watcher
04-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Anyone noticed that Lone Star Park has full fields even though they're running a majority $7,500 claiming races? I've been surprised.

(I post this because I recently relocated from LA to Dallas, so am use to Hollywood fields).

JohnGalt1
04-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Anyone noticed that Lone Star Park has full fields even though they're running a majority $7,500 claiming races? I've been surprised.

(I post this because I recently relocated from LA to Dallas, so am use to Hollywood fields).

A good racing secretary should card races for the horses on site. Obviously that's what Lone Star is doing.

Another example is Hoosier with a gate that holds only 10 horses they average over 9 horses per race. They card mostly 4k and 5k claimers because that's the majority of their horse population.

Marshall Bennett
04-26-2009, 10:14 AM

A bonus for the casual observer , a nightmare for an average handicapper .

maxwell
04-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Ask the person(s) who hit the P6 for 277 grand yesterday. :)

chickenhead
04-26-2009, 05:41 PM
I wasn't around yesterday...but I see Hollywood had to chuck some money into the P6 pool....how much was wagered, anyone remember?

trying2win
04-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm guessing this is the kind of results that many bettors are getting after using conventional handicapping on polytrack races at places like Hollywood Park and others, then sending in their bets online:

http://www.yahoofreak.com/animated%20emoticons/Funny%20Animated%20Emoticons/lamer.gif (http://www.yahoofreak.com/funny-emoticons)

T2W
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
~"You know horses are smarter than people. You never heard of a horse going broke betting on people."

--Will Rogers

lamboguy
04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
i think they will have more of a decrease in handle than santa anita just did. and del-mar with their summer meet will have a bigger decrease than hollywood.

what has happened to the southern california product these days?

trying2win
04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
what has happened to the southern california product these days?

IMO, the negatives:

1. TOC :ThmbDown: That organization has been discussed many times here at PA. I don't recall too many accolades going their way from horse players.

2. TRACKNET :ThmbDown: I don't like some of their policies that hinder enjoyment of playing the horse races. Again, this outfit has been discussed many times here at PA as well.

3. POLYTRACK :ThmbDown: Many bettors have already stated their dislike of these kind of racing surfaces, when they are trying to handicap. They are speaking with their wallets at many pollytrack venues now. Handles are dropping at many of these polytracks, and I suspect it's not just the economy. Are you paying attention California tracks?

4. Too many four and higher horizontal and vertical gimmicks being offered :ThmbDown:, although the high rollers might disagree. Offering too many of these kind of gimmicks sure doesn't help the churn factor. These kind of gimmicks deplete the bankroll pretty fast for the average Joe or Jane, who hope to get 'lucky' and hit it big by betting too much of their bankroll on these 'hope and pray' type of bets.

5 CHRB :ThmbDown: They've started talking of rasing takeouts again. Are they crazy or ??? Hello CHRB...once again may I remind you...the universal law is 'GIVE AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE', not 'TAKE AND SHALL RECEIVE'. Take my advice, and nix raising the takeout notion. The CHRB doesn't have a money problem...they have an idea problem.

IMO, the positives:

1. Allowing more ADWS to carry the California thoroughbred signals. :ThmbUp:

2. Allowing ADWS carrying the California thoroughbred signals, to offer rebates. :ThmbUp: Still, Tracknet needs to get rid of that ridiculous clause of limiting ADWS to offer no more than 2 % on rebates.

3. California tracks have amongst the lowest takeouts of all the racetracks in the U.S. or Canada: :ThmbUp: Check and compare with the chart below:

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=trktkout&header=off

------------------------------------------------------------------------
~"There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else."

--Sam Walton

BillW
04-26-2009, 07:42 PM

That chart isn't totally accurate. The exotics are a half point higher at all Ca tracks.

Relwob Owner
04-26-2009, 08:08 PM
IMO, the negatives:

1. TOC :ThmbDown: That organization has been discussed many times here at PA. I don't recall too many accolades going their way from horse players.

2. TRACKNET :ThmbDown: I don't like some of their policies that hinder enjoyment of playing the horse races. Again, this outfit has been discussed many times here at PA as well.

