PDA

View Full Version : which pp's are the best and why?

fmolf
04-25-2009, 02:19 AM
I have used the racing form for 30 yrs ,then i was given a laptop by my son and discovered brisnet ultimate pp's.I find them to be a lot better than the paper form... I have also used equibase pp's as they are what are in the nyra on track programs.has anybody used formulator for any length of time? I have tried them but find it very time consuming to use besides having to decide which angles to explore in depth!would enjoy everyones feedback on this.

dav4463
04-25-2009, 03:34 AM
I am so used to the Daily Racing Form that everything else looks foreign to me.

fmolf
04-25-2009, 04:16 AM
I was the same way but i tried brisnet ultimate pp's. I find their is so much more relevant information in them....in their ultimate pp's their is traner stats...jockey stats..pedigree ratings...class ratings...race ratings telling you the quality of the competition in each horses every race....an overall rating i have found to be excellent called prime power..and the last page is stats on % of favs that win that class and distance of race..and a track and post position profile detailing what is winning for the whole meet and the past week....then two charts listing horses key stats in an easily read format making it easy to compare horses numbers to each other.....their pace figures i find to be excellent.i believe the racing form print edition is being phased out and all their eggs are going into the formulator basket...they have not improved the print edition while raising the price last year!

kenwoodallpromos
04-25-2009, 04:58 AM
I like all the info in the Ultimate PP's, rating needed to win , but I like marking up a paper also!

raybo
04-25-2009, 07:04 AM

Know what you mean. That is the very reason that I designed my handicapping spreadsheet to "mirror" the layout of the DRF and added a few columns for my own numbers. I use Bris $1 .drf data files.

JohnGalt1
04-25-2009, 08:56 AM
I use Bris Premium pps, but I don't like the wet/turf breeding number. I buy Dan Serra's turf and off track rating book.

I sometimes use Post Time Daily pps at $1.50 per card, and they have Serra's numbers. But Post Time Daily doesn't have the trainer stats under the work outs like Bris and the Racing Form.

BELMONT 6-6-09
04-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Afew years ago I found it a very difficult transition going from the physical copy of the daily racing form to it's on line version ,or any other online past performances. It just felt better to write my notes on the paper.

JohnGalt1
04-25-2009, 09:46 AM
I print them using draft mode to save on ink expense. I print one card on one side of the paper, then print another days card on the other side.

And I delete the unimportant data on my copy. Since I compute my own pace ratings I don't have Bris's pace ratings on my form.

Bubba X
04-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Formulator - I use it and love it. I think it's the best handicapping tool ever developed. I'm not a big angles fan but the pull downs on prior races are phenomenal. Takes some time to get the hang, yes, but I'm a big fan.

DeanT
04-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I had never tried the Trackmaster programs until we contacted them to ask if they would want to offer them out for the HANA betting days. I like them a lot and I think the platinums are as good as anything I have seen out there.

If you have not seen them, we have them free for the HAW 6th race today that we are betting into.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/2009/04/past-performances-and-more-available.html

fmolf
04-25-2009, 11:54 AM
I had never tried the Trackmaster programs until we contacted them to ask if they would want to offer them out for the HANA betting days. I like them a lot and I think the platinums are as good as anything I have seen out there.

If you have not seen them, we have them free for the HAW 6th race today that we are betting into.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/2009/04/past-performances-and-more-available.html
thank you Dean..... are these the same pp's that appear in the nyra programs?.... I also like to make notes on paper and i print out the card odd pages first then reverse them back into the printer ... then i use a three hole puncher and put them in race order into a small hardcover binder to take to the track with me... this looks and reads like a paper form..without the ink smudges on my fingers .....the binder has side pockets in it for a tiny flat calculator and pens..... brisnet i believe offersthe most and best info for your dollar!

