PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu

michiken
04-25-2009, 08:21 AM
I find it interesting that a possible epedemic of the Swine flu has broken out in Mexico right after Obama visited the country.

Wasn't the swine flu once thought to be an engineered virus rumored to be distributed by the government?

Tom
04-25-2009, 09:40 AM
:lol::lol::lol: Typhoid Barry!

boxcar
04-25-2009, 10:23 AM
I find it interesting that a possible epedemic of the Swine flu has broken out in Mexico right after Obama visited the country.

Wasn't the swine flu once thought to be an engineered virus rumored to be distributed by the government?

Well, we know how this administration feels about a good crisis, don't we? I mean...it would be downright inhumane to leave millions of Mexicans at risk in their own country. And where else could they go...except to cross our border? I'm confident BO will do the right thing. The government is probably cranking out more of those plastic food stamp cards and printing more money to cover the projected amount of the welfare checks, as we speak.

Boxcar

boxcar
04-25-2009, 10:24 AM
:lol::lol::lol: Typhoid Barry!

Yeah...I wonder if BO will get blamed for this outbreak like Bush was blamed for Katrina. :lol:

Boxcar

Marshall Bennett
04-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Quarantine the White House ... for four years !! :lol:

boxcar
04-25-2009, 10:51 AM
And the halls of Congress, too!

Boxcar

Tom
04-25-2009, 10:53 AM
What did anyone expect? Look at all the pork Obama has been handling lately.

boxcar
04-25-2009, 11:04 AM
What did anyone expect? Look at all the pork Obama has been handling lately.

Uh, oh...his fingerprints are all over this swine flu. He is trying to create a crisis. :eek: :eek:

Boxcar

ArlJim78
04-25-2009, 09:35 PM
this guy meets Obama (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aEsNownABJ6Q&refer=worldwide), and drops dead the very next day.

"The first case was seen in Mexico on April 13. The outbreak coincided with the President Barack Obama’s trip to Mexico City on April 16. Obama was received at Mexico’s anthropology museum in Mexico City by Felipe Solis, a distinguished archeologist who died the following day from symptoms similar to flu, Reforma newspaper reported. The newspaper didn’t confirm if Solis had swine flu or not. "

Tom
04-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Think Obama has it?
He could be a carrier.
Better lock him up until we know.

Greyfox
04-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Ha ha as you want.

I don't consider a potential epidemic to be a laughing matter, and if one of your's dies, nor will you.

If this continues, this would be worse than 9/11 by far.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/25/AR2009042503128.html

beertapper
04-26-2009, 02:12 AM
it's no laughing matter.. there is a case of school kids having a mild version in new york city already

take the right precautions, mainly washing hands

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/guidance_homecare.htm?s_cid=tw_epr_61

boxcar
04-26-2009, 10:18 AM
it's no laughing matter.. there is a case of school kids having a mild version in new york city already

take the right precautions, mainly washing hands

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/guidance_homecare.htm?s_cid=tw_epr_61

And whatever else you may do, don't shake BO's hand.

Boxcar

Rookies
04-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Ha ha as you want.

I don't consider a potential epidemic to be a laughing matter, and if one of your's dies, nor will you.

If this continues, this would be worse than 9/11 by far.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/25/AR2009042503128.html

ABSOLUTELY, IT COULD !

Trust the usual suspects to yuck it up for political gain in the fact of a possible Pandemic 5. I have some experience with some of these terrible things both professionally and because Toronto was Ground Zero for a SARS outbreak a few years back.

It is no laughing matter. People die quickly. And if an immediate, government-medical response of the top professional talents in dealing with these virii are not brought together asap, those totals can easily grow exponentially. It has already crossed into the U.S.

Rookies
04-26-2009, 11:04 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090425.wflunew0425/BNStory/National

"WHO Director-General Margaret Chan said the outbreak of the never-before-seen virus has “pandemic potential.” But she said it is still too early to tell if it would become a pandemic.
“The situation is evolving quickly,” Ms. Chan said in Geneva. “A new disease is by definition poorly understood.”

WHO lays out three criteria necessary for a global epidemic to occur: The virus is able to infect people, can readily spread person-to-person and the global population has no immunity to it. Out of the many cases in Mexico reported, relatively few samples have been tested.

