PDA

View Full Version : Why buy racing cards?

nucsub
04-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Why are we buying electronic racing cards? The margin between a negative ROI and a positive ROI is slim enough....When you add up the track "vig", computer costs, travel, parking, admission fees, the unknown variables, etc....why are we adding to this overhead by buying racing cards?

My program currently parses the full chart results necessary to develop Track Par figures, horse Pace figures, and race results info (for my self-tuning program). When I started looking at all the information that can be obtained by "parsing" all the data from the full chart results, I realized its time to cut the "Brisnet/TSN" cord.

I am working on pulling all the information from the full chart results, developing Pace figures, Speed ratings, Track Par figures (to normalize the horses ratings). I will extract and compile jockey, trainer, wps figures, horse earnings, etc. This should also lead to trainer methodologies, etc.

Does anyone see a problem with what I am suggesting? Your comments would be appreciated!

www.BeatThePublic.com
www.jzambuto.com
j.zambuto@verizon.net

sjk
04-24-2003, 07:26 PM
I haven't bought a form, program or other pps for years. Your approach works for me, but it takes quite a bit of time and effort to get things to work. Also you need to follow all tracks or you will be wondering if a horse has run at a track you do not follow.

nucsub
04-24-2003, 07:30 PM
thanks for your comments.
Yes, I have beening parsing all major tracks for about 18months. Have you developed your own speed, pace ratings, jockey, trainer data, etc.

www.BeatThePublic.com
www.jzambuto.com
jzambuto@verizon.net

sjk
04-24-2003, 07:33 PM
I use the black box approach discussed in another thread. My program calculates the speed figures and other factors it needs to calculate an odds line. Then I find and bet the overlays.

Zaf
04-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Joe,

Sounds feasable. Lets just hope that Bris/TSN doesn't cut the cord on free charts.

ZAFONIC

takeout
04-25-2003, 12:41 AM
Having to follow all of the tracks was the first thing that crossed my mind. And what do you do with firsters and Euro shippers?

SAL
04-25-2003, 01:15 AM
I don't know.... seems like a lot of trouble to save fifty cents. I used to be amazed at a friend of mine, who used to go to the track and bet hundreds of dollars during the course of the day, but was always borrowing my racing form because he was too cheap to buy his own.

Suff
04-25-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by SAL@NETCAPPER
I don't know.... seems like a lot of trouble to save fifty cents. I used to be amazed at a friend of mine, who used to go to the track and bet hundreds of dollars during the course of the day, but was always borrowing my racing form because he was too cheap to buy his own.

Sal....Ditto,,,,,,And funny. Because I know more people that refuse to buy the rcaing form. And it is a complete head scratcher to me. If I had $10.00. I'd spend $5.00 on the form. To me..I stand a better chance of making hay with $5.00 and the Form than with $10.00 and an entry list.

But another point I'll make that I have made over and over on threads similiar to this. I enjoy Handicapping races. I enjoy pouring over the PP's. I've seen people proclaim......"I can Handicapp an entire card in 5 Minutes with my new "Program"

I say ...so? What fun is that? I like Handicapping using the PP's. I have no interest in eliminating, shortening, streamlining or avoiding reading the form. If I could'nt handicap using PP's. I'd probably lose interest in the game. Half the fun iis Banging around the Horses,, The angles, The hunchs and throwing in my experience and laying it on the Line with my wallet. Its the Challenge I love...........coupled with the winning.

rmania
04-25-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Sufferindowns
...Half the fun is Banging around the Horses,, The angles, The hunchs and throwing in my experience and laying it on the Line with my wallet. Its the Challenge I love...........coupled with the winning. I totally agree with you on this.
Banging around the horses is “true” handicapping.
I bang them around them as well... All of them.
Of course, if you’ve read my posts (and I’m sure you have) then you know that the way I bang’em is a little different than most. And even though the guidelines I set are very productive, there’s still room for the occasional angle, hunch and common sense.

lousycapper
05-02-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Sufferindowns
Half the fun iis Banging around the Horses,, The angles, The hunchs and throwing in my experience and laying it on the Line with my wallet. Its the Challenge I love...........coupled with the winning. [/B]

As a neophyte to horse racing my only goal is to make money with my handicapping skills. My theory is if you've seen one race you've seen 'em all. Maybe that's because I'm young. Yet I feel you have to be pragmatic about anything concerning money... Just an oppinion.

-L.C.

nucsub
05-06-2003, 06:59 AM
Does anyone know where on the web you can get Official Program Numbers (without having to buy a racing card?).
Somewhere to parse the numbers?

www.BeatThePublic.com
www.jzambuto.com
j.zambuto@verizon.net

sjk
05-06-2003, 07:24 AM
The TSN early programs have the program numbers.