miesque
04-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I started using BRIS Ultimate PPs w/Comments probably about 5 years ago when someone I knew enthusiastically recommended I switch to Brisbet and since I know that this was someone that was so price sensitive (aka cheap) I felt pretty confident that it was one if not the best values of the options available (which it has been). I like the fact that there is much more information available on them versus the DRF PPs, the only purpose of getting the DRF PPs is the Beyer Figures which is why if I am going to the track I will often buy them to use as an addendum. Now I have friends who look at the BRIS Ultimate PPs and say, that is way too much information and prefer the DRF version, so its really personal preference. I don't think there is such a thing as too much information in handicapping. I agree with the comment regarding the BRIS Offtrack/Turf figs they what I consider to be the weakest link in the PPs, fortunately I have a decent enough understanding of pedigrees that I don't need to rely on them. If there is a substantial turf element to the card (such as at Colonial Downs) I will also get the Equibase E Graphs because I like their Class Graphs as supplemental information for turf races and have hit some lucrative exactas and tris based on it. Since I print out and bind my own PPs, I can set up that the three sets of PPs for each race are together separated by a divider with the race number on it. I will sometimes use Formulator and what I most like about that software is the filter elements and lifetime PPs (which is great for those hard knocking older claimer races). The problem with Forumulator is its now web-based and well most tracks don't have Wi-Fi so unless I am somewhere like Santa Anita, Arlington Park or Keeneland that has Wi-Fi its pretty useless.

fmolf
04-25-2009, 12:23 PM
I started using BRIS Ultimate PPs w/Comments probably about 5 years ago when someone I knew enthusiastically recommended I switch to Brisbet and since I know that this was someone that was so price sensitive (aka cheap) I felt pretty confident that it was one if not the best values of the options available (which it has been). I like the fact that there is much more information available on them versus the DRF PPs, the only purpose of getting the DRF PPs is the Beyer Figures which is why if I am going to the track I will often buy them to use as an addendum. Now I have friends who look at the BRIS Ultimate PPs and say, that is way too much information and prefer the DRF version, so its really personal preference. I don't think there is such a thing as too much information in handicapping. I agree with the comment regarding the BRIS Offtrack/Turf figs they what I consider to be the weakest link in the PPs, fortunately I have a decent enough understanding of pedigrees that I don't need to rely on them. If there is a substantial turf element to the card (such as at Colonial Downs) I will also get the Equibase E Graphs because I like their Class Graphs as supplemental information for turf races and have hit some lucrative exactas and tris based on it. Since I print out and bind my own PPs, I can set up that the three sets of PPs for each race are together separated by a divider with the race number on it. I will sometimes use Formulator and what I most like about that software is the filter elements and lifetime PPs (which is great for those hard knocking older claimer races). The problem with Forumulator is its now web-based and well most tracks don't have Wi-Fi so unless I am somewhere like Santa Anita, Arlington Park or Keeneland that has Wi-Fi its pretty useless.
i do not use pedigree much in my handicapping except maybe with first time on grass. i too was overwhelmed by the sheer amt of info containe in the bris ultimate/comments now i have learned to cull what i deem pertinent info for each race... track bias an profile information is very helpful...I also like the beyer numbers but i have grown accustomed to the bris ones now... would like to fiddle around with formulator at home but i never seem to have enough time to get used to using it effectively!I bought the book trainer angles with formulator... but still need to sit down and actually play with it the whole day before the races ..it can be a very useful tool... i am not really computer savvy like others here

BombsAway Bob
04-25-2009, 12:57 PM
While I prefer Paper Edition DRF, I've fallen in love with the online DRF PP's. Having played LosAL Full time, hundredths of a second are vital in 220Y-300Y races.
DRF online allows you to use hundredths of a second for fractions as opposed to 1/5th's on all their track PPs.
Ironicallly, LOS ALs' online PP's available for purchase on their website, use hunredths of a second for the QHorse races, but 1/5ths' for their T'Bred races! Another notation that I make on my PP's when capping.. I always mark the change in distance from a horses' last race to today's distance in Yards, not furlongs.. For Example, if a race is being run @ Mile & 1/16th, and the #1 is coming out of a 7F race, i'll note "+330" next to him. If the #2 is coming out of a mile & 3/8's race,he would get a "-550" notation. A Subtle but effective tool,imo

NJ Stinks
04-25-2009, 01:09 PM
I like both DRF and Brisnet PP's. But I'm not likely to print PP's from my computer - probably too lazy and/or cheap. So if I'm playing from home I may use Brisnet if the track's PP's are not in the DRF paper copy.