Early detection and treatment are key to stopping any outbreak. WHO guidance calls for isolating the sick and blanketing everyone around them with anti-viral drugs such as Tamiflu.

Now, with patients showing up all across Mexico and its teeming capital, simple math suggests that kind of response is impossible."

Show Me the Wire
04-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Swine flu just part of the process of the laws of natural selection. The people that survive will pass healthier immune systems to their progeny. As with all diseases loved ones will be lost. Let us pray and hope that this process will be very limited.

Tom
04-26-2009, 01:12 PM
One would think that those who are evolutionists would understand survival of the fittest. Apparently not.

But I agree with Boxcar - stay away from Typhoid Barry.
No telling where his hands have been.

exactaplayer
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
"Gov. Rick Perry today in a precautionary measure requested the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provide 37,430 courses of antiviral medications from the Strategic National Stockpile to Texas to prevent the spread of swine flu."

Rookies
04-26-2009, 09:31 PM
"Gov. Rick Perry today in a precautionary measure requested the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provide 37,430 courses of antiviral medications from the Strategic National Stockpile to Texas to prevent the spread of swine flu."

Classic Con !

The Federal Government is the devil incarnate, until such time as they realize that some problems are waaaayyy bigger than a deluded red state "freedom lover" . That's the point when they stain their pants and cry for help ! Nice U-turn, Rickey.:lol:

But at least YOU came to your senses and didn't think a potential pandemic is a laughing matter...

Tom
04-26-2009, 10:12 PM
You guys let Sars out again? :rolleyes:

Steve 'StatMan'
04-26-2009, 10:54 PM
How many out there still want open immigrartion policies? Not tying to kick Mexicans, just trying to note that immigation was always controlled in the past for a number of reasons. Economics & Jobs has always been one. But disease control, at least before advanced medicines, was always an important one - I believe there was a reason long ago for having immigrants out on Ellis Island until they were checked out health-wise, and away from the main population. Having people come here unmonitored, sometimes smuggled in bunches in close quarters, from a country with a growing health epidemic is brewing has "big problems" written all over it.

Tom
04-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Ya think? :rolleyes:

HUSKER55
04-26-2009, 11:51 PM
mEMORY seems to be failing, but didn't we have a swine flu epidemic back in the 70's that everyone got vaccinated for.

anyone have a better memory than me?

Thanks

Floyd
04-27-2009, 12:08 AM
didn't we have a swine flu epidemic back in the 70's that everyone got vaccinated for.
anyone have a better memory than me?

Yes we did, but my memory is no better than yours. Google gave me this. (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol12no01/05-1007.htm)

Zenyatta To Crush
04-27-2009, 01:17 AM
To me, I think people are getting a little too scared of this Swine Flu. Some people are writing articles how it could kill tens of thousands of people. I'm fairly confident that in a couple months from now, we won't be talking about this anymore and it won't be nearly as bad as what people had feared. If I'm wrong, I guess I'll probably get it at some point...so with my last few keystrokes before I die, I'll post on this thread how I was dead wrong.

hcap
04-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Swine flu just part of the process of the laws of natural selection. The people that survive will pass healthier immune systems to their progeny. As with all diseases loved ones will be lost. Let us pray and hope that this process will be very limited.Isn't the development of medical science, immunization, and 21st century technology also "part of the process of the laws of natural selection"?

Evolution includes culture and knowledge and is more than just biological. The evolutionary growth of the brain is both.

Unless boxcar can prove the earth is only 6000 years old. :D

Social evolution is a subdiscipline of evolutionary biology that is concerned with social behaviours, i.e. those that have fitness consequences for individuals other than the actor. Social behaviours can be categorized according to the fitness consequences they entail for the actor and recipient. A behaviour that increases the direct fitness of the actor is mutually beneficial if the recipient also benefits, and selfish if the recipient suffers a loss. A behaviour that reduces the fitness of the actor is altruistic if the recipient benefits, and spiteful if the recipient suffers a loss.

sally
04-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Swine flu just part of the process of the laws of natural selection. The people that survive will pass healthier immune systems to their progeny. As with all diseases loved ones will be lost. Let us pray and hope that this process will be very limited.