3. POLYTRACK :ThmbDown: Many bettors have already stated their dislike of these kind of racing surfaces, when they are trying to handicap. They are speaking with their wallets at many pollytrack venues now. Handles are dropping at many of these polytracks, and I suspect it's not just the economy. Are you paying attention California tracks?

4. Too many four and higher horizontal and vertical gimmicks being offered :ThmbDown:, although the high rollers might disagree. Offering too many of these kind of gimmicks sure doesn't help the churn factor. These kind of gimmicks deplete the bankroll pretty fast for the average Joe or Jane, who hope to get 'lucky' and hit it big by betting too much of their bankroll on these 'hope and pray' type of bets.

5 CHRB :ThmbDown: They've started talking of rasing takeouts again. Are they crazy or ??? Hello CHRB...once again may I remind you...the universal law is 'GIVE AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE', not 'TAKE AND SHALL RECEIVE'. Take my advice, and nix raising the takeout notion. The CHRB doesn't have a money problem...they have an idea problem.

IMO, the positives:

1. Allowing more ADWS to carry the California thoroughbred signals. :ThmbUp:

2. Allowing ADWS carrying the California thoroughbred signals, to offer rebates. :ThmbUp: Still, Tracknet needs to get rid of that ridiculous clause of limiting ADWS to offer no more than 2 % on rebates.

3. California tracks have amongst the lowest takeouts of all the racetracks in the U.S. or Canada: :ThmbUp: Check and compare with the chart below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
~"There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else."

--Sam Walton

Very, very solid analysis...great post

andymays
04-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Very, very solid analysis...great post

Ditto!

trying2win
04-26-2009, 08:44 PM
That chart isn't totally accurate. The exotics are a half point higher at all Ca tracks.

Thanks for the update, Bill. :ThmbUp: I didn't know that.

T2W
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

~"I made a wrong mistake."

--Yogi Berra

JustRalph
04-26-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't get it with this poly stuff

I can't play Keeneland at all......for shit.

I am decent at Santa Anita

I suck at Arlington

Presque Isle I might as well draw numbers from a hat..........

I am deadly at HOLLYWOOD ????? Always have been...........weird ....... :bang: :bang:

rwwupl
04-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Ditto!

Very Good observations.

I Agree, Double Ditto ;)

Imriledup
04-26-2009, 10:25 PM
The only Polytrack in California is Del mar. All the other tracks have different surfaces. GG (tapeta) Hol (cushion) SA (pro ride)

Its funny how all the different tracks in So Cal all have different surfaces. God forbid that they should all have the same surfaces so that horseplayers can actually use trip notes from previous meets. What are you going to do with your hollywood notes when Del mar opens? I'll tell you...you're going to use them to line the bottom of your birdcage.

toussaud
04-26-2009, 10:25 PM
the one synethic track I can play, why i don't now is arlington park. I love arlington park. that and churchill are my bread and butter. I guess they run there so long, and they are for the most part cheap horses so they don't do a heck of alot of shipping, a horse will get alot of starts in throughout the meet. it doesn't take long to know who likes and who doesn't. but I don't think about playing for the first month or so. usually around my birthday (fathers day) I dive in.

trying2win
04-27-2009, 06:12 AM
I neglected to mention the odd other thing on my 'NEGATIVES' and 'POSITIVES' about California thoroughbred tracks:

Another NEGATIVE:

--On the part about track takeouts, it appears that the tracks on the California fair circuit have a 1.34 % higher takeout on all bets compared to the major thoroughbred tracks. :ThmbDown: I recall reading about it in the past, but I can't remember the reason (IMO, also known in this case, as a lame excuse) why someone (CHRB maybe or ???) gave permission to the fair circuit to take out a higher percentage. I wonder how many horse players were aware of these higher, fair circuit takeouts?

--More POSITIVES:

--Free live video of major California thoroughbred races at the www.calracing.com (http://www.calracing.com/) site. :ThmbUp: The part I don't like, is I noticed that if I want to watch these videos now, I have to reapply. However, this time instead of just my name and an email address, they want my home address. Sorry, Cal Racing, I don't wish to give my home address to you. Why should that be a requirement? Mind you, I guess I could gave a fake address. How would they know the difference? Then I wouldn't get extra junk mail sent to me via snail mail.

T2W
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
~"I looked up my family tree and found out I was the sap."

--Rodney Dangerfield