PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Tote

monkeybus
04-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Hello folks,

Maybe this is a stupid question....

I am in Japan and am dipping my first toe into the track.

The tote board here has Win returns like "200", but the Place/Show returns are quoted like "180 - 210". Two numbers.

I note that Hong Kong is the same?

I am looking at analysing the Tote board for inneficiences, but what is going on? Do the numbers indicate a projected range for Place/Show?

Thanks, and please accept my apologies in advance.

Dave Schwartz
04-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Best guess is that net-pool pricing has hit Japan.

I did not see that when I was there in 2002. Which track are you visiting?

Overlay
04-24-2009, 09:47 AM
If it were net-pool pricing, wouldn't there be a range of values shown for the win bet also?

If it's just place and show bets where this occurs, I would think it's more likely that the values posted represent the range of possible returns on a place or show bet on each horse, based on calculation of all possible place and show payoffs that would result at the time of that particular flash from the full range of combinations that could finish first, second, or third. (I've seen this at tracks in the U.S., also.)

Welcome to the board, by the way!

monkeybus
04-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Nakayama race track.

I've got a high-res photo my friend took of the tote board I'll post, if anyone is interested.

How about this - The track take is a whopping 25%. What are the chances of the DR Z system producing any kind of profit with such a miserly payback?

Thanks for the answers so far.

Dave Schwartz
04-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Monkey,

If you get a chance, check out the WINS facility. It will blow your mind.

The one I went to was in Yokohama - 8 stories of ticket writers - 1,000 windows!

Dave

juanepstein
04-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Hello folks,

Maybe this is a stupid question....

I am in Japan and am dipping my first toe into the track.

The tote board here has Win returns like "200", but the Place/Show returns are quoted like "180 - 210". Two numbers.

I note that Hong Kong is the same?

I am looking at analysing the Tote board for inneficiences, but what is going on? Do the numbers indicate a projected range for Place/Show?

Thanks, and please accept my apologies in advance.

i could be completely wrong but those might be $1 payouts and they are leaving out the decimal point.

so it $1.80 to $2.00

might be wise to compare odds between japan and us pools and play on a u.s. site if you can because you might get better returns. the person who sets the morninlines for the u.s. pools is a complete moron.

Dave Schwartz
04-24-2009, 04:27 PM
As I recall, Japanese payouts are for $5.

Overlay
04-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Also (just as a question), being a Japanese track, would the payoffs be posted in dollars or yen? (I think $1.00 currently equals approximately 97 yen.)

monkeybus
04-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Minimum stake is 100yen. That's the lowest meaningful denomination of currency worth bothering with over here. Payoffs are multiples of 100yen.

http://chrismonkee.googlepages.com/DSC_1214.jpg/DSC_1214-full.jpg

monkeybus
04-24-2009, 10:28 PM
might be wise to compare odds between japan and us pools and play on a u.s. site if you can because you might get better returns. the person who sets the morninlines for the u.s. pools is a complete moron.

How do I bet on American pools?

Every site I have visited wants a social security number, something that this Englishman don't have.

juanepstein
04-24-2009, 10:34 PM

Every site I have visited wants a social security number, something that this Englishman don't have.

it wont be worth it anyways.

i forgot we only see japanese races maybe twice a month.

you can always set up an account on TAB and compare with what the aussie are playing.

beertapper
04-25-2009, 02:57 AM
i think value could be found in some of the graded races..

the star horses tend to get really overbet by the public there...eg deep impact, vodka. casual fans want a ticket just to be a part of the winning 'team'...

great horses, but they won't win every race... this is just a casual observation.

nice tote board...it's a shame they don't have multi-race exotics there.

startngate
04-25-2009, 09:26 AM

Every site I have visited wants a social security number, something that this Englishman don't have.Try link2bet.com. They carry quite a few US tracks and bet into the pools. I think they are out of the Isle of Mann.