Actually, the survivors will pass weaker immune systems on...this disease kills those people will healthy immune systems, that's why mostly young adults have died...

not to get too technical, but this disease causes "cytokine storms" where your immune system over-reacts, slaughtering the invading germs to such an extent that they clog up your lungs and you die. People with less than healthy immune systems survive since their immune systems are weaker...

Like in 1918.... quite interesting actually...

so.cal.fan
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I had a friend visit us here in Sierra Madre last week.
He was travelling back home to New Zealand.
Upon his return, several students on the plane from Los Angeles with him, are suspected of having this flu. They had been in Mexico on holiday.
My friend is now on his ranch under quarantine.

Show Me the Wire
04-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Actually, the survivors will pass weaker immune systems on...this disease kills those people will healthy immune systems, that's why mostly young adults have died...

not to get too technical, but this disease causes "cytokine storms" where your immune system over-reacts, slaughtering the invading germs to such an extent that they clog up your lungs and you die. People with less than healthy immune systems survive since their immune systems are weaker...

Like in 1918.... quite interesting actually...

Okay let me correct myself. Proper phrasing should have been immune systems that would be more efficient in fighting like kind future disease. The concept of natural selection continuing adaption is still apllicable.

So in 1918 the population with weaker immune systems survived and the population with the stronger did not. Therefore, we can conclude weaker immune systems were needed to combat future flu strains, since there has not been another outbreak similar to 1918.

FWI I contracted the original swine flu in the 70's. I can already hear the ha ha's. That particular flu was very nasty and life-threatening.

Show Me the Wire
04-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Unless boxcar can prove the earth is only 6000 years old. :D

Why the attack on boxcar? My post was not addressed to him nor had anything to do with him.

I don't recall boxcar ever saying laws of natural selection do not apply. I recall boxcar stating The Theory of Evolution is a theory and does not explain origination of the species no matter how old the earth.

BlueShoe
04-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Press the panic button everyone,the sky is falling,the sky is falling!What the hell is wrong with everyone?Less than 100 cases nationwide so far,no deaths.In the time it takes for me to type this post,how many US citizens will have died from the usual natural causes and from violent causes such as vehicle crashes?The 1918-1920 epidemic killed about 20 million worldwide.The US has had flu outbreaks before that killed hundreds,if not thousands.Take the usual precautions and forget about it.Perhaps this might be a good time for us to stay away from the track or otb site,right?Prediction;the Derby crowd attendence will be down because of this scare.

Tom
04-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Democrats are particularly vulnerable to the flu. It is spread easily by hands, and dems always have either their hands in our pockets or their thumbs up their.....gloves! :lol:

hcap
04-28-2009, 05:27 AM
Why the attack on boxcar? My post was not addressed to him nor had anything to do with him.

I don't recall boxcar ever saying laws of natural selection do not apply. I recall boxcar stating The Theory of Evolution is a theory and does not explain origination of the species no matter how old the earth.The 6000 year old Earth "theory" is not conducive to evolution working properly. Box, is extremely distrustful of the scientific evidence supporting the multi-billion year age of the planet. He once linked to a bible scholar who maintained the old testament should pretty much be taken "as is". Ask him about is understanding of physics. And magnetic fields.

Meanwhile your take on Darwinism is also misguided. Evolution within a social organization gives rise to magnanimity. And knowledge and shared benefits like science and technology for humanity. Grits' dog has developed her own version of compassion and love. Social animals eventually do. Instinct alone is not the explanation for your dog at your door anxiously awaiting your return.

An interesting way of reconciling religion and God.

Show Me the Wire
04-28-2009, 12:34 PM
So you attacked boxcar, even though he did not participate in this discussion, because his view does not support your world view of how natural selection should work. Very compassionate of you. And I foolishly beleived that compassion was one of the most important values of humanity.

Now I have seen it go to the dogs

Actually, my view of Darwin's work is factually accurate. Thank you for your concern.