One thing worth a mention is that I do buy the Wizard's Daily Selections at Brisnet in one scenario. Let's say I'm going to play Saratoga and 4 of the 10 races are on the turf. But it's raining up there and likely to be off the turf. The Wizard includes off the turf selections too and I've done pretty well with them in off the turf races where I'm otherwise opinionless.

fmolf
04-25-2009, 02:44 PM
I like both DRF and Brisnet PP's. But I'm not likely to print PP's from my computer - probably too lazy and/or cheap. So if I'm playing from home I may use Brisnet if the track's PP's are not in the DRF paper copy.

One thing worth a mention is that I do buy the Wizard's Daily Selections at Brisnet in one scenario. Let's say I'm going to play Saratoga and 4 of the 10 races are on the turf. But it's raining up there and likely to be off the turf. The Wizard includes off the turf selections too and I've done pretty well with them in off the turf races where I'm otherwise opinionless.
interesting.....does that work at the other nyra tracks...usually i just pass the race unless i have opinions in the race before or after and bet a p3 or 4...i may investigate that angle....my wife bought me a kodak printer a cheap one and it works great for pp's..cost per copy is half of what a normal printer costs...plus she does not want me screwing up hers...lol...she is an elementary school teacher!

NJ Stinks
04-25-2009, 03:17 PM
interesting.....does that work at the other nyra tracks...

Yes it does. You can look at Wizard's Archived Daily Selections for prior days for free at the link below.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/wiz_archive.cgi?type=wds

fmolf
04-25-2009, 03:23 PM
thanks... i think i will

mannyberrios
04-25-2009, 07:22 PM
:1:Whobets picks work for me

lamboguy
04-25-2009, 07:52 PM
all sets of pp's don't get you the money. i use turfday stats, my memory, my replay's and a few of my friends.

Milleruszk
04-25-2009, 08:50 PM
One of the smartest things have done to cut costs was to purchase a Brother black and white laser printer. It prints on both sides of the paper and I can get a toner cartridge for $40. This cartridge is good for 2000-5000 copies. You can buy one of these printers for $100.

Fingal
04-25-2009, 09:55 PM
One of the smartest things have done to cut costs was to purchase a Brother black and white laser printer. It prints on both sides of the paper and I can get a toner cartridge for $40. This cartridge is good for 2000-5000 copies. You can buy one of these printers for $100.

When I got a new computer & needed a printer, I got a HP Laser. The toner cartridges cost more, but they last FOREVER unlike the other kind. I download the TSN .50 single comma deleted, that way I can run it through most programs & also use the FREE custom software that TSN provides to custom make the PPs the way I want them As I'm only a win bettor, I only print out my contenders & then only the last 4 running lines & the last 4 works, this way I usually get a race per sheet or 2 of paper. And if I want to see the full history, all I need to do is change the parameters on the program that shows on the monitor. This way I get a sheet to take to the track that I've made notes on while saving on paper & ink.

dav4463
04-25-2009, 10:24 PM
With the ultimate pps, how do you decipher all that extra information?

It seems like the more info I have about a race; the more I start to out-think myself. I start doubting my plays more and more because something jumps out at me about a horse I would not have considered using the DRF. More often than not (much more often), I will take a flyer on a horse that I should not even bet!

Then, I will say, Ok, just stick to the top three or four Prime Power horses....that's when one of the angles pops at a big price....which with the DRF, I might have played the horse, but because he was #7 on the prime power rating; I backed off!

I zig and zag and lose when I have too much information.

Give me Beyer numbers, jockey win percent, running lines, and the class of the competition and I do very well. Anything else muddles up the picture!

Hajck Hillstrom
04-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Brisnet Ultimate PP's are, IMHO, the best product on the market.

cmoore
04-26-2009, 12:31 AM
I used to use the Ultimate pps..But I switched over to the procaps data files at TSN..I use those in the pp generator..I print them the way I want. TSN speed, class, and race figures seem to be more accurate then Bris numbers. I'll print the Bris Ultimate summary sheets sometimes to see what runstyle and post positions are more favorable..Also on the Ultimate summary sheet they have spi, dpi and AWD numbers..These help when betting first time starters. I make sure I place a bet so I don't get charged for them..I also use the quick play pps and insider picks and power plays. These sheets are included in the procaps package. Quick play pps don't have class and race ratings. I refer to my procaps software when I use those.