BTW would like to give me the citations, in Darwin's Theory, for the concept "And knowledge and shared benefits like science and technology for humanity"? Whatever that declartion of yours is suppose to mean.

boxcar
04-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Sheesh! I'm under "attack" again -- by the likes of 'cap, no less. 'Cap, get back on your meds, will ya? You're so boorish during your withdrawal periods.

Boxcar

Show Me the Wire
04-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Watching the administrations news conference about swine flu. This administration has to be the most inept and clueless one ever. The great bumpkin presidency saga continues.

They are more worrried about U.S. commerce than containing any potential outbreak. This has to have my progessive compatriots cringing to hear the administration is more worried about the falling price of corn than people contracting the disease, a disease which may already be responsible for two U.S. deaths.

ddog
04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
the role of the federal gvt has ALWAYS been about commerce.

It was founded on that basis.

no shock there.

we have sent many to their happy hereafter in the name of commerce.

or as we like to call it in Orwellian terms-- "vital interests".

:D

Show Me the Wire
04-28-2009, 04:31 PM
I know. That is why we have hte commerce clause. It is also formed for the common defense and welfare of the people.

It's president bumpkin and his entourage. They are so inept, crass and offensive to people's intelligence.

hcap
04-28-2009, 06:37 PM
So you attacked boxcar, even though he did not participate in this discussion, because his view does not support your world view of how natural selection should work. Very compassionate of you. And I foolishly beleived that compassion was one of the most important values of humanity.

Now I have seen it go to the dogs

Actually, my view of Darwin's work is factually accurate. Thank you for your concern.

BTW would like to give me the citations, in Darwin's Theory, for the concept "And knowledge and shared benefits like science and technology for humanity"? Whatever that declartion of yours is suppose to mean.I mainly attacked you for a limited understanding of evolution. Boxcar is well aware of how myself and others feel about his willful avoidance of "the age of the universe" question. His continuing refusal to deal with science pretty much negates any opinion he may have on how the world works. But yes. I thought I would rattle his chain a bit. So what? It was not an attack personally. I reserve that for dealing with him directly, usually in response to him attacking me first.

I actually "attacked" his 6000 year earth age theory.
Look a few post back #35. He attacked me already :D as "Sheesh! I'm under "attack" again -- by the likes of 'cap, no less. 'Cap, get back on your meds, will ya? You're so boorish during your withdrawal periods. :lol:

Evolution is a growing science. It has moved beyond your simplistic take.

Social evolution is a subdiscipline of evolutionary biology that is concerned with social behaviours, i.e. those that have fitness consequences for individuals other than the actor. Social behaviours can be categorized according to the fitness consequences they entail for the actor and recipient. A behaviour that increases the direct fitness of the actor is mutually beneficial if the recipient also benefits, and selfish if the recipient suffers a loss. A behaviour that reduces the fitness of the actor is altruistic if the recipient benefits, and spiteful if the recipient suffers a loss.

dutchboy
04-28-2009, 07:41 PM
25,000 to 30,000 people die each day in the world as a result of malnutrition. A few more from the flu will not matter.

boxcar
04-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey, 'cap, Evolution is more than a growing science. It's an ever, ever, ever evolving er...theory.

Btw, 'cap, what if God created this world with the appearance of age? Would not the world appear older than it really is? Or is this something that would be too difficult for God to do?

Boxcar

Floyd
04-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Btw, 'cap, what if God created this world with the appearance of age? Would not the world appear older than it really is? Or is this something that would be too difficult for God to do?

Boxcar

That (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/tips/firearms.html) sounds (http://www.oldandsold.com/articles01/article495.shtml) like (http://home.ivillage.com/decorating/technique/0,,7rpb,00.html) a very (http://skepdic.com/yec.html) plausible (http://www.gluckman.com/ChinaFraud.html) theory. (http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/fakes/electro.htm)

boxcar
04-28-2009, 08:37 PM
That (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/tips/firearms.html) sounds (http://www.oldandsold.com/articles01/article495.shtml) like (http://home.ivillage.com/decorating/technique/0,,7rpb,00.html) a very (http://skepdic.com/yec.html) plausible (http://www.gluckman.com/ChinaFraud.html) theory. (http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/fakes/electro.htm)

I just knew you'd like it. :D

Boxcar

Floyd
04-28-2009, 08:41 PM
I just knew you'd like it. :D

Boxcar
Oh, stop it, Boxcar. My girlfriend is getting jealous! :blush:

Secretariat
04-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey, 'cap, Evolution is more than a growing science. It's an ever, ever, ever evolving er...theory.

Boxcar

So are you saying God is trying to dupe us? if so, maybe Bush did talk to him after all. It would explain a lot of things.

boxcar
04-28-2009, 10:52 PM
So are you saying God is trying to dupe us? if so, maybe Bush did talk to him after all. It would explain a lot of things.

No, but are reaching that erroneous conclusion? And what part of "faith" don't you understand?

Boxcar

michiken
04-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Ok kiddies, I started this thread to mock our president NOT EACH OTHER.

46zilzal
04-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Viruses are the worst. Viruses mutate so rapidly and are able to take on the genetics of similar ones, that only time will tell WHEN, not IF, one of these strains approaches the virulence of the 1918 pandemic (which called off the Stanley Cup playoffs that year when a goalie died), and start to kill young healthy people.

Imagine a scenario like Reston, Virginia (this same scenario was used in the movie Outbreak). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_Reston
where one strain which allowed the virus to become an airbourne contagion, mixed with Ebola.

or the Marburg virus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marburg_virus

Small airbourne or transfered on on hundreds of fomites, they can ravage a population. It is best to be prepared at all time.

Greyfox
04-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Ok kiddies, I started this thread to mock our president NOT EACH OTHER.

michiken: You've been down-graded in my appraisal of you if that was the case. I hope you are just being sarcastic and somehow I've missed it..
The last thing this thread should have been started for was to mock any person on this planet, including the President, the previous Administration or anyone else.
Your above comment unfortunately makes you look like ....Sim...

The Thread is an important one.

Greyfox
04-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Viruses are the worst. Viruses mutate so rapidly and are able to take on the genetics of similar ones, that only time will tell WHEN, not IF, one of these strains approaches the virulence of the 1918 pandemic (which called off the Stanley Cup playoffs that year when a goalie died), and start to kill young healthy people.

Imagine a scenario like Reston, Virginia (this same scenario was used in the movie Outbreak). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_Reston
where one strain which allowed the virus to become an airbourne contagion, mixed with Ebola.

or the Marburg virus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marburg_virus

Small airbourne or transfered on on hundreds of fomites, they can ravage a population. It is best to be prepared at all time.

Once again, how refreshing it is to have you back 46zilzal.

You mention the 1918 pandemic that my Grand Mother had, and almost died from. She lived, but...never forgot to warn me that "You never know."
In my own life, I've had opportunity to talk to a few people, long gone, who had that horrible experience. One of them as a child of seven, was able, to serve his family of 7 with soup. They all survived.
I think 46zilzal, as you are probably well aware, that while there is no reason to panic, there is no reason to brush it off either.
Thank you for your post.

http://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

facorsig
04-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Sales of pork products have been suspended in Abu Dhabi.

Tom
04-29-2009, 10:03 AM
OBama said today to wash your hands.
Gee, mine got dirty checking my tire pressure.
Is this a vicious dem cycle, or what????????

Actually, I washed my hands of Obama a long time ago.

sally
04-30-2009, 06:43 PM
So, as of right now, there has been one death in the US out of 109 cases and that was a Mexican baby visiting Texas from Mexico...

I don't understand, if this flu is like the 1918 one why is it only Mexicans that are dying?? Why are the other cases outside Mexico NOT dying?

Isn't this a little unusual?

:confused:

Tom
04-30-2009, 07:11 PM
The only people in a tizzy are the government.
They never let a good disaster go unused.

This is a good doge - takes their 100 days of failure out of the headlines.

But Obama is withholding valuable information about the flu, and I wnat to know why.

Last night, he told us to wash our hands.

But for how long?
What water temperature?
What kind of soap?
Should we air dry them or use a towel?
Paper or cloth?

So many unanswered questions....how can we fight this pandemic if our nanny won't give us information??????

Tom
04-30-2009, 07:25 PM
nr0qdqBRC-c