I purchased a Dell 3000cn printer about 3 years ago..I set the ink on draft mode and minimize the page scaling percentage to 92% to save on ink.One toner cartridge at dell costs around 42 bucks..It lasts over 5000 sheets using my settings..I've already had to replace my toner drum cartridge...That cost me 160 bucks..It needed replaced again but found out that I could replace the chip on the side of it and keep using it..The chip cost less then 20 bucks..I recently found toner cartridges for 20 bucks cheaper online..I ordered one and am using it right now to see if they last as long as the Dell toner cartridges..

I also use the top sire lists and race reports and breedingwinners.com..Totally free..

juanepstein
04-26-2009, 01:16 AM
I used to use the Ultimate pps..But I switched over to the procaps data files at TSN..I use those in the pp generator..I print them the way I want. TSN speed, class, and race figures seem to be more accurate then Bris numbers. I'll print the Bris Ultimate summary sheets sometimes to see what runstyle and post positions are more favorable..Also on the Ultimate summary sheet they have spi, dpi and AWD numbers..These help when betting first time starters. I make sure I place a bet so I don't get charged for them..I also use the quick play pps and insider picks and power plays. These sheets are included in the procaps package. Quick play pps don't have class and race ratings. I refer to my procaps software when I use those.

I purchased a Dell 3000cn printer about 3 years ago..I set the ink on draft mode and minimize the page scaling percentage to 92% to save on ink.One toner cartridge at dell costs around 42 bucks..It lasts over 5000 sheets using my settings..I've already had to replace my toner drum cartridge...That cost me 160 bucks..It needed replaced again but found out that I could replace the chip on the side of it and keep using it..The chip cost less then 20 bucks..I recently found toner cartridges for 20 bucks cheaper online..I ordered one and am using it right now to see if they last as long as the Dell toner cartridges..

I also use the top sire lists and race reports and breedingwinners.com..Totally free..

an deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

two egg rolls,sweet sour pork and egg fu yung.

no! an den!

no! an den!

no! an den!

cmoore
04-26-2009, 01:36 AM

two egg rolls,sweet sour pork and egg fu yung.

no! an den!

no! an den!

no! an den!

Ok Mr. No pps....:eek::)

juanepstein
04-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Ok Mr. No pps....:eek::)

dude you know where thats from?

fmolf
04-26-2009, 02:31 AM
With the ultimate pps, how do you decipher all that extra information?

It seems like the more info I have about a race; the more I start to out-think myself. I start doubting my plays more and more because something jumps out at me about a horse I would not have considered using the DRF. More often than not (much more often), I will take a flyer on a horse that I should not even bet!

Then, I will say, Ok, just stick to the top three or four Prime Power horses....that's when one of the angles pops at a big price....which with the DRF, I might have played the horse, but because he was #7 on the prime power rating; I backed off!

I zig and zag and lose when I have too much information.

Give me Beyer numbers, jockey win percent, running lines, and the class of the competition and I do very well. Anything else muddles up the picture!
i know exactly what you are talking about you have to have confidence in your method of handicapping.when a horse you like is not one of the top three beyer figs in the race do you still bet it?I'll bet you do if the angle has worked for you before....same with bris...their ratings are their.. and for use in the total handicapping process. your angles will still work no matter who's pp's you use have faith in them. i also used the form and the reason horses are longshots is because they have form defects in their pp's otherwise they would be lower priced

Hajck Hillstrom
04-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Brisnet Ultimate PP's are, IMHO, the best product on the market.Handicappers don't live by PP's alone.

I also use Turfday Superstats and a visual assessment, with each comprising about 33% of my methodology.

fmolf
04-26-2009, 01:09 PM
another reason i use bris ultimaye is i can go back (because i save summary sheet and track bias section in a binder)when handicapping a race and look to see if a horses number was earned against a bias

Tom
04-26-2009, 01:21 PM
I use CJ's PP output - simply because the pace and speed figures and the variations of them are the best there are anywhere. Nothing is close.

fmolf
04-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I use CJ's PP output - simply because the pace and speed figures and the variations of them are the best there are anywhere. Nothing is close.
i have not heard of these where can i find samples and what is the price of them?